Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you released a yellowtail from the kayak?
Yes 13 48.15%
No 11 40.74%
I would never do that, are you crazy? 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #21
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
I'd say I release more than I keep by a good margin. I also only fish circle hooks with bait as it's a cleaner release. My freezer is almost empty though so I may keep my next one if I remember to bring my cooler bag.
Great tip about the circle hooks!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #22
TJones

That was my personal goal this year

I have not achieved it yet. I was very optimistic of having a good year. My plan was after having harvested one or two first, was to then release one back. This would have been on a supposed really good day where I had landed and harvested at least one or two prior to releasing a fish. Very optimistic of me, needless to say. Boy, how my plans really got turned around. Im not even in the yellowtail count this year. SMH. . Good for you on your sportsmanship.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #23
TJones

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I would do it if I had more than I could use, and if it obviously wasn't a new PR. But first I need to get this stinky, stinky skunk stench off of me :/
Guess its just one of those years? Good Luck.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #24
monstahfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Great tip about the circle hooks!
One thing to remember when using circles that has turned a lot of people off to them; don't set the hook. Just let the fish swallow the bait for 3-5 mississippis and engage the drag, the hook will set itself right in the corner of the mouth.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #25
FISH11

Quote:
One thing to remember when using circles that has turned a lot of people off to them; don't set the hook. Just let the fish swallow the bait for 3-5 mississippis and engage the drag, the hook will set itself right in the corner of the mouth.
X2
Old 07-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #26
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Absolutely! The fish also needs to be swimming away from you. If your line goes slack and one tries to wind tight, there is a chance you will wind the bait out of the fish's mouth. Sadly learned the hard way -- bait flew out of the fish's mouth air bound and landed 10ft in front of the kayak. The wahoo lite up, dashed over, grabbed the bait again, and took off! Having seen this, I free spooled and the line started peeling off fast! Adrenaline caused old reflexes to kick in and I swung to set the hook. Had I stayed calm, waited one more Mississippi, and just clicked the reel into gear, the circle hook would have set itself. It hurts to lose a fish that I maybe get a shot at once or twice a year
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote