Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Yak fishing baja

Baja kayak fishing
by Makobob
Ready to launch
Prime time, kayak morning launch
Kayak fishing in Baja can be awesome. Choosing the right Yak is important for many reasons. Safety, dependability, and function are all important when looking for YOUR platform. Many factors will come into play using your yak in a foreign country.

You are your own safety net, get a yak that you can handle in ALL conditions. Fish with a buddy, carry a radio and watch the weather. There is no Coast Guard in Baja. We have to look out for ourselves. Stay safe, think safe, be safe.

We just put in a marine radio station at mako-ville. It has been tested and I can hear you on the back side of Isla San Luis Gonzaga. If your hand-held is charged you can talk with base camp as far away as Isla Pumo. We CANNOT hear you behind Punta Bufeo as the cliffs are too high.

Generally you want a kayak between 12 and 14 feet long. A stable fishing platform is a little on the wide side. You can paddle or pedal a yak, the choise is yours. If you paddle your hands are full most of the time. If you pedal your hands are free to do other things besides paddle.

The ability to stand on a wider kayak is very useful. You can move around and stretch those tired muscles. Much easier to stand to releave yourself too. Standing also gives you extra visibility, great for sight casting.

You will catch lot's of fish from both types of yaks. I prefer a pedal yak. My old legs are stronger than my arms, so I go farther faster when I pedal. This also allows a backup propulsion system with the use of a paddle. Safety and fishability in a single package.

Outfitting your kayak for Baja should be pretty simple. Keep it to basics. Most important is a life jacket which you ALWAYS wear. Make sure it is comfortable or you might get tempted to take it off. A marine grade radio is also a must. Never leave home without these two items.

Most of us fishing Gonzaga use lures and jigs so no bait system is needed. You will need a way to store your rods and tackle. A strapped in crate can hold most of your gear. A gaff and lip grip along with a good pair of pliers with cutter are needed most days. I also carry a sharp knife for emergencies.

Seeing most Baja fishing is on or near structure a fish finder is very helpful. Finding rock piles, reefs and junctions between reef and sand are important to your fishing success. Your fish finder will help keep you in the right zone. Yes you can fish Baja without one, but you are moore effective using one. Fishing deep water it will allow you to set up with the structure and current. Keeping you over the fish equals moore fish for dinner.

Other items are good to have, and I have them onboard. A long sleeve shirt, sun block and sunglasses, remember an extra hat too. I also keep an extra pair of pants that cover my legs from the sun and a set of sun gloves. The last item is a GOOD pair of heavy-duty cutters. They are for that day you get hit with a heavy jig hook and it deeply inbeds in your body. One day it WILL happen to you or a friend, be prepared.

There are many moore items you can carry in your kayak. In Baja I go light with just the items I really need. Sure it would be great to have an ice chest full of cold goodies. However I fish Baja where less is moore. Tight Lines amigos.

Kayaks on the beach
Getting the kayak ready to launch

Sorry pictures at mako-ville.com and check out our NEW BWE button. Thanks

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote