Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #21
surfisher

Very informative! I also like medium chirp mode and low chirp mode when fishing deeper. Although these are a bit shallower, medium chirp is awesome and reads great. These were from a week ago during a nice weather window.
Name:  IMG_1496-2.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  44.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1497.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  79.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1498.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 01-13-2017, 04:21 AM   #22
Deamon

Sweetness right there.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:05 AM   #23
kirkdavis

Great tutorial

I am a retired Navy SonarTech, so I get it, but it is great to see the differences that you pointed out.
As a rule with sonar, the lower the frequency goes, the further the sound will travel. The higher the frequency, the greater the resolution. Sound in the audible range is used to find big object like submarines miles away, but a very high frequency is used to see the precious baby in a mother's womb.

Even with that knowledge, I have been too lazy or preoccupied trying to catch fish to figure out how to make changes like that on my Lawrence. Dropping to a lower freq will extend the range, but it is still a high enough freq to get pretty good detail.

Thanks!
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #24
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I am a retired Navy SonarTech, so I get it, but it is great to see the differences that you pointed out.
As a rule with sonar, the lower the frequency goes, the further the sound will travel. The higher the frequency, the greater the resolution. Sound in the audible range is used to find big object like submarines miles away, but a very high frequency is used to see the precious baby in a mother's womb.

Even with that knowledge, I have been too lazy or preoccupied trying to catch fish to figure out how to make changes like that on my Lawrence. Dropping to a lower freq will extend the range, but it is still a high enough freq to get pretty good detail.

Thanks!
Ya you're totally right... the downscan frequencies (455/800) give even greater detail. But they can see such small objects that the scattering layer can be too much for them too look through. On 83 (or med chirp) small objects will kinda all lump together as big clouds, where as on 200 or hi chirp
you might see individual sardines. If you can run dual frequency there are a lot of advantages and further inferences you can make... but that will have to wait for the intermediate lesson.

Another thing to remember is the scale of column. When fishing in deep water say over 150', the returns look so much smaller due to the scale of the fish in relation to the depth of the water. A school of yt in 200' looks almost identical to a wad of greenback in 65'.

If you're preoccupied with catching fish... tuning your sonar is how its done.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #25
jorluivil

I just drop my bait down and fall asleep

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
kayakfisherman

Unlike George, I'm wide awake!!

Very cool Chris, I learned a ton!!! Thanks! Can't wait for more.

I've got an Elite 7 hdi that I'm replacing (since it doesn't seem to like
all the salt water I've exposed it to). I'm wondering if the touch screens end up with salt water deposits on the screen? Making for constant screen wiping.

Thanks ahead of time. Yanni
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #27
kirkdavis

you are correct Chris

i have been "trying" to catch fish instead of learning to catch fish. BWE is helping me to overcome that. When I caught a BSB a few months ago, i was using a mackerel bigger than I had ever used before, and it worked! I almost didn't use it because I thought it was too big, but I dropped it down to soak while I fished another pole with plastic. "Big bait = big fish". I am now a believer.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #28
TheBentRod

This is what it is about

Great post. Sharing your knowledge and techniques is the way to be a team member of the kayak community.

Thanks.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #29
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Unlike George, I'm wide awake!!

Very cool Chris, I learned a ton!!! Thanks! Can't wait for more.

I've got an Elite 7 hdi that I'm replacing (since it doesn't seem to like
all the salt water I've exposed it to). I'm wondering if the touch screens end up with salt water deposits on the screen? Making for constant screen wiping.

Thanks ahead of time. Yanni
Yes, for sure you get salt deposits on the screen. I had a windy day in gonzaga and the screen was totally covered in salt. That said, i could easily see the GPS through the residue, and the touch screen worked fine. Mine has been covered in guts and mackerel slime and touch works fine. It really seems like they nailed the enclosure on the Ti.

However, its pretty heavy. I found that I needed a 1.5" RAM ball to hold it securely.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #30
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
i have been "trying" to catch fish instead of learning to catch fish. BWE is helping me to overcome that. When I caught a BSB a few months ago, i was using a mackerel bigger than I had ever used before, and it worked! I almost didn't use it because I thought it was too big, but I dropped it down to soak while I fished another pole with plastic. "Big bait = big fish". I am now a believer.
YT also will take very large baits... and usually prefer them. I'm sure many will attest to that hahaha
Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #31
5-20

Nice! Ended up watching some of your other YT vids. Cool stuff.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Excellent thread Chris. Thanks!

I use my FF all the time. Still can't figure out what I'm looking at
Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #33
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Excellent thread Chris. Thanks!

I use my FF all the time. Still can't figure out what I'm looking at
Post up some screenshots, lets see what you got going on.

That goes for whoever, post up your sonar pics and I or some other knowledgeable individual will help you out!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #34
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I just drop my bait down and fall asleep
Probably better that way... Then you don't have to watch the 10 fish that sniff out your bait before you get one biter.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #35
steveooo

Nice write up, tutorial, and sweet fish to go along with it!

Love winter time fishin'!

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #36
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Probably better that way... Then you don't have to watch the 10 fish that sniff out your bait before you get one biter.

I hate when that happens.

You see the mark on your sonar and just as you're ready to see your rod go bendo the fish is gone.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #37
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I hate when that happens.

You see the mark on your sonar and just as you're ready to see your rod go bendo the fish is gone.

Or you watch your dropper fall right on their heads and they don't hit it . . . you can actually see that happen to the kook in the floppy hat
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #38
sanomick

Thank you!!!!!!!!!
sanomick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #39
Harry Hill

I sure need to learn a lot more about my FF. I have the Garmin SV7 and I don't understand anything I'm seeing on the bottom. I did finally understand I was seeing bait last week, there was a lot of bait around.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #40
FISH11

However, its pretty heavy. I found that I needed a 1.5" RAM ball to hold it securely.[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris, I have the same problem with the 7TI. When I had the 5TI the 1" ram mount was fine, but now with the 7TI a hard bump or a wave over the bow on launches and the Fish Finder tilts towards me, no matter how hard I tighten the mount handle. Did you just switch out the ball on the deck to a 1 1/2" and leave the 1" on the Fish Finder head end. I love your screen shots. Super detail, it always annoys me when I see those same screen shots and have the bait right in the middle of it and there are no takers. It is so easy to tell that those are large fish and likely yellow tail but just don't go for the nice mac on your line. I guess I got a little spoiled by the bite the past couple of years, all you had to do was troll a mac in the area of the bait clouds and WHAM!. Thanks for sharing. Mark