Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
t.n.hughes
Junior

Anybody have experience with...

Back injury? I've been lurking on the board, trying to figure out which yak to get, whether to pedal or paddle. My issue is I have a history of back injury, including surgery. After reading JDFISH's ad for his revo and why he has to sell, I was just wondering... How many of you guys have back pain history? Anybody been through back surgery and still fished the yak?

Thanks.

Todd
t.n.hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
food4less562

I've had back surgery a couple years back, but still do find a little sharp pain while kayaking. For me, as long as I stabilize my back with a good seat I don't feel any discomfort. I paddle and peddle. When paddling I'm using mostly my shoulders. Definitely will wear you out if you're doing that long distance. For distance I just use my peddle kayak.
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
JeffB

I have a cpl herniated discs in my very lower back, compliments to the Corps. My lowest disc tends to slip slightly form time to time leaving me with many sleepless nights before it finally pops back into place. I found that no matter what yak I have used, they have never did my back any justice. I have owned a prowler, trident, tarpon, and a Revo. I have fished an outback,fish 'n' dive, maurader, and a PA ( both the old 14 and the newer 12) as well. No matter what, my back is always killing at the end of the day, depending how long I stay out. Not sure what area of your back you have problems, but stretching nicely before you get on the water may help. It made sound funny, but I always stretch out really good at home before I hit the water. It is the one thing that i have tooken from my physical therapy that I find works for me. There maybe guys on here who swear that a certain yak will heal you, but I haven't found it. The one thing though, my paddle kayaks did wonders for my injured shoulder. I separated it in Afghan and was forced to leave the gym.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I have a inoperable back injury [annular tear in the L-5, S-1 & a couple of bulging discs (so most orthopedic surgeons I've been examined by have told me)]. I had bought a pro explorer for exercise purposes & found the twisting & digging (high angle paddling) was killing me & making my condition worse . After a couple years of "lurking" on this site then joining, I have learned (at least in my instance) is that I can tolerate pedaling.
After reading about many members here with different back injuries & some simulated movement on an exercise machine I finally decided on a HOBIE Outback. About a month ago I dropped off my pro explorer @ OEX SSB for a trade-in and to accessorize my new Outback while there before leaving I asked "Andy" if I could test out a "Revo" just to see about stability issues compared to the Outback. It was equipped with standard fins & rudder but I found it comfortable and most of all painless after about 15 minutes of 'aggressive' pedaling!
This is just MY experience.
Not knowing exactly what back injury you're suffering from may be different to mine. Maybe consult with a orthopedic surgeon and if you can get him to view the "Mirage Drive" video maybe he can advise you. I was able to do that and got a Rx for mine which I hope to get reimbursed for!
My other best suggestion as given to me by members on this forum, is to try one out!
Otherwise it's the only way you'll know if you can do either.
Best of luck/prayers.
FFY.

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 03-30-2013 at 11:52 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Croaker Dave

Over the years I have learned to protect my back while kayaking. Or pay a price. I'm bone-on-bone in two of my vertebrae. I'm trying to find ways live with it and avoid surgery as long as I can.

Loading and unloading: I use a set of hully rollers on the roof rack. I only have to lift the front end of the yak onto the back edge of the roof, then go to back of the yak and roll it onto the roof with an easy push.

Setup and takedown: Deliberate and slow, avoid bending over and horseing the yak around. It's when I rush that I start straining the back.

For moving the yak around, in and out of garage or cleaning, I use one of those padded leg straps attached to the eyelets and lift and carry with that.

For paddling I have to remind myself to keep the back up against the seat and supported. When I forget it will start to hurt.

And I always take an anti-inflam pill before going. Celebrex, Meloxicam, something like that. That helps a lot.

Everyone's back injuries are different and have different symptoms and treatments. Understanding your own as much as possible is key.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote