Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

YakJoe and his gang all ride hobies so they must be the best for open water!

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #22
NEEFFF

Speaking of Pro Anglers, Anyone interested in a trade?? I have a 2013 Olive Outback, Looking for an even trade!! hahaha

its Worth a try !! hahah
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEFFF View Post
Speaking of Pro Anglers, Anyone interested in a trade?? I have a 2013 Olive Outback, Looking for an even trade!! hahaha

its Worth a try !! hahah
Good idea
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #24
blitzburgh

Hobie Pro Angler = Worst Kayak Ever.
That said, I'll be looking to purchase my third PA soon . Seriously though, great discussion.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
CKallday71

I love my Outback. When I get my second Yak I'll probably get the PA 12 and keep the Outback for friends to use.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
TJones

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYqcHE4WVSs#t=143
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #27
ful-rac
Emperor

I still don't see what's so funny....
Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #28
Iceman
Administrator

Tony did you feel the bow hit bottom, sure looked like. I had a similar experience where the bow got pushed into the sand bottom and I was standing straight up on the foot pegs, luckily managed to fall back in the seat and ride in unscathed.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #29
momo fish

So this must be what it feels like to carry a PA... . ( saw this today as I'm driving )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #30
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Tony did you feel the bow hit bottom, sure looked like. I had a similar experience where the bow got pushed into the sand bottom and I was standing straight up on the foot pegs, luckily managed to fall back in the seat and ride in unscathed.
Oh it hit bottom alright...I heard a loud snap as it hit...that turned out to be my yakattak light pole.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #31
CaliShark
Kayak fishing noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I still don't see what's so funny....
The actual flipping part isn't nearly as hilarious as the video editing is. Cutting in the gangnam style music video is fucking awesome that's what had me laughing...

I noticed when you were peddling in you weren't looking over your shoulder behind you and the wave kind of hit you by surprise...When ever I'm in that zone I'm constantly looking behind to see the waves. Also when you flipped and stood up you were in like 2 feet of water. I would have jumped out and walked my yak in if I was that shallow.

CaliShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #32
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliShark View Post
The actual flipping part isn't nearly as hilarious as the video editing is. Cutting in the gangnam style music video is fucking awesome that's what had me laughing...

I noticed when you were peddling in you weren't looking over your shoulder behind you and the wave kind of hit you by surprise...When ever I'm in that zone I'm constantly looking behind to see the waves. Also when you flipped and stood up you were in like 2 feet of water. I would have jumped out and walked my yak in if I was that shallow.

Yes...

Thanks for schooling me on that....

I'll remember that next time...
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #33
jorluivil

Hobie don't have reverse? Seriously? I can't believe I just read that!

If you decide to paddle in the dark and run into kelp are you just going to sit there until someone rescues you or are you going to back out of it using your paddle?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I ran across another article listing Hobie cons I thought to share. The guy is obviously selling paddle kayaks so keep that in mind. Hobie is sort of like Apple IMO, they are able to sell you anything even if it has some flaws and is overpriced... great marketing. Anyway, some interesting points raised in the article are worth a look.

http://wavewalk.com/blog/2010/10/11/...ishing-kayaks/

Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #35
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

After carefully collecting data over the past 6 years I can definitively report that 14.6 percent of Hobie will breakdown in a 3 day fishing trip. #ItsNOTakayak
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #36
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
After carefully collecting data over the past 6 years I can definitively report that 14.6 percent of Hobie will breakdown in a 3 day fishing trip. #ItsNOTakayak

This is a fine example of hobie derangement syndrome...similar to bush derangement syndrome
Old 05-31-2015, 07:56 PM   #37
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Tony tony

Great post! I've been lurking in the private message arena for a while asking all the questions I was afraid to post out in front because I own a pa14 and didn't want to apear to be a Hobie douter. I think that in hindsight I would go fishing a lot more if it was easier to get the yak to and from the water. I really hate the wondering steering on the pa. I really like some of the Malibu models- light and high capacity. And I almost forgot CHEAP!!!
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #38
taggermike

Great post. I agree that hobies have a loyal following and critism is rare. I've seen the complete evolution of the Hobie and the attitudes toward them. I saw a mirage drive before there was a boat to put it in. I recall thinking it was a weird piece of excersize equipment. Like a 'thigh master'. When Hobies started showing up at the LJ launch the paddling majority thought they were a flashy trend and i remember debates as to whether they were ever kayaks. Things have come full circle, and several times I have been the only paddler on beach full of peddlers. I have never been on a PA, but have fished from an out back and an adventure. They were great and the mirage drive is an amazing piece of equipment. Its been said many times here and else where that every kayak is a trade off; stability vs speed, primary vs secondary stability. And now paddle vs peddle. I've been fishing my 15 year old original OK prowler 15. Again a trade off. I sit in a puddle, my ass is level with my feet. But its fast a shit, cuts right thru wind waves kelp n chop, I can carry or drag it about any where. Pretty much any where I can get to the water is a launch. Try before you by, or if you got the scratch, get both. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #39
tsugg
LOWSPARK

group buy !!

Now that most of us hobie owners/haters are out of the kayak closet lets get a group buy on some MALIBU X-FACTORS !!!! lol,
then me and tony and a few others will have six packs by the time beach season is here and we can sit around on the beach and drink beverages with our shirts off !! and sheet talk the peddelers.rof
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #40
PapaDave

Hobie bashers you are... Jealous you may be...

Sorry, I'll stick to my PA14. Oh yeah, and my PA17 as well. The grandkids love it.

And I'm positive that Tony has landed his kayak upright many more times than he has tipped.