Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
shawny

Question All-around vehicle for outdoorsmen?

Hi everyone, so I'm graduating college and working soon, and I'm looking into purchasing a new or lightly used vehicle for everyday use. Activities that I currently like to do include: fishing, surfing, snowboarding, camping, and road biking. Activities I hope to get into soon include: KAYAK FISHING and mountain biking.

My total budget is 20-30k, but hope to keep it as low in the 20s as possible. Prefer vehicle that can seat at least 4 and with at least an average of 20mpg. This vehicle will not only be used for outdoor adventures (i.e. camping Big Sur road trips) but also 10-20min everyday school/work commutes and monthly visits to the OC (~90mi).

I'm currently showing interest in a new base model Honda CRV (w/roof rack of course), new access cab Toyota Tacoma, or used supercab Ford F150.

I know y'all are a nice bunch of superoutdoorsmen, so any suggestions or advice on what vehicle I should get or look into? THANKS!!

Last edited by shawny; 04-28-2014 at 10:37 PM.
shawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
socal.beach.bum

Quad cab taco prerunner. I get an avg of 21mpg, and it has served me well. 4x4 if you are into that, but will sacrifice a few mpg.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
Quad cab taco prerunner. I get an avg of 21mpg, and it has served me well. 4x4 if you are into that, but will sacrifice a few mpg.
x5
Been serving me well for 6 years. But i'm getting more like 16.5mpg Dam mini lift a slightly bigger tires. I snowboard, fish, camp, typical socal stuff and even did a few truck trails and in six years I only wished I had 4x4 twice. Both times I was in mammoth on heavy show but the chains did the job. If you have the money go 4x4 off road package. If not the SR5 double cab v6 is awesome don't bother with the sport model its all looks, it performs the same as the SR5. An SR5 short bed should run you around 24k out the door and loaded Offroad 4x4 package will be over 30k.

Last edited by Raskal311; 04-28-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
Mongo Johnson

Crew cab pickup with normal bed. Good all-round utility. Yaks (even 13') can be easily loaded in bed. Lots of seating. Versatile.

Downsides will be gas mileage but some newer models have improved . . . maybe a stiffer "truck" ride but lots of flex in carrying stuff, higher clearance, ease of access and tie down.

4 X 4 really isn't needed by most folks, nor are Tonka tires.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Crew cab pickup with normal bed. Good all-round utility. Yaks (even 13') can be easily loaded in bed. Lots of seating. Versatile.

Downsides will be gas mileage but some newer models have improved . . . maybe a stiffer "truck" ride but lots of flex in carrying stuff, higher clearance, ease of access and tie down.

4 X 4 really isn't needed by most folks, nor are Tonka tires.
.....right !...and if you really need to tow a heavy load for some reason its a piece of cake !...I have an F-250 Diesel and haven't been happier...with all the things you do your going to need a real truck
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
jettytaco

no short beds!!! You'll need all the room you can get. I had a Tacoma but now loving my Tundra. 15.5 mpg with lots of power and an 8 ft bed for everything I want to toss in there. Get a dualsport motorcycle while you are at it too to save MPG from your truck.
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
chxh8me

Exclamation

I bought my mother-in-laws old awd CRV to use as my outdoorsman beater. It's been awesome. I seem to drive it more than my challenger. Perfect setup for camping, snowboarding, fishing, kayaking, etc... Like you are look are looking for. And as I mentioned, it's a beater (1999), so I don't care if I scratch the crap out of it. But it's been an extremely solid car for all my needs. It's not flashy, and the wife hates driving around in it with me... But I've grown attached to it.

Maybe look into a penta star v6 grand cherokee? I think that gets 25mpg highway, and you can probably find a new one in your price range. I'm digging the ecodiesel v6 that they put in the grand cherokee limited. Good gas mileage (30 highway) and rated for 7400lb towing I believe (someday I'd like to get a boat). Unfortunately they only put the ecodiesel in the limited version and higher end models which bumps it up to 40k or more. I'm still debating on getting rid of the beater and the challenger and picking one up.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #8
cell128
lizard king

Looks like the short bed. Its the same one I got but mines an 07. Your gonna need a bed extender for anything over 10ft. I had to get one for my outback.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
shawny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
Looks like the short bed. Its the same one I got but mines an 07. Your gonna need a bed extender for anything over 10ft. I had to get one for my outback.

Yup. Will likely get this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2HWC6/...=I6EMSZCUT0FKV

If anybody has any suggestions for getting a 13-14ft yak on a Taco double-cab short bed feel free to shout out! Thanks.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
cell128
lizard king

I've had my taco for 6 years And I love it.....just oil changes and it runs like a champ.

cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote