Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
Jaxle
Junior

Columbus Day YT

It's been months since I had the opportunity to punch out from LJ. Taking a newbie with me this time and hearing the actions been slow with bait tough to make my expectations aren't too high.

Pulled up to the launch around 6 to find my fishing buddy had got his truck stuck in the soft sand. After about a half an hour a fellow fisherman was able to pull his rig out. While he was parking I went to hook my battery up to my bait tank and broke the positive terminal off. 💪. But managed to get it going anyways. Not a good start to the morning.

We punched out well after sunrise and made 1/2 dozen maks. Spanish and greenback mix. Trolled for 2 hours on a lifeless ocean until...boils everywhere. Tossed surface irons and watched the YT chase it all the way to my yak. But no takers!! Pulled up a pig of a Bonita though. While we were tossing irons we went through 5 of our maks without getting a good hook set. Just as quickly as the action started it came to a halt. With one Spanish mak left in my tank. I slapped it on. After about two hours of trolling I started to head back in. As soon as I adjusted my course the most beautiful sound in the world happens. 😃😃😃

1135 YT on and screaming. Wrapped up in one lobster trap but managed to work him free. After several deep runs I noticed the familiar death circle. Pulled him boat side and stuck him hard with the gaf.

It was a beautiful day on the water and was surpised in the lack of anglers for a holiday. I think the seals even took today off too, I only spotted one out there.
Attached Images

Jaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
ultimatejay

Nice catch and Columbus Day is hardly a holiday. I don't know of any real job that has that day off lol, at least mine doesn't ☹️️
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
Phishphood

Nice fish! Where'd you end up making bait?

And CA state employees didn't get the day off...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Sully1

Trolling upside down gets 'em every time. Nice fish.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood View Post
Nice fish! Where'd you end up making bait?

And CA state employees didn't get the day off...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Federal employees did .
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
onthewater

Really nice fish! Way to stick with it!

I definitely didn't have the day off, I think only one friend did. The only sure bet holidays are Labor Day / Memorial Day, etc.
onthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
FISH11

SWEET! I was the one you talked to at the launch, after I helped pull your buddy out of the sand. I headed to the pier to make bait, but it was hard to find. Kept going north to the north end of Torrey Pines Golf Course, but had no luck. Headed back south and was not lucky enough to find any Yellows. I had my hopes up after hooking up, fighting for 20+ minutes and getting to within 5 feet of the surface 3 different times a 40+lbs Yellow last Tuesday only to have it come of my circle hook when a large sea lion came up really close by. Once I got back to the condo area it was tons of calicos and one 25" WSB, all got released. It was a beautiful day yesterday and very few PB or Kayaks out there. Congrats on the nice Yellow, some other Kayaker at the landing told me someone had brought in a Yellow. I'm glad it was someone I met. Mark
Old 10-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
LSmoot

Congrats on the YT! I was out there, as well. Gorgeous day in LJ. There were endless boils of barracudas at the condo about 11am. It was amazing to see. Fellow kayaker that happened to be passing by said he believed it was WSB pushing the cudas up. He had caught a big WSB trolling a Bonito. Didn't catch his name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LSmoot is offline   Reply With Quote