Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
madscientist

5/13 am close encounters of the furry kind

I got out a little after 6:00. More or less the same story as yesterday. Did have a freaky encounter with the knothead. He raped a spanish off the sabiki then came back for my trap rigged deep bait. Takes it and I get ready to tug. Instead, he pops up a few feet away with my trap hook and spanish dangling from his mouth. then he swims right under me, rolls, and stares at me. I got a little freaked out so I tried to paddle off. HE FOLLOWS ME. Right behind the yak, with my line hanging out of his mouth. I turn towards a boater and speed up. He finally falls backa bit and I engage the drag and give a hard tug to rip it out. Not sure what his plan was but having a 400lb dog with my hook in its mouth, knowing that he knows I put it there, well, a little intimidating. Got the hell out of dodge after that.

Saw a few spots of YT. Bait puddling everywhere, then galloping with a few big boils/splashes, then gone. Water was good outside, mixed brown and green inside. No current. Nada.

Surf was pumping on the way out and in. Lots of tourist devastation at the launch. Second day in a row I got lucky and hopped a little one all the way to the beach, with foamers crashing behind me. Got another two bags of macs for shark chum, highlight of my day. guess my new sig should be..."keeping LJ safe for YT, one bait at a time"