Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Big T
Member, You Member!

Dana Point Hoopin' 3/2

O...M...G... Those water bumps were epic last night!! Going out of the Dana Pt. Harbor, the waves were just pouring over the breakwall at high tide. Got out there at 6:30 or so. Rain rain and more rain. Every pull was 2-3 bugs.

50 bugs later (about 10 of them no bigger than my hand!) I was about to bring em in at around 3:45 then the harbor patrol came out and recommended that I not be out there.... Really? Where were they when the waves were ACTUALLY dangerous. It was dying down at that point. They also told me I was fishing to close to the mouth of the harbor... so I moved them all to the outer buoy line.

Just as I dropped my last hoop, the wind gusted REALLY hard! Come to find out it wasn't the wind blowing ME it was a wave carrying me with it just before it turned me over and swamped me...

Well, that just plain sucked. I righted the yak and just hung on it for a minute.... then the next wave came. Shit.

Got back on and paddled my ass outta that region. Grabbed all of my hoops and limped home. Went to Jack in the Box and ordered like 10 tacos and drove home.

Interesting night.

Last edited by Big T; 03-02-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
ctfphoto

Wow, your night was way worse than mine. Sounds epic, you will remember last night forever.

What I really like about kayak fishing is "The Adventure"

I am 51 years old and I get to go on an awesome adventure at least once a week.

I am always planning on the next adventure.

This sport is so awesome.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Casey

it was so nuts yesterday! We were there! ....Harbor patrol stopped us before it got dark.

Last edited by Casey; 03-02-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typ
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
it was the nuts yesterday! We were there! ....Harbor patrol stopped us before it got dark.
What did they say to you?

And yes, an adventure around every swell! LOL
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

The harbor patrol tells you that you shouldn't be out there, and then tells you to go out farther away from the harbor? Crazy!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Big T
Member, You Member!

Yeah, I thought about that too.... as I was dangling in the water.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Casey

our plan was to park the sailboat (That was us over by the bait barge), and work from the kayaks. using the boat to hank out in and be comfortable. We did the same thing last weekend outside the breakwater. I looked at the ocean earlier in the morning and it was not that bad.We stopped off in front of Doheny to check it out @ 4pm and there were waves breaking 300 yards off of shore. (never seen it like that ever). I thought this is not possible but Jettytaco and Juan wanted to give it a shot. So we pulled the boat out of the slip and BAM! The sky opens up with lightning and wind does and 180 degree changes blowin 20+mph. I'm still in jeans and sweatshirt at this point, stuck driving the boat I couldn't get my foul weathers out of the cabin and got soaked. Jetty and Juan dropped there nets and close the harbor and got told not to go out. He took there names and info then drove by me and told me that they would be on there way back.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
our plan was to park the sailboat (That was us over by the bait barge), and work from the kayaks. using the boat to hank out in and be comfortable. We did the same thing last weekend outside the breakwater. I looked at the ocean earlier in the morning and it was not that bad.We stopped off in front of Doheny to check it out @ 4pm and there were waves breaking 300 yards off of shore. (never seen it like that ever). I thought this is not possible but Jettytaco and Juan wanted to give it a shot. So we pulled the boat out of the slip and BAM! The sky opens up with lightning and wind does and 180 degree changes blowin 20+mph. I'm still in jeans and sweatshirt at this point, stuck driving the boat I couldn't get my foul weathers out of the cabin and got soaked. Jetty and Juan dropped there nets and close the harbor and got told not to go out. He took there names and info then drove by me and told me that they would be on there way back.
Wow, gnarly Mothership trip!!! The HarborPatrol took their names or the other way around?

I could totally see me doing that just before the cuffs went on. "Don't tell me I can't go play in the waves! What's your name officer?!!"

I kinda did ruffle their feathers when they told me to move my "traps". I promptly said, "The're hoop nets" I just got a glare and,"You've been warned."

LOL...
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Casey

The reason that they do that, is because you can be billed for rescue. If you go out and need a rescue its on tax dollars. If you go out and were warned that's negligence and you could be billed for the rescue.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yea I saw them breakers way offshore. Now I know why you want a lighter battery on your yak - so you have more room for your BALLS
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
The reason that they do that, is because you can be billed for rescue. If you go out and need a rescue its on tax dollars. If you go out and were warned that's negligence and you could be billed for the rescue.
Ahhh politics. Love it.

Good one Alan.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
StinkyMatt

Ok boys, listen up!

I think that what you did last night was pretty dumb.

You knew that we have a major storm in town.

Waves are breaking over the wall.

The harbor patrol ( people that probably know the water much better than you) tell you that it is very dangerous and you shouldn't be there.

You are stubborn and go out there anyways.

You are out at night.

You were solo ( post did not mention company)

You flip your kayak.......

Because of incidents like this, people that like to control others start looking at shutting stuff down.

Your ass was lucky that you were able to climb back in your yak and not get hurt or loose any gear.

Just wait for the sign at the launch...."no kayaks past dusk....penal code.$&@$&@"

Sorry, but that was a bone head move.

My two cents.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
jettytaco

hahah yup Casey, Juan and I were out there. We were all really curious if we could handle the waves. Juan was the voice of reason or WIMP hahah so we stayed on Casey's sailboat. It was a fun attempt thought.
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Lobster doesnt taste that good...really!

Lucky your still alive...let alone have all your gear....
Old 03-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
Big T
Member, You Member!

So.... I don't normally get into arguments or lash-outs on the internet or anything, but I don't appreciate getting called Dumb or a bone head. Not to mention a boy. That is more appropriately done to my face. Which nobody ever does. You don't know me from Adam (but he's a prick too) and you have NO idea how TAME what I did last night was compared to what I do on a normal basis.

Yes, I am lucky that nothing "bad" happened. I took the risk. And I don't feel it was dumb or a bone head move in the least bit. Risky... yes. Dumb and unprepared, no. To each his own. The same as a white water kayaker takes a risk. Same as any other person that does anything takes a risk just walking out the door. I think launching in sketchy La Jolla surf is way more dangerous than what I did last night. Many more incidents, injuries and way more people doing it.... At night.... Solo. Are they dumb? Bone Heads? Boys? I have gotten quite a bang on the head from landing in ankle-slapper surf but never EVER been injured or even scared for that matter in 10'+ swells.

You're too scared to do it. So be it. Don't go. And your fear of whatever night/storm restrictions they implement on kayakers is your own paranoia.

I've been going out in rough weather for the bugs for a decade. Either on a boat or a kayak. Rarely have an issue. If I do... and I do. I'm prepared and accept the consequences. Consequences that are far minimized by knowledge of the ocean, safety equipment and sense of adventure.

MY $.02

You're right ful-Rac! It really doesn't! But the accomplishment does.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
dorado50

I Agree.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Ok boys, listen up!

I think that what you did last night was pretty dumb.

You knew that we have a major storm in town.

Waves are breaking over the wall.

The harbor patrol ( people that probably know the water much better than you) tell you that it is very dangerous and you shouldn't be there.

You are stubborn and go out there anyways.

You are out at night.

You were solo ( post did not mention company)

You flip your kayak.......

Because of incidents like this, people that like to control others start looking at shutting stuff down.

Your ass was lucky that you were able to climb back in your yak and not get hurt or loose any gear.

Just wait for the sign at the launch...."no kayaks past dusk....penal code.$&@$&@"

Sorry, but that was a bone head move.

My two cents.

Being that close to structure with those huge incoming swells....he's lucky to be telling the tell!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
ctfphoto

Wow, Harsh.

I like the taste of fish way more than Lobster, so why do I do it, for the adventure ......

My wife thought I was crazy going out last night. I told her about possible lightning and she's like, Really!!!!!!

I just laughed as I knew I would be safe. Safety is always a major concern.

I remember last fall paddling into very high winds in La Jolla. My friend kept warning me about the wind, I just laughed it off as the white caps got bigger and bigger. A big one came over the bow and I'm like hmmm, I guess he is right so we turned around and started in.

I was in San Diego last night and the conditions were bad, but it sounded much worse at Dana. I do not know the area so I do not know what call I would have made on going out or not.

Have fun but be safe.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
StinkyMatt

I had time to consider my post....

Looking at it again...I now see that you did everything right.

Sorry for the mistake on my part.

Please keep doing what you are doing.

How could I have been so insensitive to your needs for adventure.

A big favor to ask: please call the news crew from ch.7 next time you go out for adventures. We could all learn how it's supposed to be done.

The words boy dumb ass, and bone head move were not an attack but rather an attempt to illustrate the foolishness of the actions you described.

Last edited by StinkyMatt; 03-02-2014 at 01:38 PM.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
jruiz
Large Member

I don't think anyone is questioning your right to seek adventure. We just don't think it's worth the thousands of dollars spent and possible lives lost when the people who told you that you shouldn't go have to rescue you. I highly doubt your float you have with your loved ones is to not report your disappearance as your willing to face the consequences. The reality is if you don't make it home people will be dragged into a dangerous situation just for your right to seek adventure.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Your lucky that nothing bad happened???

Getting flipped in 10ft+ swells at night....sounds bad to me...you sound like one extreme dude!

Glad you made it back!