Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Viper3173

Need suggestions for new outback rigging

My torn labrum in my shoulder is getting the best of me on my Stealth so I made the plunge to join the peddle army yesterday with a new to me, slightly used 2015 Outback! It is completely stock so I'm looking for any suggestions for rigging from the seasoned peddlers out there. Other than mounting my Elite 5 on the side rail I have no idea what else is a must have vs can go without.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Rod holders? Hobie bait tame vs vital vault? Where do you guys store your kill, in the hull?

Thanks!
Patrick
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
flemdogg
Island Blood

First thing is to get turbo fins and a sailing rudder. It will make life a lot easier, more distance with each peddle, and tighter turning radius.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

rectangular hatch is popular, cou0ple others, Hobie livewell, wheel cart
Old 07-09-2015, 07:01 AM   #4
619-SWIM-DOG

I store fish in the front hatch using a fish bag with some ice packs.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
ctfphoto

Not enough room in the front hatch for Big fish imo, plus I store stuff in the front hatch.

Caught Two YT last Wednesday and stored them behind the bait tank covered in a wet towel.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #6
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

The Hobie Trax cart is a must, the smaller one with inflatable tires will work on the outback. This made huge difference when I traded up for the trax 2 for my PA. A live well is a must if you are chasing the YT and I have used it allot going for the Halis. I agree with Flemdogg, those fins are legit. Keep it simple that's what Ive learned! Enjoy it and welcome to the Hobie world!
kjsdad619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
The pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
rectangular hatch is popular, cou0ple others, Hobie livewell, wheel cart
X2 on the rectangular hatch. I had the round hatch on my outback and upgraded to the PA and the rectangular hatch w plano boxes is a huge help on the water. All the tackle I need can fit in one of those little boxes and items are way more accessible than the old plastic bucket I kept in the outback round hatch.
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Not enough room in the front hatch for Big fish imo, plus I store stuff in the front hatch.

Caught Two YT last Wednesday and stored them behind the bait tank covered in a wet towel.
I was able to get two YT's 16.5lb and a 18lb in the front hatch in the fish bag. Granted theseare not large YT but it can work for some fish.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Viper3173

Thanks for all the great info! Looks like I'll be getting turbo fins and a sailing rudder for sure and of course will have to figure out a bait tank (hopefully without dropping 300+ on a Hobie tank).

Do you guys generally run one battery for both the tank and FF? Thats what I had on my stealth but running the pump at 12v was pretty loud and definitely overkill, but 2 batteries seems overkill too...

And any suggestions on rod holders for quick and easy rod access and trolling?

Thanks again!
Viper3173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
spyakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3173 View Post
Thanks for all the great info! Looks like I'll be getting turbo fins and a sailing rudder for sure and of course will have to figure out a bait tank (hopefully without dropping 300+ on a Hobie tank).

Do you guys generally run one battery for both the tank and FF? Thats what I had on my stealth but running the pump at 12v was pretty loud and definitely overkill, but 2 batteries seems overkill too...

And any suggestions on rod holders for quick and easy rod access and trolling?

Thanks again!
I run two batteries, with the hobie bait tank it has a built in spot for a 6v, but if you go the diy route I would still say go with 2 batteries. The 12v for the bait tank pump is overkill. Stick with the 6v.
As for rod holders you can buy the extended ones to throw in the slots behind you, or make it yourself. I made a couple with pvc. Just heat up the bottom part of pvc and push it into the kayak rod holder slot, The pvc will melt and resize itself to get a snug fit.
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #11
igotpron
Xcoastie

Spring for the hobie livewell. Find one used or new, bypass switch and run hard wired straight to battery. You will defenatly notice a hang over the side pump style bait tank drag and it will slow you down. Especially if your trying to chase birds, you want to be as fast as possible with minimal effort. Just keep a small piece of 3/4 tubing to prime or clear the intake if you need to. They usually prime just fine but sometimes they might give you a hard time.

Run two batteries, sucks when one dies and you loose both. (FF and bait tank)

It's just silly all hobie kayaks don't come stock with turbo fins. That's an absolute must.

Rod holders are a personal preference but I believe Eveyone will agree buy scotty, whatever style suits you. And for the fish finder mounting, go with the ram mounts.

Last edited by igotpron; 07-09-2015 at 04:28 PM. Reason: ..
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote