Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Double lunged
Junior

Kayak vs boat

Hey guys I'm relocating to the Encinitas area at the end of February and want to get fishing right away. I was hoping someone could help explain the pros and cons of having a kayak versus a boat.

It seems that you can get a 14ft aluminum boat for about the same price as a decent kayak. Is kayak fishing just about the extra challenge?

Thanks
Double lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
TheBentRod

Fishing from a kayak is a different experience. It is not for everyone. The anglers that stick with it do for various reasons. I personally think there is nothing better.

With the act of casting a lure or bait being the same on either, the differences for me are as follows:

Fishing local kelp paddies - Kayak is better, no engine to get tangled up.
Environment - kayak - no emissions
Exercise, meeting new people, excitement, beach launches, beach landings - Kayak.

Range - boat

If I want to venture further offshore than I am willing to go on a yak, I go on a party boat. Another reason for a 14' boat is health issues. It does require flexibility and stamina to handle a day on the water on a yak.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Lipripper92592

I've had a 14' Zodiac, 17' Center Console, and now a Trident 15. BOAT really means "Bust Out Another Thousand".....and that my friend is a fact. Of all three seaworthy vessels my kayak is my favorite. You don't have to wory about fuel, your silent in the kelp beds, you can't top a sleigh ride from a tuna or WSB on a kayak. If you are going to consider a 14 alum boat, you'll be able to handle about the same swell a kayak can. You can get a decent fully rigged kayak for under $600, and I have not seem and decent boats even close to that price range. Good luck!
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Cbad Mike

I personally love the overall challenge of fishing while four inches above the water. I like the aspect that you need to think about every piece of tackle that you bring because of space issues. I feel more at one with nature silently paddling along through the kelp. I really dig the view of all the sea life from the low vantage point. As for excitement... I've found nothing fishing wise that beats battling a fish and going on a sleigh ride while floating in a piece of plastic.

If I was going to buy a boat I'd get something in the range of 21-26 feet with a little cabin. That way I could spend more time on the water.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Saba Slayer

Love 'Em Both!

I Love 'em both...I have 5 kayaks (Torque, 11' & 15' Tridents, Cobra F&D, Malibu IIXL) and a Welcraft 18' Center Console with a Honda 90HP.
I caught a 34lbs. Halibut in my Torque last summer along with lots of other smaller Butts and more than my share of Bonito in the Trident yaks this fall...
...but...
when it's cold and rough and I feel like doing some winter fishing or hooping for some Lobsters or Crabs...it sure is nice to be warm and dry in my skiff...and when the Barracuda first arrive up here and they are either moving too fast for the yak or they are just out of range from a safe launch, then the skiff is the way to go for me. It's always going to be more expensive, but as long as I can afford to keep and run my skiff, then I'll continue to enjoy the ease. I also enjoy the kayak mother-ship trips along PV.
Don't get me wrong...I love my yaks...as soon as April 1st rolls around, the skiff will be out of the slip and back in the yard again, waiting for a good reason to launch it...and the yaks will be prowling Torrance Beach and Palos Verdes looking for that 40 pound Halibut!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Redeyejedi

everything mentioned...

and i am a nood and have a friend who recently bought a boat and hits the islands regulary in nice conditions, but he can't drive a car in a parking lot so i am reluctant cruise...since my virgin paddle i have been hooked....the peacefulness, perspective, silence, and soliude(and costs of course) make my new yak a new found funnel for freedom.
TBR, well said... shoot me a pm if youre down to hit heavens, dear creek, or geof's...or...

aaron
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Double lunged
Junior

Thanks guys. I'm going to weigh all my options I guess.

I'm in the process of selling all of my whitewater kayaking gear and raft, before I move. So i'm big on paddling. I'll also have a decent chunk of change to "reinvest". The main allure of having a boat was being able to take out my girlfriend or any friends that come to visit. I guess if I find the right deal I might end up with both !!!
Double lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
Sdspeed

Where ya gonna park all these toys?
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Where ya gonna park all these toys?

That's why I had to sell my center console, after spending countless hours and a good chunk o change to completely rewire & move electronics to the t-top. No-where to park it. Before you buy make sure you have somewhere you can legally park a boat. My driveway was not an option
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #10
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
That's why I had to sell my center console, after spending countless hours and a good chunk o change to completely rewire & move electronics to the t-top. No-where to park it. Before you buy make sure you have somewhere you can legally park a boat. My driveway was not an option
find a good parkway.

jk....we park in driveways and drive on parkways so i was thinking leave the boat at the hangar?

...and DL, buy a boat you can also take the ladies AND the yaks you bought to places
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
sasha

Having a kayak cost you nothing if you don't use it. If you do use it all you need is gas money to get there and you can get anywhere your car goes. You don't need to make a big deal out of going with a kayak. Draw back is that your butt hurts after sitting for the entire day. I don't catch much as I'm not that good but just sitting on the water and it does feel like you sit on the water, Its magical. There is NO noise no smell, Its the bicycle of the ocean. Many times I would just sit there and enjoy the peace of being on the water.. Kayak all the way for me. Just wish had more time to go and that i didnt take a dunk most of the time I get back from a day on the water.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
MuddyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
BOAT really means "Bust Out Another Thousand".....
You misspelled it. It is: BOATT (Bust Out Another Two Thousand)
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
maui jim

Two happiest days of a boat owner...day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Nothing better than hosing off plastic with no CF fees.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
taggermike

A big advantage of a yak for me is that you don't have to register your boat and your boat's trailer. You can get your boat ready and moving pretty fast but a kayk is ready to go in a moments notice. It depends on where you live and schedule of course, but say you get off work early or you notice the wind has died in the afternoon, or you get a call from a buddy saying "lets hit it". You're ready to go. This flexability has allowed me to spend much more time on the water. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
janines.fishtales@cox.net

yak vs boat

I have never owned a boat, but I have fished out of many. Love it, great fun and I would never turn down an invitation! That said, from the moment I hit the water on a borrowed kayak, I have been absolutely hooked. I now own my own and have for about 6 months. Now, instead of waiting for an invitation, I just go. It is so much fun to rig your kayak over time. I now have it pretty much rigged. Now it is a matter of seeing how everything works and what changes I will make. It is not for everyone. You don't get anywhere fast, your range is limited, it is very confining, you can bring only what is important. And, it is A LOT of work. But as I get into it, I get better and better about knowing my own system and what works for me. Now, I need to catch something big (I guess that means a surf launch!). See you out there and have fun.
Janine
janines.fishtales@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
MotoHero

Boat vs Kayak

You are on the right track with a small boat of Aluminum; open floor etc. for quick easy clean and inspection. Otherwise you are doing continual maintenance etc to keep systems up to par.

I keep an aluminum in my garage and (2) kayaks. both easy to haul boat costs money even when sitting.

Keep it simple you will be way better off in the long run,

Dwayne
MotoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #17
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Remember the fact that "boats" require an annual Coast Guard inspection & if you trailer it the trailer has to be registered. There's also added insurance, there goes a couple hundred extra $ per year.
Personally it's a freedom thing for me. It's the difference between being pulled by a boat water skiing and snow skiing where you decide where you go!
Once you buy a kayak it's the accessories that will get you.
I just got a disability settlement check & after some approximate estimates I figured out my new HOBIE Outback will cost me about $2500 through "Andy" @ OEX SSB.(OEX "ROCKS")!!!
From my pontoon/ float tube days, and my previous kayak I already have a THULE 887 XT kayak rooftop carrier, refillable fog horn, a kayak PFD, I got in on the OEX (2) Seairsport pacific angler Group Buy (GB) kayak seats, extra rod holders etc. all I need to add is a HOBIE Livewell and scupper cart. I just bought a Lowrance elite 5 DSI GPS FF on eBay for $400. Otherwise I'm all set. (Almost forgot the most important accessory I still need to buy...a good quality marine VHF radio)
FFY.
btw: in addition I don't know of any "long range" boats you can take your own skiff on, like the OEX kayak trips (and I would dare you to make a trip to where these trips go in a 14' skiff...San Clemente, San Martin and Coronado islands.) unless you have a death wish. J/K LOL!

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 01-16-2013 at 02:14 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double lunged View Post
Thanks guys. I'm going to weigh all my options I guess.

I'm in the process of selling all of my whitewater kayaking gear and raft, before I move. So i'm big on paddling. I'll also have a decent chunk of change to "reinvest". The main allure of having a boat was being able to take out my girlfriend or any friends that come to visit. I guess if I find the right deal I might end up with both !!!
There are tandem kayaks for the girlfreind, even some that can be sailed. Could be fun on a slow day.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
Saba Slayer

not true

Not True..."Remember the fact that "boats" require an annual Coast Guard inspection".
I don't get it, why all the power boat bashing...?
Yea they are more expensive, but if you can afford it, why not?
A old used surf board and a milk crate is probably the cheapest way to go fishing if you are really trying to save some money.
Anthony111....I just don't know what to say...Ha Ha Ha!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
dorado50

Save your money up and buy both.....days where one dominates over the other.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote