Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Cyn

Long Beach Harbor/Oil Islands 3/28

Sorry for the late post... I went out last week for my first time on the "real ocean" (outside the bay). My buddy and I took the Hobies out by Belmont Pier and went out to White Island.

Got to the water around 7:45am, weather was absolutely perfect. Winds between 1-2 mph, couldn't have asked for an easier surf launch, and the water was smooth as glass. Was a very eerie and neat feeling pedaling away from the coast and out into the open water, not something I've done before. Barely another soul on the water, and definitely no other kayaks.

We threw 3" big hammers of various colors and heads all day. My friend killed me on fish, he snagged 3 calicos, a lizard fish and some unidentified fish with purple on it (pic below). I hooked into a pretty decent fish (assuming calico) but it ran my line into a piling and broke it off. I managed to break the skunk 5 casts from the end of the day by grabbing a last minute lizard fish.

Looking forward to the next outing, think I might try to target some halibut!
Attached Images

Cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Good report. You were outside the bay but still inside the harbor. The "real ocean" is outside the breakwall.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
taggermike

Your mystery fish is a juvanile white seabass. Looks like a fun relaxing day. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Nice catch on the wsb, Nice pics too. Looks like a great day.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

That's the beauty of kayak'n, you could be in a city of millions and be the only guy out there. Sounds like you guys had fun! Looks like a white sea bass you got there with the purple.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Cyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Good report. You were outside the bay but still inside the harbor. The "real ocean" is outside the breakwall.
True that! I'm sure we will venture out there someday, but even getting to the breakwall is a pretty decent hike. My trips are limited to 3-4 hours at most right now and sacrificing a large amount of time just travelling isn't in my best interest yet as there is plenty of good fishing inside the wall and a lot of things I haven't explored yet.

Still neat to have to deal with large boat wake and swells that you don't normally otherwise have to deal with in the bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
That's the beauty of kayak'n, you could be in a city of millions and be the only guy out there.
I think that is the best part about it, you just feel so secluded and get away from all the sounds of the city.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

Nice report! Last summer, it was our very first time when my buddy and I paddled down to the LB breakwall on a quiet Monday morning. The waters were calm most of the time with a nice sunny weather. It took us about 30 minutes returning back to the Cherry Beach from the breakwall. It was one of our wonderful kayak fishing adventures!
Attached Images

mralbacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Cyn

Looks like terrific weather there mralbacore. Are those inflatable kayaks? I feel spoiled with my Hobie in that I can do all the work with my legs.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
Looks like terrific weather there mralbacore. Are those inflatable kayaks? I feel spoiled with my Hobie in that I can do all the work with my legs.
Yes it's a spacious 15-foot-long inflatable Classic 465 Sea Eagle FastTrack kayak. It's built extremely strong and safe in an open ocean. It's so-called a speedy "cadillac kayak" with optional comfortable seats - a pair of 360 degree swivel fishing cushion seats or 3 tall back foam seats. It can seat up to 3 adults or 795 pounds. Can be used as a SUP (Stand Up Paddle) and also, in Class III whitewater. Can take it everywhere on a plane when deflated... Am planning to take it to LJ someday... for

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post

funny

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
carbonbass

just be careful out there in the afternoon, have had many rough paddles back from the wall after 1pm with the mysterious winds that come from no where. Posieden will blow yee
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

just be careful out there in the afternoon, have had many rough paddles back from the wall after 1pm with the mysterious winds that come from no where. Posieden will blow yee

Play it safe if you have one like this... it's much fun...
http://www.windpaddle.com