Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Tin Slayer 28

Anyone in need of a gaff? Let me know, as I have a nice Calcutta supply and stainless hooks or Mustad hooks and many options to customize your gaff.
Tin Slayer 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Rocketfish

Guys, I'm still new to yak fishing but am slowly building up to going out to open waters. If you gaff a fish, is it guaranteed dead? If I wanted to catch and release something big like some of the yellows you all are catching, can I gaff it, and then release it?

I don't know of any other way to secure a huge fish like that to remove the hook easier than gaffing it. Or do some of you use those fish grips to de-hook the fish?

I would LOVE to order one of these awesome looking gaffs though. How do I do that?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
Guys, I'm still new to yak fishing but am slowly building up to going out to open waters. If you gaff a fish, is it guaranteed dead? If I wanted to catch and release something big like some of the yellows you all are catching, can I gaff it, and then release it?

I don't know of any other way to secure a huge fish like that to remove the hook easier than gaffing it. Or do some of you use those fish grips to de-hook the fish?

I would LOVE to order one of these awesome looking gaffs though. How do I do that?

Gaffing a fish is only half of the battle, and they damn sure aren't guaranteed dead. Just look at some of ful-rac's halibut videos. Also, you only want to gaff fish that you intend on keeping. DO NOT gaff a fish you plan on releasing. They may swim off, but have a pretty decent chance of dying. Use fish grips, and net (if a halibut, there are special nets that don't shred their tails), or just handle them boat side. If they break the line, call it an early release.

Oh and to TinSlayer..... The Gaff you made was unbelievable. You are truly an artist. Cant wait to get her bloody! For anyone on the fence like I was about getting one made, DO IT!! I only wish I had done it months ago!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #4
Tin Slayer 28

Thanks Cadillyak for the compliment and support.

If anyone wants to order, email me at dmorita28@gmail.com
Tin Slayer 28 is offline   Reply With Quote