Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
GeauxFish

Malibu stealth kayak seat?

I just got my first kayak and took it out this weekend. The Malibu stealth 12 foot is a nice kayak from what I can tell. However the break of dawn seat is not very comfortable after five hours of fishing. Any advice on a seat that can be purchased that will offer more back support and possibly elevate the body off of the molded frame of the kayak?
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
HobieScot

I'm not familiar with that kayak or seat options for it but as for the seat bottom you can find a cushion designed to be used on a kayak

I had a molded rubber one that helped remove that feeling of sitting on the hard plastic of the kayak all day. But then I found an inflatable one that worked even better.

I got it at OEX. I can't remember but it might be a hobie brand. I'll check when I get home

The inflatable one keeps my skinny little ass comfortable all day. It has a self inflating valve that allows you to adjust how much air you want in it. It's maybe an inch thick when fully inflated.

One of the best upgrades I've purchased for the kayak and it should work with any seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
Cbad Mike

I have one of those foam kick boards that you see at pools under the seat of my stealth . Works well.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
summers in kuwait

On my old Tarpon 120 I used to have a really low quality seat. It would kill my back and my Hank Hill butt. I picked up one of these and cut it to shape. You can velcro or attach if needed. Kneeling Cushion

Worked for me.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxFish View Post
I just got my first kayak and took it out this weekend. The Malibu stealth 12 foot is a nice kayak from what I can tell. However the break of dawn seat is not very comfortable after five hours of fishing. Any advice on a seat that can be purchased that will offer more back support and possibly elevate the body off of the molded frame of the kayak?
No shit, I felt the same way. I went to West Marine and picked up this seat kayak seat Way better but still not perfect. I would like more support in the lower lumbar but if I could I would put a recliner in the seat but that just isn't going to happen.

They also have these seat cushion

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
GeauxFish

Cool thanks for the tips. I have a self inflating ground seat cushion I use for turkey hunting. Gonna give that a try this weekend. If that does no good. Gonna go through the other suggestions til something works for me.
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #7
Fishin' Magician

I just bought a new seat for my Malibu Stealth 12 a couple of weeks ago from Andy at OEX. Much, much better than the seat that I had been using. It was around $200 but well worth it.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
On my old Tarpon 120 I used to have a really low quality seat. It would kill my back and my Hank Hill butt. I picked up one of these and cut it to shape. You can velcro or attach if needed. Kneeling Cushion

Worked for me.
some friends call me Hank, and my last name is Hill, and yes, I do have a Hank Hill butt. The Ascend seat seems pretty comfortable but so far the longest time I've spent in it is 5 hours.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #9
HobieScot

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441201980.962883.jpg
This is the air cushion I use. It works great and keeps me comfortable all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote