Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #1
jorluivil

Reel Cleaning

I believe there was already a thread on this but I couldn't find it.....actually, I didn't bother looking for it

What do have you or do you used and what has worked best to keep your reels clean?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
bolocop

Depends what you are talking about. Your title says reel cleaning, but in the post you say keep them clean.

If you're talking about keeping them clean through the launches, I use the big black garbage bags as "condoms" for the reels. The red plastic handles can be used to cinch down to the rod while covering the reels. Your reels will never get soaked.

No need to get into reel clean if that's what you meant. Alan Tani has tutorials for that and endless discussions on greased vs oiled bearings for your endless reading.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Soap, water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Depends what you are talking about. Your title says reel cleaning, but in the post you say keep them clean.

If you're talking about keeping them clean through the launches, I use the big black garbage bags as "condoms" for the reels. The red plastic handles can be used to cinch down to the rod while covering the reels. Your reels will never get soaked.

No need to get into reel clean if that's what you meant. Alan Tani has tutorials for that and endless discussions on greased vs oiled bearings for your endless reading.

Reel Cleaning after you fish........I was just curious as to what everyone uses. I usually wash mine down after each trip and do a little more detailed cleaning with Simple Green and a tooth brush after every 3-4 trips. I've always wanted to try that salt away(?) stuff but every time that I go to the tackle shop I forget to pick up a can.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Salt away is $$$. People swear by it by the warm water and soap works. As long as you dont let the salt sit for awhile.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
bolocop

why worry about reel cleaning? Use the reel condom and you just rinse the spool and the guides and you're done.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Darrell
Junior

A good hose down when I get home always worked well but the last year I've been using the salt away and really like it. First I spray down with salt way then rinse off with the water hose. Every three or four trips pop the real open , Put some oil on the bearings and handle that's about it
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
why worry about reel cleaning? Use the reel condom and you just rinse the spool and the guides and you're done.

Do they make magnums.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Do they make magnums.
We'll save the cadaver bags for you...
Old 06-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
YTHunter
Carlisle

I have 4 AVET reels that I take out on most trip. No reel condom for me or any other fancy cleaning. I just rinse them really well with freshwater after each use and they still look like new (well almost). I credit my success to good reel selection, though I'm sure there are other good low-maintenance reels out there.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Some silicon spray on the outside of a reel, especially a dark colored one, can make it look almost brand new again.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTHunter View Post
I have 4 AVET reels that I take out on most trip. No reel condom for me or any other fancy cleaning. I just rinse them really well with freshwater after each use and they still look like new (well almost). I credit my success to good reel selection, though I'm sure there are other good low-maintenance reels out there.

Quality reels, quick hose down, done.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
maquinapescado

I do not use solvents (Simple Green, Salt Away, Vineqar/water) ever since I went to braid on all my reels a little over a decade ago. The braid soaks up the solvent and I am afraid it will weaken it, no matter how environmentally friendly it is. Also, I worry about the solvents making odors fish can detect.

I blast them with water and that is it. Being new to kayak fishing still, I have been toying around with the reel/rod condom idea. I jacked up two reels in my first few trips during all that big swell in January by getting sand in them. I'm not worried about the salt water. I am really handy with a sewing machine so I am going to make some socks out of water proof ripstop I have around the house and put draw cords on them.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
PescadorPete

I use the mist setting on the garden hose nozzle to rinse them. Higher water pressure can drive the salt into the reel. Wipe down with a soft cloth.

After they are dry, I wipe them with a cloth that has been dampened with Corrosion-X. This bonds to the metal reels and repels the salt. Graphite reels are much more forgiving.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote