Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
walrus

Gonzaga in November, part 2, the Island

Isla San Luis – Day 3
To understand this part of my report you need to know that a storm on the pacific coast of southern California is not the same as a storm in the Sea of Cortez. We’re all familiar with pacific storms. In the Sea of Cortez it can go from flat calm to a full gale force conditions in as little as 10 minutes and is called a “Norther”. It is a weather pattern that forms in the Northern Sea of Cortez and blows down the Sea, building up to gale force winds and very short steep seas. During the northers, local mariners (pangas, and seiners) head for an anchorage with some protection from the big swells and waves that build up from the wind. Northers blow down the Sea of Cortez in the fall and winter and depending on the year can happen very infrequently to almost weekly.

Clear skies and calm conditions this morning so Sven and I headed back to the area that was filled with pirates yesterday. The dogs were there, but not the fish. We drifted around watching and waiting but the dogs stayed too, so we began to work our way south into shallower waters. As we moved around I kept looking at the Isla San Luis off to the south east. It looked pretty close, but on water distances are hard to determine and can be an illusion.

The picture above was taken to try to calculate how close I really was, once I was back on shore.

I continued to troll a Rapala X-Rap magnum, so I kept my bow pointed toward the island. And soon after this picture I realized I could see birds standing on the exposed part of the tidal sand rift. It’s the long point on the south east corner of the island in the picture below.

I looked at the sky and sea and thought the weather was holding to a slight breeze and partly cloudy skies. I knew that if I turn away when I was so close, I would start to second guess the decision immediately. I also knew about the weather change possibility, I had seen it before. I would be nearly five miles off shore if I went, way too far to reach safety if a norther came down.

I did not make an easy or snap decision but once I made up my mind to make a run for it, I wasted no time getting there. As the picture shows I was approaching the island from the southwest. The tidal sand rift the water is only about a foot deep with three breakers on the part closest to shore. I looked around and saw Sven was following, but that made me no less nervous.

The weather remained calm as I arrived at the island’s west side. I quickly discovered why pangas and other boats were not seen close to island, it was a mine field of lava pinnacles and granite boulders. Not to mention the flies, but more on them later. The submerged lava rock and fish hooks are a lot like Velcro, once the two side touch each other they’re stuck together. If you decide to paddle/pedal this far
to fish take plenty of lures, you’re going to lose some. After Sven arrived we fished along the eastern shore. Overall the fishing was the same as we experienced on the shoreline reefs, and the fish species were the same (pictures below of a cabrilla and a schoolteacher (snapper)).

After Sven arrived we fished along the eastern shore. I hooked up with a cabrilla and became distracted long enough to slam into a submerged rock. I bent the front mask back far enough to overlap the rear fin. The fin itself now had a rip more than half way up the mast. I started thinking about a repair. It was a long way to try a paddle back. Using only my hands I was able to bend the mast far enough to use the pedals, but the front fin was ripped and nearly useless for propulsion. I would be able to get back, but not very fast. Both Sven and I were nervous because we couldn’t see to seaward or north. We started back and called shore to tell them where we were and we were heading back. According to the GPS track by the time we hit shore we had pedaled about 13.5 miles today.

We made it back to camp in time for dinner, which was cowboy bean soup with elk sausage and oh boy was it good!

The after dinner conversation that night was about the island and the risk of going there again. Jim said he would like to go out there the next day if we were willing to go. We agreed to get up early and see what day would bring, if it looked good we’d go for it.

Continued on part three "Return and the Norther"!

I will get it written asap.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Had me on the edge of my seat Wally! Cant wait for the rest...

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
octico

Nice write up!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Whaaat?! No spare parts!!! Didn't we go thru this already!!!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBMONEY View Post
Had me on the edge of my seat Wally! Cant wait for the rest...
ROBMONEY...your avatar photo is getting pretty old! You brothas have put up some WALLS! Way to go. Your million dollar pad is getting there... Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Zed
BANNED

Better getting caught out in the Nortes than a bad Oeste, IMO.

Good report so far. Waiting on the next. Maybe Mr Moderator will put this in the reports section. Unless you want to discuss what a cabrilla and what a leopard grouper is. Heh.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Tony he pedals a tandem, but then that is another story to be told. We really enjoyed your lobster contribution to this trip as LOBSTER was our power to get across to ISLA San Luis.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
walrus

Tony, this was my spare drive. next time I'll take three!

Unless you want to discuss what a cabrilla and what a leopard grouper is. Heh.

Zeb, I'd be glad to: That picture is a leopard Grouper but I call them by the family name Cabrilla, as do most of the locals.

The Leopard Grouper, Mycteroperca rosacea, is a member of the Grouper or Epinephelidae Family, known collectively as “Cabrillas” and “Garropas” in Mexico. Approximately 1% of the Leopard Groupers are Golden Phase and called Golden Groupers, Queenies, or occasionally Golden Cabrillas; these are easy to identify due to their spectacular, overall orange color.

The Leopard Groupers are found in sea mouths and within reefs and rocky areas at depths up to 150 feet. They reach a maximum length of 100 cm (40 inches) and weigh up to 12 kg (27 pounds). They have a lifespan of at least 17 years. In Mexican waters they are found from Magdalena Bay south along the west coast of Baja and throughout the Sea of Cortez being more abundant in the central part of the Gulf.The Leopard Groupers are one of the most important fish in the Sea of Cortez. They are considered an excellent food fish and are sold commercially. In late spring, they are a prime target of the sports fishing industry of the central Sea of Cortez.

Last edited by walrus; 11-19-2014 at 03:43 PM.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

"ROBMONEY...your avatar photo is getting pretty old! You brothas have put up some WALLS! Way to go. Your million dollar pad is getting there... Jim"

Well Jim I think your right! Ive been doing more working than fishing lately. Ill be up their next week so Ill give it a shot.
Iv'e had this one on my phone for a month... I look at it at least once a day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (38.7 KB, 56 views)

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote