Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Dante
dante

LJ 5-30 odd day out

short report
water 70
light wind all morning
lots of Spanish mackerel very few greenbacks
no yellowtail or WSB for me or that a saw.

Odd things -today.

1) When I arrive around 4:45am at the launch my headlights catch some thing white out in the surf. Run down into the surf and I find a bait tank. When I go to grab it three rods are attached. Three new rods for me!! Just kidding. I figure I will find the owner out there. Around 10 am I pass a kayak who looks down and does not have a bait tank. I think I found the guy. I ask and sure enough happy times are back
2) Around 9 am I hear a big splash behind me. Look back and 6-7 foot mako jumps high into the air right behind me and I notice he has my bait. He cuts though my flouro like butter before I can even tighten the line. Then I grab my jig stick and chuck it in the direction I last saw him. Not really thinking about if this is a good idea at this point but I did it. Sure enough the mako takes my jig. Why did I just do that? I fight him for about 20 minutes. He never really takes off. I am sure he knows he is hooked but he just swims around me in circles staring at me with his black eyes. I dont crank down on him because I don't want him anywhere near my kayak. Finally he turn and comes at me and lucky the slack line causes the jig to come out. Nice release and my kayak and me are in one piece.

3) Seal steals my mackerel on my 2/0 circle hook. so I dropped my empty hook into the water as I get a new bait. I did not realize I had left the reel out of gear so the hook sank a bit. I got my new bait in one hand and reeling in the slack line and what do you know I got a brand new spanish mackerel hooked himself on my bare 2/0 for me and said lets find a yellow. I am your fish. So I put the other mackerel back in the tank and used the suicidal one. Unfortunately he never found the yellow. Stupid ASS mackerel. I thought it was sign.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
Cbad Mike

You might only average .4444 posts a year but you definitely write a nice one.
Thanks for the good read and I look forward to your next post in about a year and a half.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
TJones

beautiful thing

watching a mako dance in the air . my first thought , the yellows are gonna be jumping in the boat . . always glad to meet a good man that is willing to do the right thing and help his fellow kayaker . i am definitely gonna try coming in backwards at least one more time . my success rate is far greater . hopefully we will catch up on the water another time . Anthony .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
bolocop

backwards...

what's this mystical tale of coming in backwards on a kayak? Can someone explain in detail? I get you come in backwards, but what are the exact benefits, etc? Is this done with a Hobie with Mirage drives, or paddle only kayaks?
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Baja_Traveler

I for one appreciate quality posts over quantity. Very good read.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

When the mako jumped up, were there 2 other yakers nearby? I saw something jump out of the water but only caught a glimpse of it, and it had me puzzled most of the day. I was guessing a sea lion going crazy. If I was that close to it it would have caused at least a shart.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
CKallday71

Not sure why but Makos always scare me more than Great Whites. They just have those helter skelter eyes and look like aquatic crack heads.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
h2ofishfo

Makos are prehistoric for a reason and the crazy look they give you just adds to it . All you can do is just stare back !!!!!!!!!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  101.7 KB
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Speaking of crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
Makos are prehistoric for a reason and the crazy look they give you just adds to it . All you can do is just stare back !!!!!!!!!Attachment 12602
Nice photo! I bet he was a tasty one.

Janine
Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Dante
dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
what's this mystical tale of coming in backwards on a kayak? Can someone explain in detail? I get you come in backwards, but what are the exact benefits, etc? Is this done with a Hobie with Mirage drives, or paddle only kayaks?
This is done with the paddle only. The advantage is you don't ride the wave in which can flip the kayak. If a big wave come paddle into it then continue backward after it passes. Just keep the kayak straight on the way in.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote