Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Irishman

Advice / tips to target halibut off La Jolla

I'm hoping to score a nice flatty tomorrow. Yellowtail and sea bass steaks are in the freezer and my better half likes halibut. I normally fish the three way swivel on the bottom for the flat kind. Are they biased towards a specific bait? I know the yellows I caught were all on greenbacks. Do the Spanish macks work for halibut or are the greenbacks preferred?
I plan on yo-yo'ing a jig for yellows and flyling a live bait. Then for the last two or three hours really trying to target halibut, hence the bait question. Any and all advice welcomed as well as anyone who wants to paddle tomorrow morning
Cheers
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
yemff

interested in this was well
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
GregAndrew

They will take both, but I prefer Greenbacks over Spanish. I have seen days where multiple fish get caught on one or the other though. You might want to reconsider the flyline and go with the 3-way or dropper loop type of rig right out of the gate. The better hours to get a Halibut are going to be in the morning. And the bottom rig can be good for any of the Slam fish. Don't be afraid to add a little flair to your setup also, cause Halibut like glitz.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Irishman

Hmmmm....maybe I'll reverse strategies and do the bounce the bait off the bottom early and flyline later. Good suggestion. Now I have to rerig my gear.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
They will take both, but I prefer Greenbacks over Spanish. I have seen days where multiple fish get caught on one or the other though. You might want to reconsider the flyline and go with the 3-way or dropper loop type of rig right out of the gate. The better hours to get a Halibut are going to be in the morning. And the bottom rig can be good for any of the Slam fish. Don't be afraid to add a little flair to your setup also, cause Halibut like glitz.

A little bit of ......

Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
jorluivil

I caught a 45lb hali on a single live squid, two weeks later I caught a 40lb hali on a spanish mac. I've caught yellows and a wsb on the exact same rig that I use 99.99% of the time when fishing for hali's. Like greg said........they will take both and they will also take lizard fish, smelt, squid and sometimes they will even bite on croackers........allegedly.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 11-29-2014 at 10:56 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I think the rig you used to catch this monster is what most people use! Good luck out there bro! I'm unfortunately cleaning up and getting out the Christmas decorations, after I finish watching "The Game" of course! The wolverines are putting up a good game at the Shoe! Go Buckeyes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1417290830412.jpg (48.6 KB, 153 views)
Old 11-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

I like a 3 way swivel and tap rig for fishing mackerel.