Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
M4TT

First time kayak fishing was....an experience.

Well i decided to go out today to Malibu with a buddy. It was both of our first time ever kayak fishing (ocean or lake) and from what everyone says about how calm and pristine Malibu is, what better place to learn?

I started off the day on a bad note when my friend pointed out that a clip on the nose of my kraken which keeps the front hatch shut, had broke off. I thought it wasnt a big deal and that i'd contact Jackson to get a new one on Monday.

We get to Malibu, get our kayaks on the beach, and launch. Everything is smooth sailing as we pass the end of the pier. About 50 yards further out, i turn on my bait tank to show that it works and then proceed to set up my fishing rod to troll.

About 30 seconds later while setting up and my yak flips.

This is where the fun begins.. So i'm obviously a little worried but i flip the yak and try to hop back in only to have the yak tip AGAIN. Then i notice it's taking on water.

i yell to my friend that the yak is going down and that we need to head back (hopefully with my kayak).

So I grab on to the back of his yak and he starts paddling and doing his best to get us in while i'm in the water holding on to my yak to keep it from sinking. Then it sinks in that i forgot to attach my rod to the kayak and that it's gone. Practically brand new set up is bye bye I then immediately open the submerged center hatch to grab my phone and keys out hoping my phone might be okay and hand it to my friend.

About 20-30 minutes later, we reach shore with the lifeguard who helped us flip it and empty all the water. Paddle is somewhere in the ocean, sandals are gone as well and i'm probably borderline hypothermia but we're back with my kayak. Thank god.

10 minutes later and the lifeguard points out my paddle and next to it are my sandals. woohoo... -_- still not my rod & reel and after asking my friend to see my phone i see that its totally fucked.

So my iPhone 6 ($275 to replace), i lost my rod & reel($450+ to replace), the center hatch for my kayak is somewhere in the water (no clue the cost to replace but i'm hoping its relatively cheap) and my bait tank battery is totally ruined ($80). To top it all off, since it was our first time out, if we told the women, they'd never let us go back out for safety reasons. So i told my gf that my yak tipped on its side on the way in and took a little water ruining my battery and phone. She's ecstatic.

Great first experience and look forward to many more!

I also forgot to mention that there were no waves at all and i had my seat set to the highest setting which i'm assuming assisted with me tipping? My friend thinks that because the bait tank was full and my seat was all the way back, that caused the flip.

What caused it to take water so quickly was the broken front hatch.

Now i know and next time i'll obviously make sure everything is right before i go. I just wanted to get a little practice in before the MBC which i likely will not be able to go to now.
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
TheBoyScout

Buy my Hobie outback and you won't have those problems, sorry bud
TheBoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
2-Stix

fish the harbors. your over your head with no experience. wait till theres waves. glad your alive. i have been around for rescues before.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 04-09-2016 at 06:57 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
AndyK
Junior

What kind of Kayak were you in?
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
Druko

What 2 sticks said and more. Go play in MDR and get all the kinks worked out. Then take it out in the surf with no gear and practice launching and landing. Sucks about your donation.
Druko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Starsky

+1, practice self rescue in a bay/lagoon/pool. Even if there were no waves, current and chop can flip you if you arent used to balancing. Sorry to hear about your gear loss, but it also could have been worse.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Wanderingincircles
Junior

You made it home safe. That's what counts. Get a lifeproof case for your new phone. I love those things. Worth every penny imo.
Wanderingincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
M4TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
What kind of Kayak were you in?
Jackson Kraken
Old 04-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #9
M4TT

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was told what you guys are telling me in another thread but decided to give Malibu a shot anyway. I don't believe the location really mattered since it was so flat but i'll definitely get used to my kayak empty to try to prevent this again.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #10
momo fish

Next time you decide to head out shoot me a PM and I'll at least come out to give you some pointers and look over your setup if I'm not able to head out..

The pier area while good to learn to launch if no surf is not really an area to fish.. But at least coast guard is right there with a boat to come out in a minute if anything does happen..

There are far easier launches with far better fishing nearby that are unknown to 95% of kayakers..

Good luck
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #11
Mahigeer

I am new to kayaking too, so I have been taking my "less expensive" rod and reels. Even with all leashed.

I plan to do some self-rescue using a float at the paddle when the water gets warmer inside the jetty at Redondo beach.

Ocean must be respected at all times.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #12
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I am new to kayaking too, so I have been taking my "less expensive" rod and reels. Even with all leashed.

I plan to do some self-rescue using a float at the paddle when the water gets warmer inside the jetty at Redondo beach.

Ocean must be respected at all times.
Completely agree with self-rescue practice. For me, it was harder than it looks on all those YouTube videos. Also do it with your PFD on. My PFD kept getting caught on the edge of my yak and I couldn't pull myself in until I figured out what was going on.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote