Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Newport 10/17/15

Launched a little after 6am, it was my wife's first trip on salt but she did fine. Newport is a great place to start someone out as long as you don't get run over by the boat traffic. We spent a little time casting white flukes on scrounger heads, my wife caught a spotty right away but it was short. We headed towards the mouth of the bay trolling krocodiles with no luck then we spent the morning fishing around the bait barge. Lots of fun catching greenbacks but the sea dogs were heavy into the stealing business. My wife's first greenback got grabbed by a dog and played tug of war until the fish broke in half. The dogs were aggressive, I landed one mackerel and the dog came right along side my yak and snotted me, then it started bumping my boat from underneath. I saw one guy catch a really nice calico, maybe 5 pounds, I caught some short calicos if I could get my bait to the bottom. All in all a good day, about 6 hours on the water, saved a couple of mackerels for cat food, the macs are fun on light tackle. Most importantly my wife had a good time.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Ro12

Sounds like you guys had fun
Did you go tandem or does she have her own boat
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro12 View Post
Sounds like you guys had fun
Did you go tandem or does she have her own boat
She has her own boat, it's better that way.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
taggermike

Sounds like a great trip. The dog packs that hang around the bait receivers are the worst. Huge, fearless, aggressive, and entitled. When my daughter was about 7 I took her out on the gator hatch seat of my old Malibu n had a dog from the Dana landing receiver do that shit to us. Not fun with a kid on board. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote