Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
toby

I know what I want for Christmas!!!

I want a new wide angle LJ webcam that's a steady live streaming and the view can be adjusted to see more of the surf entries!!!
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
I want a new wide angle LJ webcam that's a steady live streaming and the view can be adjusted to see more of the surf entries!!!
X2, like the one for Cardiff Reef! http://www.surfshot.com/Surf+Cams/Ca...Cam-64445.html

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
toby

Yeah, that's the one!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

yeah, piece of cake... and the $$ for a new one will be provided by Santa?

You've got to buy a camera, you've got to buy a webcam server, then you've got to pay for a professional installation... it adds up.

The webcam we have on the launch was about 2 times more expensive than Canon CB-50i predecessor (at a time); that's what these guys have on Cardiff reef.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VB-C50i-...3734288&sr=8-1

Big thing for us was infra red, ability to see in the dark... which the current camera does have - not great, but it's there.

Our webcam will soon turn the 4th year of service. We're coming up on a time where, like it or not, we'll have to replace it.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

just to run it by you guys - we could make the launch webcam feed appear sharper if we get our live feed in the same size like these guys have, about a quarter of our current live feed frame size. That can be done, we thought it's better to keep the larger size.

I dunno - if there's enough interest, we could put the smaller frame up.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
yani

Can we pool some money together at the Moyer Tourney
so we can upgrade the unit??

I've got lots of Euros...
Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Here's a thought. I have no idea what kind of costs we are talking about here but if there are enough people who would like an improved camera, maybe someone could take up a collection. Maybe some sort of a benefit event could be held to cover some of the costs.

This is a community resource that most of us really appreciate. It is a marketing expense for OEX at the moment but if the community wants something better, maybe the community could help defray the upgrade costs.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Aaron

OK, I'll ask...why? The current web cam serves its purpose fine and I like being able to hide from it when I'm launching/landing/loading. It drives me nuts, and I've heard many others on BWE complain about it too, when people passing by walk up to my boat, don't say a thing, and then proceed to check out my boat, my gear, and my catch ...you do realize that this is an invite for everyone with an internet connection to do just that right? Maybe I'm weird, but no thanks.

Click the webcam, check the surf, check the tide, check the sun, then go fish.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
yeah, piece of cake... and the $$ for a new one will be provided by Santa?

You've got to buy a camera, you've got to buy a webcam server, then you've got to pay for a professional installation... it adds up.

The webcam we have on the launch was about 2 times more expensive than Canon CB-50i predecessor (at a time); that's what these guys have on Cardiff reef.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VB-C50i-...3734288&sr=8-1

Big thing for us was infra red, ability to see in the dark... which the current camera does have - not great, but it's there.

Our webcam will soon turn the 4th year of service. We're coming up on a time where, like it or not, we'll have to replace it.
I really appreciate the webcam and all the work done to keep it up and running. I was just thinking outloud. I would be up for donating some bucks if this goes anywhere. I was dreaming about a stream that would look like Youtube. I don't know if that's even reasonable.

Another thought about people checking out your kayak. The camera might help identify a thief.

I like the large view.

Last edited by toby; 09-06-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: More comment
Old 09-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

it's all cool, it's good to see these kinds of discussions on something that, after all, belongs to all of us. We all use it.

Yani, yeah I could use some Drachmas, I will PM you my address. I hear Greece economy is booming.

I don't think it's a good idea to be collecting any $$ on Moyer's tourney. If you got some extra dough, please donate to the cause. The people that will use it need that $$ much more than we all need a silly webcam.

The cost is a big consideration. It's a great to know that BWE community would be willing to support future upgrades. OEX / Kayak Fishing Supplies picked up the tab with the initial cost and monthly Internet service fees. That was nicely spent marketing money with on-going value for the community. That was back at the time where business was much better. It would be tougher now to shove up a couple of K.

Maybe we can just upgrade the web server - camera itself doesn't matter that much. I will look into it.

Another thing that is really throwing a limitation is a speed of our Internet connection there. It would be nice if we can get something beefier than a business cable. But again, that would be more $$$.

My mom said it the best... America, beautiful, and expensive place - 100 meters, 100 dollars.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
umtduckhead

great idea.. when the pool starts keep me posted id like you help. this camera has helped me through some serious boring days!
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote