Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Silver Lake Report

Perfect weather for most everyday at Silver Lake...a few windy afternoons but that's typical this time of year...no thundershowers until yesterday evening....but I was on the 405 by then...LOL
I only had a three day reservation so I had to change campsites to a walk-up site for the last few days...but the camp host was pretty helpful in getting another site...maybe the fresh Halibut and YT steaks that I brought her helped...LOL

The water temp rose from the mid 40's to the low 50's during my stay, then dumped again as it seemed like the DWP let more snow runoff from the damn up at Agnew lake...that warming of the water and the sunny days seemed to get the bite going...the first day (Tuesday) was about 6 fish and every day seemed to go up in the count and quality after that, peaking on Friday with over 20 Trout
The biggest was a 3 pound Rainbow that BBQ'd up really nicely with some Traders Soyaki marinade....
Catching and releasing my first Cutthroat Trout as the last fish caught on the last day of the trip...was certainly memorable...he bit just before sunset.

Ok Hater's...get it out of your system...HOOKUP BAITS WORK...
All my fish were on the Hookup's...I gave a few away to folks that couldn't believe I was catching fish while they watched...the next day they were ready to order some more. I didn’t use any other baits or lures for the entire trip.
I was trolling/deadsticking the 1/16oz. and jigging/casting the 1/32oz. Black Gold baits…most of the missed hits and hooked fish were on the smaller lure while jigging it when moving slowly thru the fishy areas. The best bite was right at the mouth of Algers Creek as the water flowed into the lake…the stream split into two currents and there was an eddy in the middle that held the Pro Angler right there in perfect casting distance to throw on the other side of the ripple and let the lure get carried into the main current…what a fun way to fish and the quality trout were lined up at the cafeteria just waiting for food to flow down the creek. When they were biting, it was a hit or fish on every cast…so much fun to C&R all those fish.

The Crawdads were a little slow on the crawl with the cold water...hopefully they'll get going for my next trip again in three weeks...we still had about 60 of em after a 2 night soak on the traps....they made for another delicious "Louisiana Boil" with some Meadow Farms smoked hot links, coleslaw, and Schatt’s Jalapeno Cheese Bread...

Grant lake was as full as I’ve ever seen it… Horsetail and Alger Falls were both roaring and a great way to go to sleep each night….Silver Lake is almost up to the campground road so there was very little beach areas to land a yak or a boat.

Momma Dear is still hanging around the campground with her three - 3 year old kids but looked pregnant with another load. Lots of kids and tourists from around the world were in the campground so it was pretty active this last weekend. Can’t wait to get back up there on the 9th of July for two weeks again.

jpg.gif IMG_4099.jpg (108.6 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4107.jpg (105.1 KB)
jpg.gif fullsizeoutput_482.jpg (51.9 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4182.jpg (59.9 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4183.jpg (58.3 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4185.jpg (55.3 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4222.jpg (80.3 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4202.jpg (84.6 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4205.jpg (158.6 KB)
jpg.gif fullsizeoutput_487.jpg (59.9 KB)
Attached Images

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 06-18-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Saba Slayer

Mo Pics

I hate this part of the trip....

Departing the campground and the view from "Oh Ridge" as you leave The Loop...

jpg.gif IMG_4220.jpg (103.4 KB)
jpg.gif IMG_4221.jpg (64.5 KB)
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
slobound

Great report, Jim! We were there Thur - Sun. You had kindly given one of the HUBs to one of my buddy’s. He was catching fish on it immediately. Thank you! We went out and bought some more today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

Boil...

Hey Slobound...Your friend said that you guys had caught enough Crawfish to have a boil Saturday night...Delicious, aren't they...

...And he said the HUBs worked for him...I hope he let his kid pull a few in...LOL
Be sure to get some of that Mermaids milk scent...it really seems to help to get em to bite and hold on...
"Don't Blink on the Sink"

Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
slobound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Hey Slobound...Your friend said that you guys had caught enough Crawfish to have a boil Saturday night...Delicious, aren't they...

...And he said the HUBs worked for him...I hope he let his kid pull a few in...LOL
Be sure to get some of that Mermaids milk scent...it really seems to help to get em to bite and hold on...
"Don't Blink on the Sink"

Yes, I think we got 70-80 crawfish between the 2 of us and we did a boil.

Yeah, grabbed some mermaids milk while we were at it!

As for his kid, I’m not sure that he was gonna let him lose the HUB. Hahaha! I kid, I kid.

slobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
rvonkaenel
Junior

Nice post!!
rvonkaenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Living it! Loving it!
Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
summers in kuwait

Great write up as usual Jim!
That area is so beautiful and photogenic!

Thanks for sharing, so I can vicariously share in the stoke!

Cheers!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #9
Yellfever11

Hi Jim-
I’m currently at silverlake.. staying here for the next 4 days. Btw what color hook baits work for you? I trolled with the pink ones yday but didn’t get hooked up. Caught one rainbow trout on green power worm.

Weather is absolutely gorgeous here!!

Yellfever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

Hookup

I was trolling/deadsticking the 1/16oz. and jigging/casting the 1/32oz. Black Gold baits…most of the missed hits and hooked fish were on the smaller lure while jigging it when moving slowly thru the fishy areas. The best bite was right at the mouth of Algers Creek as the water flowed into the lake…the stream split into two currents and there was an eddy in the middle that held the Pro Angler right there in perfect casting distance to throw on the other side of the ripple and let the lure get carried into the main current…what a fun way to fish and the quality trout were lined up at the cafeteria just waiting for food to flow down the creek. When they were biting, it was a hit or fish on every cast…so much fun to C&R all those fish.
The guys fishing worms from shore at the creek were killing it too...lots of hits and stolen baits.
Lots of june Gloom here in Redondo!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
cris

Sweet! I just got a couple of days extra off next week so thinking of heading up for a few days!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
rhyak

Looked like another great time Jim.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #13
YellowYaket

Great Report

Thanks for the great post, Jim! I was planning to be at the Virginia Lakes a couple of weeks ago, but canceled my plans when the lakes remained iced over. I have never tried the HUBs, but will definitely give them a shot on my next planned trip up there in September. Your report has me thinking that I shouldn't wait so long... I am also thinking I should give Silver and Grant lakes a shot, rather than driving right by them on my way to the Virginia lakes. Thanks again for the detailed report, and congrats on the C&R cutthroat!
YellowYaket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
Yellfever11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
The guys fishing worms from shore at the creek were killing it too...lots of hits and stolen baits.
Lots of june Gloom here in Redondo!

The bonehead running in Redondo yet? They’re fun on light lines.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
Saba Slayer

Threadjack...
[QUOTE=Yellfever11;301658]The bonehead running in Redondo yet? They’re fun on light lines.
You ask for advice then come back with another question...?

WELL...? how was your trip...? did you find the trout or any crawdads...?
Did the HUBs work for you...?

Old 06-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #16
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Always love your posts Jim. Like your camp set up! I hope to copy it and get up there next year! Where did you get your trailer?
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
Saba Slayer

Todd

Thanks Todd...

I'll email you about the trailer info...and some advise...

Old 06-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #18
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Thanks Jim!!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #19
Yellfever11

[QUOTE=Saba Slayer;301663]Threadjack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellfever11 View Post
The bonehead running in Redondo yet? They’re fun on light lines.

You ask for advice then come back with another question...?

WELL...? how was your trip...? did you find the trout or any crawdads...?

Did the HUBs work for you...?

Trip was great.. HUB didn’t worked well for us but we did managed go get the trouts on tesmanian devil. Some nice big brown trouts at silver.. especially during the evening hours.

Crawdads at Gull lake was a no show.