Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
HatterasCast

Hello All, Glad to Be Here

Just wanted to introduce myself.... Im Brian
I've been lurking on the forums here for a few weeks now.... Just got a Stealth 12 from OEX during the Fred Hall show. Should be all setup and ready to get wet by this coming weekend. I have tons of experience fishing the east coast - primarily North Carolina where I lived for a few years. From surf fishing to offshore, I know it well but the east coast style is alot different than the west coast style.... I need to be schooled! Been doing my research, reading books, watching videos, talking to guys at local tackle shops, and reading the posts on here. It seems I found a forum with members that seem close to one another and helpful, like we're all on the same team. Glad to be a part of this. See you guys on the water.
HatterasCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Enceladus

Welcome to the west coast. Looking forward to seeing pics of the big ones you'll be catching soon.
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
YakMedic

Welcome to BWE where abouts are you located? There is a wealth of info in the old threads. Sounds like you got started on the right foot with OEX, they can answer most of your questions and point you in the right direction.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
bubblehide

If you want to catch fish, follow Matt. He's fresh enough to relate to your questions and dilemmas, yet skilled enough to school ya; needless to say, you'd be hard pressed to find better company.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
If you want to catch fish, follow Matt. He's fresh enough to relate to your questions and dilemmas, yet skilled enough to school ya; needless to say, you'd be hard pressed to find better company.
Very true Matt knows his stuff and if he doesn't he knows someone who does
Hey Matt when are you going to teach me how to go crabbin?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

Welcome to the crew...you will probably miss the abundance of striper and blues and there calamity, not to mention the absence of swells as you had on the other side of the big lake, but alot going on on this side when the water warms up a bit...lots of good people on this site, hope to see you out there and looking forward to the reports
Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
T-Rex

Welcome to the site. You've come to the right place!

I lived in Charlotte for 7 years and miss the family trips to the Outer Banks and surrounding areas for some pretty incredible fishing.

Look forward to seeing you on the water.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

lived in NC for a few years, now out here and have no clue about the west coast...? where are you stationed?

im on pendleton. Oside sucks for any kind of numbers from the yak. but there are a few fish around. lots of Threshers to be found and plenty to catch off the pier. the reefs are a bit of a paddle, but hold fish. might be hard to find them now without the lobster traps. as far as surf fishing, spotfin croaker should be moving in soon. kinda like a mini drum. the corbina are starting to show too and theres plenty of halibut. if you like the heavier long casting, with bait you can get leopard sharks (a lot really close too), white seabass, rockfish, soupfin shark, thresher shark, 7 gills and some other misc. fish. if you like to throw the plug/iron theres a few spots around La Jolla you can pull out some YT and white seabass, even black seabass.

as far as kayak fishing. this is the site to learn. the Yellowtail and white seabass are not my best friends in the yak... im thinking i should just stick with surf fishing. lol
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
HatterasCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Welcome to the crew...you will probably miss the abundance of striper and blues and there calamity, not to mention the absence of swells as you had on the other side of the big lake:
That is the truth!. I've been back in CA for the past 5 years and I havent gone fishing once!. When I was in NC, I'd fish before work, during chow time, and after work. If the weather sucked, I was doing trips to each tackle store I could find up and down the coast looking for new gear.

Reason I didnt get fishing back here is because 1) I dont own a boat 2) I cant afford a boat 3) I dont know anyone that owns a boat 4) Charts are too expensive 5) Surf fishing in NC = 50lb Red Drum and 30 lb Striper ect. Surf fishing CA = 1/2 lb croaker?

I guess im just looking for something that is going to rip line off my spool.

Now that I bought the yak, I'll be more willing to make the drive to the beach and try for some threshers and Yellowtails.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
HatterasCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
lived in NC for a few years, now out here and have no clue about the west coast...? where are you stationed?
Im no longer active duty USMC and im also done with the reserves... I live in Rancho Cucamonga now (a block away from Bass Pro Shops if you've come up here to check that place out). When I was in the corps, I was stationed in Camp Lejuene and after that, Camp Courtney Okinawa with several deployments to other fine outstanding countries

I got a pretty good schedule now... I only work Fri - Sun. I'm available to fish for the most part every Mon - Thurs. Let me know if you want to get together and hit a pier, Surf, or when I get my Stealth 12 later this week from OEX, the water.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
mtnbykr2

The leos will rip your line off if you get em, down south the surf fishing is way better than up here in Ventura, but still a good deal for when i can't
get out on the yak