Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #21
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Yeah well my take is threads like this are good because they get people to think about things they otherwise would not know. The scenario above is not something that happens every day, but when it does happen it's good to know what to do.

I'm really only responding though just to add something.

When you break the line in the method I described above by holding on to the reel and using your thumbs on the side of the spool, you want to hold the rod and reel down as low in your lap as low as possible. It's once again about leverage. Hold it high and the pull of the line will try and pull you over in a kayak, if you hold it low it wont. Brace yourself, point the rod towards the direction the lines going, get it as low as possible, grab the reel with both hands, wait till almost all the line is gone, then stop the reel by applying both thumbs hard to each side of the spool.
Jim, you forgot to say "Enjoy the ride!"
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
TJones

genius

i know how to adjust a Lever Drag on the fly after hooking something . it can only be done one way and on a boat . by taking 6 - 8 steps back from rail on BOAT , putting the real in neutral , doing your adjustment and putting the reel back in gear as you are moving forward . even this is highly risky . i didn't start fishing yesterday. and if you had ever had the experience of accidentally hooking a dolphin you would now all of the above occurred within minutes . not hours where i could debate on what to do . apparently you missed a couple parts of the article . (a) the part that stated i buttoned down the drag . (b) the part that said i almost flipped because i got turned sideways . and i am on a narrow yak . i have only been kayaking for 3 years , and this was like hooking a shark , a learning experience for me . i believe in GOD ,JESUS, and the HOLY SPIRIT. he holds all the keys to life and death . if the mammal dies he is watching and so be it. thank you for your opinion.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #23
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
i know how to adjust a Lever Drag on the fly after hooking something . it can only be done one way and on a boat . by taking 6 - 8 steps back from rail on BOAT , putting the real in neutral , doing your adjustment and putting the reel back in gear as you are moving forward . even this is highly risky . i didn't start fishing yesterday. and if you had ever had the experience of accidentally hooking a dolphin you would now all of the above occurred within minutes . not hours where i could debate on what to do . apparently you missed a couple parts of the article . (a) the part that stated i buttoned down the drag . (b) the part that said i almost flipped because i got turned sideways . and i am on a narrow yak . i have only been kayaking for 3 years , and this was like hooking a shark , a learning experience for me . i believe in GOD ,JESUS, and the HOLY SPIRIT. he holds all the keys to life and death . if the mammal dies he is watching and so be it. thank you for your opinion.

Normally I don't post about my beliefs, But your making me seriously think about Darwin's Natural Selection.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Taste like tuna... now can we close this and move on.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 AM   #25
Roundeye
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
I'll be honest: what you did is incredibly foolish and irresponsible. The fact your trying to justify it by somehow pretending you were in danger is absolutely ridiculous.

What do you think is going to happen to that 450yards of spectra? Best case scenario is the Dolphin will drag it around until it finds a way to snag it on something then breaks free. Worst case scenario is it freaks out and tries to keep running away from it till it completely exhaust itself and die. Of the two the second is the most likely, but what about all your spectra?

First scenario will probably happen in shallow water around structure and kelp, scenario two that dead dolphin could end up anywhere possibly wash back to shore until the spectra hangs and it floats around rotting. In either scenrio what then happens to the spectra? Well..... The Spectra sinks to the bottom all four football fields of it and then it starts to tangle up with stuff. Rocks, kelp, anything stupid enough to run into it like rockfish, lobsters or crabs. It's going to lie there waiting for anyone to drop a Iron down, or any bottom rig to snag it and if any of the many fisherman that hang it over the years are using lighter line then your spectra they are now going to loose their lures, and rigs to it. If it ends up in a popular area that's fished hard over time it's going to create a huge ball of crap that snags up anything that's dropped on it. I know some reefs that are almost unfishable (Venice reef is the worst) because of all the broken line on them.

It's spectra, it's not going to rot, it's not going to loose it's strength, it's not going to disappear. It's going to be down there screwing things up for decades and it's your fault because you got scared of angry Dolphins and panicked.

So what could you have done differently?

I mean it's not your fault cause you were helpless and in danger right? You had no choice. Yep those killer dolphins were going to jump into your kayak and hump you, I hear they are all rapists in the wild.

C-mon....Let's be real... you were never in any kind of danger.

In the real world when something is taking all your line, and you can't possibly stop them you can get out of it without leaving hundreds of yards of line in the water.

First tighten your drag as much as you can and wait until the line is 3/4 down the spool, then point the rod directly towards the fish take the reel in both hands like your holding a ball someone is trying to knock out of your hands. Now watch the spool. As the line disappears the effective diameter of the spool is getting smaller and smaller. That means it's turning faster and faster but it also means the leverage of the line to turn the spool is decreasing, the drag is increasing, but also your ability to stop the spool is increasing. Watch it get smaller holding the reel in both hands and when it get's down to a few dozen turns then take each thumb and press both sides of the spool as hard as you can, and you will be able to completely stop the spool.

It's all leverage. If you thumbed the line with a single thumb, you'd have the same torque as the line coming off the reel it would slip and do to it's irregular shape and high speed it would burn you. The spool is smooth it's not going to burn you, and since your thumbs are hitting it further from the center of the spool you have a huge leverage advantage so you can stop it.

It's like your making your own disc brake out of the reel spool. Think about it a disc brake the size of a dinner plate can stop a car going 100 miles an hour, your two thumbs are like brake pads on the two sides of your spool disc brake.

Do not try to touch the line do not just thumb the line on the spool because it will burn your thumb. Use both thumbs on each side of the spool out towards the edge and press like hell and you will safely stop the spool.

Now you just wait. You don't have to jerk, you don't have to pull just hold on keep the spool from turning and wait for the fish, seal, dolphin boat or whatever else you've hooked to break the line. Sometimes with fish you will actually stop them. I turned a 9ft Hammerhead like this on the beach at Padre Island, and stopped a Marlin like this fishing a dead boat locally fishing mono. It was actually kind of crazy sitting there watching that mono stretch like a huge rubber band but the fish never broke it and turned.

Keep on mind that Spectra unlike mono is slick by nature which means even in the best scenario knots are never 100%. That means that when whatever is pulling your line puts enough pressure on the line to break it, it's almost always going to slip and break at the your splice or knot. If not there it will break in the first hundred feet or so probably if there is a flaw from you using it. The first hundred feet has been used the rest is like new.

Add to that that the friction of the dolphin pulling the line through the water causes there to be more pressure at the knot then at your reel.

Again...Think for a second.

The reel just has the pressure of your drag setting, but now imagine being in a boat moving at speed with four hundred yards of line out trying to reel it towards the boat. It would be a bitch because all that line creates a ton of friction and drag just going through the water. Well add that drag to the pressure of your drag when something is taking all your line. The pressure on your line at that Dolphin is maybe a third or more greater then it was at your reel.

I know it looks like I'm bashing you but I'm really just telling you this stuff so you and others wont make this same mistake again.

You made a mistake, now you know, don't do it again.

Jim

Good Lord ! class is in session. do you prefer Max Well House or Folgers
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #26
kluts

hookup

Some things you should just not post about at all!! your just giving the enviros more ammo against us,..floating black seabass..hooked a seal,and now what you just did,...come on man..keep the stuff that can work against fisherman off the internet,just sayin
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundeye View Post
Good Lord ! class is in session. do you prefer Max Well House or Folgers

Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha!!!!

Roundeye I just got to say: I love ya man. You are So incredibly Awesome!!!! I MEAN YOU SIGNED UP FOUR DAYS AFTER I DID, MADE FIVE POSTS IN FOUR YEARS AND THREE OUT OF FIVE INCLUDING YOUR FIRST AND LAST HAVE BEEN DIRECTED AT ME!!!!!

I'm simply OVERWHELMED!!

I mean seriously what's it been five or six years since I've seen you on the water? I don't even kayak in your area anymore, post where you post on the web or have any contact with you in any way, and yet you still have a hard-on for me.

I even heard you still post smack about me on that old message board, and I bet you sent links to to my post in this thread to everyone you know.

You can't buy that kind of obsessive devotion with cash money.

Thanks for the post you absolutely just made my day.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #28
driftwood

Fiskadoro, your method is probably good only if your are in a boat 20 miles offshore. The problem with releasing that much line when your are fishing on a kayak is all the lobster buoys, boats and other kayakers fishing around you. Imagine the cluster disaster!

The best advice...use lighter line...thats all need to be said.

Last edited by driftwood; 01-16-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #29
smithers

Beware

Quote:
.... i have only been kayaking for 3 years , and this was like hooking a shark , a learning experience for me . i believe in GOD ,JESUS, and the HOLY SPIRIT. he holds all the keys to life and death . if the mammal dies he is watching and so be it. thank you for your opinion.
Cthulu is also watching and should you kill a dolphin or dump 400 yards of spectra into the ocean there is no "so be it".

While it may be convenient to have a deity who shoulders your responsibilities, surely it is written that one of Cthulu's minions will drag you to the murky depths for such a crime!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #30
Fiskadoro

Quote:
I want to apologize to you TJ.

Obviously you feel bad about what happened and I'll admit I was a little mad about the whole thing when I posted my post. I just edited it and took out the harsh parts that give you a hard time.

The other stuff is good info and it works.

I have hooked dolphins or more technically porpoises on three occasions. Twice in the same day fishing for Barracuda in Santa Monica Bay, and once fishing schooling bluefin tuna offshore south of the 425.

I completely understand what you are saying about time, and how fast it happens.

Nothing except maybe a Wahoo takes off that fast and unlike wahoo they head straight for the horizon.

That said the technique I described worked for me all three times.

A little background... My buddies and I came up with this system while surf fishing years ago for sharks in the four wheel drive only area at North Padre Island. We'd fish forty miles down the beach maybe sixty miles from the nearest road for a week at a time and and you only had the gear you carried in. We'd fish either wide Penn 4/0s with sixty dacron or a 9/0 with 80 Dacron. 99% of the sharks you'd hook could be landed on that gear, but every once in a while you'd hook a monster tiger or hammerhead that you just couldn't stop. We had the same issue. Can't follow them, and 60 or 80lbs Dacron is hard to break standing on a beach. If you let the shark go all the way down to the spool the line would snap at the reel, and you'd be screwed because lines expensive and we usually did not have much extra line with us on any given trip.

We finally figured out if you sat down on the beach, dug your feet in the sand then held the reel down low between your legs and thumbed the sides of the spool once the reel was almost empty we could break the shark off without loosing all our line. If we kept enough wraps on the spool to keep the spool knot safe I'd say well over 90% of the time the line broke right at the fish or within a few feet of it.

It should work just aas well form a yak as long as you keep the reel down low.... certainly not something you use every day but it's a good thing to know about and I strongly recommend it.

At any rate sorry I gave you a hard time. I'm sure you feel bad enough already. Try to take the positive out of it that I left and ignore the negative I removed.

You got better trips coming.

Tight lines, Jim
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #31
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
The best advice...use lighter line...thats all need to be said.
No doubt. I only fish 30 and 40 topshots Max of a kayak. What get's me is hanging up on the bottom. Breaking forty is tough enough
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
kluts

Fish

at it again,3 pages of,I didnt say that,I didnt mean that,oh,im sorry,must edit,and the beat goes on

Last edited by Iceman; 01-17-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #33
Randy214
Junior

Best to post "What do you guys do if you hook a dolphin?"

This gets good advise on the forum without being bashed for wrecking a reef for a couple hundred years, killing a dolphin and a jab at your religious beliefs.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
dorado50

I hooked a dolphin once and after taking out 100yds. of spectra I said "fu`k this sh*it and cut the line, saved 200yds. of new spectra!.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #35
monkeyfishturds

Quote:
i didn't start fishing yesterday.

i almost flipped because i got turned sideways .

Fishing without being able to bust off your terminal tackle is dangerous. Cutting your line every time you get into trouble means your polluting the ocean. You shouldn't fish with line you can't break. Pointing your rod to the bow no matter which way your tip is bending will keep you from getting sideways and flipping.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #36
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
close out this thread pleeease

oh administrator you can close it out now - problem has been solved....
unless we want to ask the baby harp seal society for a post....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Ccl_cxj2U
Closed Thread