Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
taggermike

Finished my kage.

After chronicly loosing gaffs, and seeing the yak fishing vids from Haiwa'i, I decided to build a kage. I picked up a length of 5/16th stainless allthread at the depot, cut a section of broom stick, and went to work. The spear feels sturdy and looks allright. The handle is maybe too long becasue it feels a bit off ballnce when held near the end. I may cut a bit off or just choke up on the grip. As I was finishing up the point cover my 11 year old daughter asked "could you kill some one with that"? I have to admit a kage is a rather nasty looking piece of equipment. Now I just need to try it out. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0413.jpg (63.3 KB, 560 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0414.jpg (74.4 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0416.jpg (72.7 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0418.jpg (68.1 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0417.jpg (83.8 KB, 539 views)
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Cbad Mike

very cool..... dont lose it
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Looks great i like that thing you put to hide the point.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
jruiz
Large Member

Have you tried to stab anything with it yet? I'm guessing the coarser the thread the better for more bite.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
salty pirate

nice work man. i hope to see a pic with a yt hangin off the end.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
skrilla

Sweet can't wait for the fish report!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
maui jim

LOOKS Great!!! now bloody it up and put some stank on er...
Old 03-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Looks good! Hopefully it works for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
lterrero
Leo

Poor fish
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I'm inspired... gonna have to make one of those myself!

I would add some barbs though - maybe sharpen up the leading edges of a wingnut and make barbs out of it, just so that the stabbed fish won't just slip off.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
f'nsabiki

Talking

I'll buy you an HDS5 Gen 2 if you dress-up like an Eskimo and take your kage down to the Children's pool and chase seals with it
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
CorvinaLoca

Hmmm?

What do anticipate needing it for in this area?
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f'nsabiki View Post
I'll buy you an HDS5 Gen 2 if you dress-up like an Eskimo and take your kage down to the Children's pool and chase seals with it
Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
MrPatrick

Kage

Just made one too. Mine is made from a golf club shaft and a 24" long 3/8" piece of threaded rod. Warped the rod with electrical tape and used a nut to cinch it down in the club shaft. Also used some rubber screw in chair feet as a way to cushion the end of the cut golf shaft. Has a good feel in the hand. Maybe ten inches of thread exposed. Just need to put a chisel point in it.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
THE DARKHORSE

Nice wrap job, Mike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterrero View Post
Poor fish
Was thinking the same thing!

On a more serious note: While that's a useful tool in the right hands I'm really hoping this doesn't catch on in local waters. I can see it with Wahoo and Cow Tuna. In that arena it makes sense, since they're actually dangerous at the surface when it comes time to land them.

But, for Yellowtail and White Sea Bass? I can see guys stabbing, sacred-Cow, eight pound Calico Bass and losing them, too. God forbid Halibut...

This isn't directed at you, Mike, specifically. Again, in the right hands, from someone who's adept at stoning fish and has perfect placement (in the brain or spine), great. The other 99% of anglers who lack that skill set---not so much. Actually a spike to the brain is the most humane practice of all.

Then there's also those situations with a 400 lb, pissed off Sea Lion, trying to rip that fish out of your hands. Some fish are instantly pulled out of the water for that very reason. And a Kage will only add another step to the process.

As a full-time fishing guide I see my fair share of spastic, over excited anglers, swinging a gaff as if they're blind folded. Glancing off of gill-plates and snapping their own lines in the process. Or gaffing themselves! I even see long time anglers with equally poor gaff placement, but that's another story. Not to mention the guys who lose fish after gaffing them.

I can only imagine the same guys with a long spike and no barb...
Old 03-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
taggermike

If I loose it I'm only out 9 bucks and then I get to make kage 2.0. After seeing the vids from the island it looks like the threads hold the fish fairly but still allow the shaft to be removed out the entrance hole. Also it looks like head is the kage target and the bones hold the shaft.

I agree with you Josh. A kage might be over kill for our local fsh. And I can see the guys that get spastic with a gaff doing the same thing with a spear. Thats a disturbing image. I've been fishing and spear fishing for a long time so I hope I'm not "that guy". I'm not maried to the kage idea; it looked worth trying and Joey at squdco was out of small gaff hooks. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
THE DARKHORSE

Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
If I loose it I'm only out 9 bucks and then I get to make kage 2.0. After seeing the vids from the island it looks like the threads hold the fish fairly but still allow the shaft to be removed out the entrance hole. Also it looks like head is the kage target and the bones hold the shaft.

I agree with you Josh. A kage might be over kill for our local fsh. And I can see the guys that get spastic with a gaff doing the same thing with a spear. Thats a disturbing image. I've been fishing and spear fishing for a long time so I hope I'm not "that guy". I'm not maried to the kage idea; it looked worth trying and Joey at squdco was out of small gaff hooks. Mike

I never even considered the monetary perspective. I suppose it does qualify as a less expensive alternative, Mike. It's the disturbing image that doesn't take much imagination to conjure up. On a broad scale it could quickly get, I don't know, ugly? The fact of the matter is if the kage catches on locally (more often than not) it's going to be in the wrong hands! That's just a fact.

Don't get me wrong, I harvest my share of fish. So I'm really trying not to be the kettle calling the pot black. From a perspective of someone who teaches guys how to gaff fish (with proper placement and control), I'm sure you get my drift.

I'm sure you'll be quick and clean with your spearfishing experience, Mike. Here's wishing you dead on accuracy and lots of stoned fish.

My only advice would be to always make sure you have a gaff along as well. While a Kage can be a great tool, doesn't mean it's always the right tool for the job (barely hooked fish, pissed off 400 lb Sea Lion, etc., come to mind). The gaff in my opinion should always follow up the cage to secure any game when it comes time to harvest.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Bigmarv
Junior

Hey follow Anglers, This is the easiest and safest way to make an Hawaiian Kage. Buy a gaff with a 316 grade stainless steel hook. Make sure that the hook has a 5/16 diameter or greater. Borrow a mallet, (steel/copper) pipe, and a piece of 2 by 4 from a buddy. Well, you know the rest. Good Luck FYI, You must only use 316 grade stainless steel (For health reasons)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.5 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by Bigmarv; 03-15-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Bigmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

Wow this whole kage thing is really catching on....
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
jruiz
Large Member

Will that work even though it's not threaded?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote