Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Murray

WTB ROOF RACK

Have a 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback that needs a roof rack to carry my Hobie Outback Kayak.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
FishNinjaY

I'd check craigslist. I did a lot of searching, and you can get the "Yakima Q Towers" for pretty good deals. You may need to buy the specific Q Clips for your car, but that should be about $50-60 dollars extra. But, try the clips that come with your used rack, because they might work just fine. This is what I did.. got great deals on my Yakima roof rack. Also got the hully rollers, Mako saddles, and a set of landshark saddles. Good luck.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
silentviper

I have these for sale if you want them, i got them with my PA and i don't have a vehicle they fit on, the only numbers i can find on them is Thule 515 5031

no idea if they work for you or what they are worth. I'll see if i can find a better model number
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0691.jpg (47.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0690.jpg (63.1 KB, 97 views)
silentviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
I'd check craigslist. I did a lot of searching, and you can get the "Yakima Q Towers" for pretty good deals. You may need to buy the specific Q Clips for your car, but that should be about $50-60 dollars extra. But, try the clips that come with your used rack, because they might work just fine. This is what I did.. got great deals on my Yakima roof rack. Also got the hully rollers, Mako saddles, and a set of landshark saddles. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Do you have a car like mine. If so, I would like your input regarding the strength of the rack attachment to the car, wind, etc. My hobie weighs 75 lbs. Dealer says 110 lbs max. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
FishNinjaY

I'm no expert, and technically, I haven't (YET) had both kayaks up on my Honda Accord... but it seems pretty sturdy. I'm planning on carrying an Oasis, which is about 90-100lbs, and maybe ALSO my mini-X, which is about 45lbs.

So.. I would think the outback should be able to go on pretty much any car. You could also get the Malone inflatable soft racks?

I have a 4-door honda accord sedan, no raingutter or rails, just a bare roof. I have the Q-towers by Yakima, with the Q-clips from a Toyota Camry that had a very similar shape to my car. It seems to fit perfect, and I've carried the small kayak without any problems. I've also made numerous trips to Home Depot, and carried back 10ft 2x4s, sheets of plywood, etc.. without any problems, shifts, or highway mishaps.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Murray

Thanks all for the info. My Mazda has roof rack holes already in place. Guess I need a roof rack that is made specifically for my car. Anyone using Rola roof rack? They are the lowest priced but I can not find any dealer that stocks them so I can see their quality. Wondering how I will secure bow and stern with my car as well.