Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 12/30 12/31 Final run

Here's my belated report from the last two days. Fri Nils and I got out early just after Andy. Went NW to a favorite bait spot and loaded up on greenies, then joined the crowd in the spot. FF got nailed by a wave on the way out and the screen was messed up for the first half of the day. Drifted out and started to work the bottom, but only found a couple of decent sized starries and assorted other minature rockfish. Stayed out till 3:30PM but it was mostly for naught. On the way in a group of dolphins seemed to be engaged in some sort of amorous activity right off the beach. The let us get very close, so distracted were they.

Sat morning we had the plan to go north and try for a hail mary flat one. On the way out we ran into the yak fisherman's worse nightmare....a pack of psychopups.

There was a group of at least a dozen youngsters being herded by several large adult dogs. They would follow us around, all 15 or so grouped up and sticking their heads up. We really need some big GW to cruise through and clean out these pinniped McNuggets or its going to be a long season. :?

Loaded up on greenies west of the pier and headed up to Torrey south reef, bouncing for nothing the whole way. On the reef we proceeded to limit on turds (all released), but none of the flat kind. Saw the crap weather rolling in and headed in around 1:00, but still got rained on.

Congratulations to Arne and Andy, in whatever order they wound up. It was my distinct priviledge to have fished with you guys and many others this year, and I am honored to be on the podium (or in the money, as it were) with the cream of the crop. I think this year's WCW showed that skill, luck, and good instincts go hand in hand in hand and I have been impressed by the combination of all three you guys possessed. Then there is always sheer stubbornness (with a little good luck thrown in), as in my case. Looking forward to doing it again this year, hopefully with a few of the other top guys in the mix down the stretch (if Mr. Seriola ever learns how to catch a flattie. ). Cheers!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
kurt

Thanks for the report. Congrats on you outstanding finish in the WCW. Hope I catch half as many fish this upcoming year as you did this year! How was the surf at the launch?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
madscientist

Kind of crappy conditions at the launch in the morning (high tide) but the low tide landings were trouble free.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Congrats Brad on your finish, it was a lot of fun fishing the PM shift this year, bugging Torrey Pines (except the long paddle ) thanks for all the suds... My New Years resolution is to win the 2006 WCW! :P

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
lamb

Awesome report to wrap up the season Bradsky…

Congrats on your top 3 placement, you the man. Wasn’t even a full year ago when Jasmin and I were debating whether that was a new chick or a guy on the blue eX.

Heads off to Andy and Arne. Can’t wait for that 05 celebration.

I bow to the masters. 8)

Chris, easy... Line up, we all got the same new years resolution... :lol:
Old 01-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Arne

What a great year - getting to fish with so many talented and genuine folks, meeting new people with a huge common interest, and spending time on the water with everyone. Thanks Greg, Corey, and Andy for allowing us to "hang out" at the BWE.

Brad, I'm sure I will see you out there soon - on Tuesdays. Keep the reports coming. I think I go into withdrawals when someone's not posting.

2005 was a year of extremely good luck for me ... and here's to everyone's 2006 - best of luck to all!

Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote