Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-26-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
jbl_91762

CDM/NPH 8/26

On water 6:30 Water temp 68/69 calm wind and swells. Picked up a scoop of sardines and also Made bait while heading to kelp beds. One big strike but Nada! Then bait pump fails lose all my fish. Head to harbor and throw swimbaits with underspinners and got a few short strikes but that's it. Fellow forum member Danny out there and said he only was able to get 1 spotty all morning. I left him and he was still fishing bouoys off water at 11:30.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Bossomatic
Junior

Sounds similar to my experience out there today. On the water a little before 7:00, out around 12:00 spent most of my time throwing swimbaits around the docks. Got a few bites, but only managed to land one small spottie.
Bossomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report. Sounds like the bite really dropped off since last week.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
ultimatejay

My son and I fished there today from 5am- 2pm. Caught around 45 bass. Calicos, sand, spotted and one small WSB all on plastics.
Attached Images

ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
Onit8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejay View Post
My son and I fished there today from 5am- 2pm. Caught around 45 bass. Calicos, sand, spotted and one small WSB all on plastics.

Seen u guys out there by the bait barge..... went out on a union trip on the western pride, watched u pull in a few bass and your son a small cuda!!! All while we were loading boat up on bait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Onit8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Bossomatic
Junior

Sounds like I need to spend more time near the bait barge. Glad somebody's catching fish out there!
Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
blitzburgh

Thanks for the report Joey
Old 08-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onit8 View Post
Seen u guys out there by the bait barge..... went out on a union trip on the western pride, watched u pull in a few bass and your son a small cuda!!! All while we were loading boat up on bait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha that's funny. Yeah we were the first ones there. Best bites come right at sun up. We were at the barge for about an hour and then we headed back inside and hit a bunch of docks. Lost a lot of fish too- had a great time.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossomatic View Post
Sounds like I need to spend more time near the bait barge. Glad somebody's catching fish out there!
The barge is a good spot but it can be dead at times too. Almost every dock in th harbor holds fish and you can get real close with your kayak. Drop a 3" hammer tail in X-mas tree color or olive green color with 1/4 oz jig head- I like using red head and try to cast or drop the lure right next to the vertical piling and let it sink all the way down- 90% of the time they will hit on the way down. If you hit some eel grass don't freak out just gently lift rod tip and most of the times it will come out and you will get bit. Keep lure on the bottom and lift and reel a little and let it drop back down- you will get bit.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
Bossomatic
Junior

Quote:
The barge is a good spot but it can be dead at times too. Almost every dock in th harbor holds fish and you can get real close with your kayak. Drop a 3" hammer tail in X-mas tree color or olive green color with 1/4 oz jig head- I like using red head and try to cast or drop the lure right next to the vertical piling and let it sink all the way down- 90% of the time they will hit on the way down. If you hit some eel grass don't freak out just gently lift rod tip and most of the times it will come out and you will get bit. Keep lure on the bottom and lift and reel a little and let it drop back down- you will get bit.
Thanks for the tips! I'll give this a try next time I'm out there.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #11
jbl_91762

Quote:
Yeah saw you guys out there too! Crazy how you can get your boy on the back of that PA. Sounded like he was having fun. I had a few strikes out there by barge too. Impressive pull with all the bass. You def know how to land them!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
socalyaker556

Fish nph yesterday all i got was short bites

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
socalyaker556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #13
ultimatejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Yeah saw you guys out there too! Crazy how you can get your boy on the back of that PA. Sounded like he was having fun. I had a few strikes out there by barge too. Impressive pull with all the bass. You def know how to land them!
Thank you, my son is only 10 but he has been fishing since he could hold a rod. He is quite a fisherman and loves coming with me. A year or two and he'll have his own kayak but there is still a lot of room on my battleship. I don't know if you could see but I made a live bait tank out of an old igloo cooler and put a nice dense foam seat for him on the lid. It works really well. Most of the time he stands up and casts. He has caught two yellowtail in one day with me and we had a double on at the same time- best trip ever!