Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Tommy92708
Junior

Hobie Sport going 2 miles outside the bay

I just got a used Hobbie Sport thinking that I would just use it inside the bay. The I saw a few guys using slightly bigger kayak going 2 miles outside the bay. My question is is it safe to take the Sport (9ft length) 2 miles outside the bay? I'm 120 lbs and only take it out 6-10am time frame where the wind speed is relatively low.
Tommy92708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Raskal311

if conditions are decent yes, but thats true for everyone else as well.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
battleborn

Knowing the weather is key. Well that and your capabilities. If going outside be aware if you are alone you are responsible for yourself. Know how to self rescue turn over your yak if you get flipped. Carry signal device and do get a handheld radio. Some people may say it's overkill and you probably won't need them 99 percent of the time but when you need it that 1 percent it needs to be 100 percent ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
cell128
lizard king

That was my first sit on top kayak. I fished for reds at Newport quite a few times but in the chop it gets very unstable had to upgrade to an outback

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
Knowing the weather is key. Well that and your capabilities. If going outside be aware if you are alone you are responsible for yourself. Know how to self rescue turn over your yak if you get flipped. Carry signal device and do get a handheld radio. Some people may say it's overkill and you probably won't need them 99 percent of the time but when you need it that 1 percent it needs to be 100 percent ready.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
VHF for sure. I have never even used mine to transmit, but it's great to have the comms and I got one with Bluetooth so I can chat with my wife. The first time I was out with it my son's school called to tell me he wasn't feeling well, so it's already been useful. Leash it to yourself though, because it won't be any good to you if you get seperated from it.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #6
King Saba

My buddy used to fish in a Lanai, which is your sport without a drive. He fished it for close to a year, and in that time we've fished within a mile or so from shore in windier 10kts+ conditions with 3-6' swells. He did fine, but if I recall correctly he says it lacks secondary stability. It performs poorly too when the winds and swells kick up, a lot of hull slapping. And, if you lean too much one side you'll probably flip as he did when we were starting out in this crazy addiction called kayak fishing. I'm sure he'll chime in and give his 2 cents.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #7
PapaDave

I rented one before I bought my PA12 way back when, rolled over three times. I'm kind of large though, 6'2" and 220lbs. Way too small for me.

Funny thing is that was the first time I fished from a kayak, and I still do. But I caught some smelt and just doing that hooked me.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
monstahfish

Ha yeah Dave you are way too big for it. I prefer my outback for open water (I'm 180# and I wouldn't recommend anyone larger for it)but the sport is fine for a calm day it's just not as efficient because of its short water line. I would think it's a good match for someone your size just be aware of the winds and current(check the tides both for the swing and direction. You may want to ride the tide out fish until low and then ride it back in.)
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #9
Tommy92708
Junior

Would a Hobie Oasis be good 2 miles out? I like the possibility of taking a friend but might be 80% solo.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy92708 View Post
Would a Hobie Oasis be good 2 miles out? I like the possibility of taking a friend but might be 80% solo.
Just picked one up, that thing is dam stable, there shouldn't be any reason why an oasis can't go anywhere a revo, outback, or PA can. But 80% solo get something else.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
Tommy92708
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Just picked one up, that thing is dam stable, there shouldn't be any reason why an oasis can't go anywhere a revo, outback, or PA can. But 80% solo get something else.
Why get something else? Is it because not worth the additional cost? The PA actually costs more than an Oasis. Just trying to understand your reasoning.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #12
taggermike

Like with any kayak, get comfortable n learn how it handles before you head out in open water. If you're a smaller person the sport will float you fine. Ive seen many guys in LJ on malibu mini-x. With the drive the sport moves better and is more stable than the X. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Why get something else? Is it because not worth the additional cost? The PA actually costs more than an Oasis. Just trying to understand your reasoning.
The reasoning is that tandems are a pain in the ass to use in a solo configuration; I should know since I own a tandem. The oasis will be a slightly greater challenge, because there isn't a solo seating position. You'll want to ballast the front seat to keep it level. Tandems are great for two people, but ideally you want to have a tandem and a single. It sounds impractical, but you'll be happier in the long run.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
walrus

Oasis for me! 100% solo fishing. Having said that, understand a tandem is not for everyone.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #15
Raskal311

Quote:
It's not ideal for one person mainly. I'd rather put a second seat in the back of a PA then buying an oasis to fish tandem 20% of the time.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #16
Tommy92708
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
It's not ideal for one person mainly. I'd rather put a second seat in the back of a PA then buying an oasis to fish tandem 20% of the time.
Is it easy to put a 2nd seat on a PA?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Have you tried driving the Oasis from the front seat solo?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #18
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

This is a lake but, the Oasis is stable enough for 2 to stand and fish...
Oasis 2 Standing.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #19
Starsky

I have an oasis and it's an awesome tandem kayak, but I have never used it solo and I am tempted to buy an outback or PA to go solo!
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
My buddy used to fish in a Lanai, which is your sport without a drive. He fished it for close to a year, and in that time we've fished within a mile or so from shore in windier 10kts+ conditions with 3-6' swells. He did fine, but if I recall correctly he says it lacks secondary stability. It performs poorly too when the winds and swells kick up, a lot of hull slapping. And, if you lean too much one side you'll probably flip as he did when we were starting out in this crazy addiction called kayak fishing. I'm sure he'll chime in and give his 2 cents.
So I'm the buddy. The Lanai was a rock stable yak but I'm a small guy (127 lb) so my experience will be different than if you are a big guy. Like Saba said I did fine except when it got choppy. Then the lack glide was not fun. You have a drive, so you may not be affected as much.

The time I flipped was when I was new to the yak and was leaning past my center of gravity. I was in the water before I knew what happened. Learned not to do that anymore.

I now have a Prowler 13 and am much happier. It's tipper but that gives you warning when you're not centered. It handled great at our last trip to POLA when the winds were 10+ with gusts above 20. Combined with wakes from passing boats, it was like being in a washing machine at times. Not sure how the Lanai would have handled those conditions.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hobie sport