Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
domtesta27

Gonzaga Fly Fishing help

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to pick the brain of the Flyfishing anglers out there who have gone to Makobob's place down in Gonzaga. I'm going down for the end of October trip and I want to make sure I'm not caught with my pants down.

I'm bringing down my 8wt setup with a full sinking line, but I realize that I'll probably be a little overpowered by the fish down there. Granted I have caught small yellowfin and skipjacks on this rod, but it was always a crazy battle and they were only in the 10 to 15 lb class.

I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a larger setup for mexico through Allen fly fishing. The question is would it be better to go with a 10wt or 12 wt?

Also been tying like a fiend, but mostly just clousers and deceivers in various colors, any other flies that are must haves before I head down?

Thanks and tight lines everyone!
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Gr8fuldude

Hey Domtesta,

I'll be going on this trip also. Last year in October in Gonzaga I had a blast catching foaming skipjacks in the 4 to 8 pound range on my nine weight, every single fish took me into my backing and provided a great fight. I didn't catch anything bigger than those skippies, but lawdie they were great fun.

Fast forward, I broke my nine weight this spring and bought an 8 weight echo rod for my next trip down. I think it'll get the job done against the skippies (I do have a nicer reel this time). Personally I think a 12 weight would be too big for what you are likely to catch down there. I think anything from an 8 to 10 weight is about right. Maybe some of the other Gonzaga flyfishers will weigh in on their opinion.

See you in Gonzaga!

Paul
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Mike scales

8-10 weight you should be fine. Although we did encounter 25-30lb Jack Crevally foaming around us at one point where I think a 12 weight would be mandatory against these beasts. Also, steel leaders. Tons of Sierras there, they will saw you off unless you have that steel leader. Floating and sinking line to cover all water columns. Can't wait to go end of October! I plan on bringing my vise and some materials to match the hatch.
Tight lines!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
The fish, including sierra are targeting micro bait. 1-2 inchers, so most flys will work, most of these minnows are pretty transparent. Wire leaders do not seem to slow the bite, these fish when hungry are not too picky. Size matters, but larger baits will till get bit. 8-10 weight tackle will handle most fish. Reels need a smooth drag. I fish only a sinking line. It seems to cover most situations for me. Last week we got a skipjack tuna, had reports of dorada inside island, saw big schools of roosterfish crashing 12 inch mullet on the beach in front of our place. Guys cooling off in the water had them swim right through them. Sun glasses, sun screen and face masks and hats are a must. Can be cool in the evenings, I have fire wood. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Sivak

I did a trip earlier this year with Bob and had an absolute blast. I primarily fly fish and did fine with my 8WT. I don't think I would go with anything bigger than a 10WT. I would also recommend if you fish at all from the shore to have an intermediate line since some of the nicest areas to fish are rocky. White Clouser with some crystal flash work great. I went thru about 25 flies in 4 days, they get destroyed down there. I used size 6, 4 and 2. They all worked.

Definitely bring a sinking line if fishing from a Kayak. I used 20lb mono and could not keep the fish off. It's a great fishery, the camp is awesome and Bob is a great host.

See you there!
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
monstahfish

I'll also be on this trip. Definitely don't go over a 10 weight. I will be carrying and 8 and 10 weight and likely tying some small flies to match the small bait. Big flies for the ten weight, small for the 8 weight. If all else fails, a variety of clousers and deceivers will never let you down. This pattern worked last year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0160.jpg (34.1 KB, 91 views)
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
walrus

Update on fishing conditions at Makobob's from Sept 6Th thru 14th trip.

Water temps 79F, last year 85F+.
Visibility, clearly saw the bottom at 30 feet.

Bait is everywhere, with micro baits on the surface down to 15 feet for two solid miles. Medium and large size baitfish hanging down below the micro baits in small to large baitballs. Larger baits were scattered around from the shallow water to deep waters.

The bite was slower than usual for the area due to the amount of bait fish. Most fish caught had their mouths full of bait, indication lures provoking a reaction strike. No large fish were caught, and fishermen who spend four or five hours on the water caught thirty to forty fish a day.

Fish species caught this year:
trigger fish
spotted bass
cabrilla
gold spotted bass
sierra
orange mouth corvina
rivera grouper
gulf grouper
pufferfish
grunts
damselfish
needlefish
wrasse
kelp sculpin
skipjack

I hope this helps you pick your flys. Movement noise, and splash will win the day down there right now.

A lot of roosters are crowing next door and roosterfish are feeding on mullets along the shore.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
brew
I Exercise Fish

Domtesta,

Please don't buy a 12Wt setup. I have one and never use it! you are welcome to bring it on Mako Bobs Oct trip to try out. Hopefully you will need it! I have the reel and an intermediate clear tropical line for it (Tarpon in FL).

It is a 3pc Sage 9' 13Wt (RPLXi) and a Pflueger president 12Wt reel w/ 500yds of 50lb braid backing.

I use an 8wt personally. I just use heavier tippet if the fish get big. I'm not sure I could even fish much heavier than 30lb from a kayak. A big barracuda on 20lb pretty much kicked my ass in FL.

Tim
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Brew, FYI, some of these fish will be UNSTOPABLE on an 8 wt fly rod. BUT the same fish might be unstopable on any fly rod. Hook a cabrilla or grouper over the reefs and they will be in the rocks before you can say BAJA. Done deal and gone, better luck next time. However hook a large WSB, Roosterfish, YT on a heavier rod and your chances of landing should be increased. Tight Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Domtesta,

Please don't buy a 12Wt setup. I have one and never use it! you are welcome to bring it on Mako Bobs Oct trip to try out. Hopefully you will need it! I have the reel and an intermediate clear tropical line for it (Tarpon in FL).

It is a 3pc Sage 9' 13Wt (RPLXi) and a Pflueger president 12Wt reel w/ 500yds of 50lb braid backing.

I use an 8wt personally. I just use heavier tippet if the fish get big. I'm not sure I could even fish much heavier than 30lb from a kayak. A big barracuda on 20lb pretty much kicked my ass in FL.

Tim

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #10
monstahfish

I own a 12 weight even had a 15wt for a while and never used them because it's so heavy to cast. The ten weight should cover most things. On of the best things about fishing from a kayak is you're going to go with the fish and it will turn into a vertical fight sooner than later unless you're in shallow.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote