Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
FWI GONZAGA

Weatherman LIED, it was 100+ every day, winds all below 10 mph. That is DEGREES and FISH. Lots of nice bass, YT, Sierra, Cabrilla, snapper, needle fish, corvina, everyone was hungry!!!! Only 8 pangas on beach and they were not fishing.

NEW NEW NEWS!

PERMANENT GILLNET BAN signed for Upper Gulf. NO gillnets are allowed in the area. San Filipe down to just south of Puertocitos. ALL gillnet fishing in that area is ILLEGAL. Saw 2 totuava on the beach again this trip, just gutted and left to rot. Both 60+ inch fish. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
walrus

The thought of those beautiful fish left on the beach makes me sick.

I'm getting ready for some of that 100+ down there. It can't get here fast enough.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
. Saw 2 totuava on the beach again this trip, just gutted and left to rot. Both 60+ inch fish. Tight Lines.
Most likely had their swim bladders cut out and sent to China
Old 07-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
Most likely had their swim bladders cut out and sent to China
YES sir that is exactly what happened. Some poor fisherman made $1000 and the boat owner made $2000. Some body in asia will be horny tonight. AND we still have a couple beautiful Totuaba dead. AND the Vaquita are going to be extinct soon.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
taggermike

Thanks for the report Bob. I was down there about a month ago and found 3 totoaba gutted and rotting. Absolutely magnificent fish. Coyotes and vultures were happy. A net ban might be too little and way too late for the vaquitas. Only hope maybe to catch them all and put them in a sea pen or marine park. After such heavy fishing pressure in such a contrated area it's amazing any still survive. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
toomeymd

That's awesome on the gillnets! Baja has needed to do that for awhile now. Hey me and a couple vets from our HOW chapter are headed to Gonzaga in Sept. Hoping to pick your brain a little about it. Never fished gonzaga, just east cape, and rosarito. We'd be doing Bay of LA but time constraints. I'd do San Felipe/Puertocitos because of time if I thought I'd actually catch something there
toomeymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomeymd View Post
That's awesome on the gillnets! Baja has needed to do that for awhile now. Hey me and a couple vets from our HOW chapter are headed to Gonzaga in Sept. Hoping to pick your brain a little about it. Never fished gonzaga, just east cape, and rosarito. We'd be doing Bay of LA but time constraints. I'd do San Felipe/Puertocitos because of time if I thought I'd actually catch something there
MY?OUR place is 30 minutes south of Puertocitos so come on down. I leave 4 am from El Cajon and arrive in camp just BEFORE noon, still lots of time to fish that afternoon. Hope to see you there.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
toomeymd

That's awesome, thanks! We're all retired so we're planning it for a weather window early Sept. We'll watch the wind and temp and pick a week that it looks like it'll be good. Is there a time in Sept you're planning on being there?
toomeymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:34 AM   #9
svendawg

How far south

Great news on the gill net ban. Do you know if the ban extends all the way down to Gonzage bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Weatherman LIED, it was 100+ every day, winds all below 10 mph. That is DEGREES and FISH. Lots of nice bass, YT, Sierra, Cabrilla, snapper, needle fish, corvina, everyone was hungry!!!! Only 8 pangas on beach and they were not fishing.

NEW NEW NEWS!

PERMANENT GILLNET BAN signed for Upper Gulf. NO gillnets are allowed in the area. San Filipe down to just south of Puertocitos. ALL gillnet fishing in that area is ILLEGAL. Saw 2 totuava on the beach again this trip, just gutted and left to rot. Both 60+ inch fish. Tight Lines.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post
Great news on the gill net ban. Do you know if the ban extends all the way down to Gonzage bay.
My understanding is that the ban does not extend but a bit south of Puertacitos. Trying to protect the Vaquita and not the Totuaba which I fear is a bit too late. Like all of these proclamations that the Mexican government makes, it comes down to enforcement. If there is no means or desire to enforce these regulations, then .... Living in a Mexican fishing community, I can see both sides of the issue. These folks feed their families from the money they make from the sea. It is a hard life and not much of a living but some kind of enforceable regulations have to be put on these guys. Anyone who has fished Baja for the last 10 years will tell you that the fishery is nothing like it was 10 years ago, and the SOC has been hit the hardest. If we could only convince the Chinese that sea lion bladders have some magical powers....
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomeymd View Post
That's awesome, thanks! We're all retired so we're planning it for a weather window early Sept. We'll watch the wind and temp and pick a week that it looks like it'll be good. Is there a time in Sept you're planning on being there?
24th thru the 30th I will be in camp there. This trip is open to all. And no one has signed uo for it yet. You could go earlier or stay longer, up to you. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
taggermike

That's kinda funny Rossman because I've heard that the traditional Chinese importance cure, tiger penis, is frequently counter fitted with seal or sea lion penis. Let the buyer beware. Drinking tea made from seal penis only makes you hungry for sea food, not erect. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote