Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
philr21

Oil fish and grouper in Japan

Hard to figure out the appropriate forum for this - reports say California and Baja. This is video of last weekend's trip for grouper and oilfish, I think it is awesome. Very few places in the world can you launch a kayak and been in 1500-1800 foot depths two miles off the beach.

Last month's daytime catch:

For the military guys coming to Japan : bring your kayaks!
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
monstahfish

cool stuff. don't eat too much of that oil fish without staying close to the bathroom
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Ggiannig89

Very cool!
Has anyone tried oilfish or escolar? I wonder if the diarrhea is as bad as the internet has made it out to be.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
philr21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
Very cool!
Has anyone tried oilfish or escolar? I wonder if the diarrhea is as bad as the internet has made it out to be.
I've eaten it in small quantities and it is delicious. The wife made the mistake of not stopping, and kept eating it knowing that she shouldn't because it was delicious. She said it was a disaster. This orange oily stuff just kept oozing out her rear, and she said it was uncontrollable and you didn't even know you were pooping yourself. Basically she lived on the toilet.

I let all these fish go. Will keep the occasional one, but its not really worth killing a 50-60lb fish for 6 ounces of meat at a time, and I'm not freezing the rest, no space.

Escolar supposed to be a bit safer but still a bit of a gamble if you eat too much.

Phil
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr21 View Post
I've eaten it in small quantities and it is delicious. The wife made the mistake of not stopping, and kept eating it knowing that she shouldn't because it was delicious. She said it was a disaster. This orange oily stuff just kept oozing out her rear, and she said it was uncontrollable and you didn't even know you were pooping yourself. Basically she lived on the toilet.

I let all these fish go. Will keep the occasional one, but its not really worth killing a 50-60lb fish for 6 ounces of meat at a time, and I'm not freezing the rest, no space.

Escolar supposed to be a bit safer but still a bit of a gamble if you eat too much.

Phil
That sounds terrible haha.
The meat looks delicious but doesn't sound worth the toilet time...unless you're looking for a good way of doing a colon cleanse
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Awesome! Too bad I wasn't into fishing when I was stationed there, my barracks was 50 yards from the water.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk