Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
45user

Any NPH/CDM report?

Planning to go out to NPH/Corona Del Mar by the bait barge this coming Monday from 6:00am to about 10am. Plan to to just stay within the harbor. Any recent fish report from the area?
Thank you!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
PE.rider

With the Memorial Day Weekend upon us, be careful with the increase in ship traffic down there.

I was out fishing the points around the wedge and near the barge and it was choppy on Tuesday. Wore the stripe after 4 hours on the water.

Probably should have concentrated more inside the bay for Spotties instead of shooting
for Halibut.

Still, a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work....
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
StinkyMatt

Newport harbor may not be the best choice during the Memorial Day weekend.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Newport harbor may not be the best choice during the Memorial Day weekend.
X-2

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
DanaPT

c'mon guys. There has to be a place where this fellow can fish.

I've never done NPH, but I'm betting so long as you aren't trolling, have a head on a swivel and maybe just slinging plastics you should be okay.

Create your own luck and give us an updated report!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
45user

I was just asking about fish report but I really didn't think about boat traffic
Hmmm it gets pretty busy on a regular weekends during summer
I don't want to run into one of those big boats and they do go fast sometimes
Hmmm that maybe same for other harbors as well this weekend
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

What my response meant:

One of the busiest boat weekends in one of the busiest harbors and you want to fish in the busiest area of the harbor.

All the places will experience extra traffic but many places like outside of Redondo, outside long beach even outside the DP harbor may be a little more room to avoid the drunk ass guy on his bayliner or the rental jet skier trying to set a world speed record.

Go somewhere!

Post up and good luck.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
carbonbass

that sucks because there are rumors of yellowtail on paddies just a few miles outside of NPH, as well as some breezing 20 fathoms in pv....could be a hell of a season...
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Woodie044

I launch out of Newport harbor whenever I go fishing. But I usually fish the corona del mar kelp beds. There's always plenty of calicos and sand bass by the kelp. Haven't gotten skunk yet. I'm planning on fishing the kelp bed on Sunday 6am-12pm. Don't fish the harbor much because of the heavy traffic. I'll be in a yellow stealth 9 if you wanna join me on Sunday.

Woodie
Woodie044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie044 View Post
I launch out of Newport harbor whenever I go fishing. But I usually fish the corona del mar kelp beds. There's always plenty of calicos and sand bass by the kelp. Haven't gotten skunk yet. I'm planning on fishing the kelp bed on Sunday 6am-12pm. Don't fish the harbor much because of the heavy traffic. I'll be in a yellow stealth 9 if you wanna join me on Sunday.

Woodie
If you are gonna fish NPH this weekend, I would definitely recommend the kelp beds because they are rarely ever that crowded. Or you can fish the deeper water spots, since those are far enough out that the boats don't tend buzz by your yak. Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodie044 View Post

Woodie
Thanks for the invite but Sunday is no go for me
How far out is the kelp bed?
Thanks,
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Amish Ed

I've fished NPH on many Memorial Days. Fish the spotties around the moored boats and the traffic won't be bad. It's the main channels where you'll have issues. Or too fish the kelp, stay on the channel edges as you make your way out. Hang a left out of the harbor and you can't miss the kelp. I like to start about a 1/2-1 mile south of the harbor.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
I've fished NPH on many Memorial Days. Fish the spotties around the moored boats and the traffic won't be bad. It's the main channels where you'll have issues. Or too fish the kelp, stay on the channel edges as you make your way out. Hang a left out of the harbor and you can't miss the kelp. I like to start about a 1/2-1 mile south of the harbor.
Whoa.. good points! I was planning on doing Newport on Monday also, with my son. Pick up some bait to troll, but maybe head out a mile or 2 to deeper waters and look for rockfish? Maybe with the boat traffic, I'll just stick to the rockfish plan and head out there? Maybe hit the kelp on the way back in? Do you think the boat traffic will be a problem that far out? I'm going with my 9-yr old son, and would rather not have to deal with a$$holes waking us as they speed by every few minutes. Thanks..
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
rpd

I have a couple friends who fished the barge yesterday. You shouldn't be disappointed!
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpd View Post
I have a couple friends who fished the barge yesterday. You shouldn't be disappointed!
cool.. you mean just around the bait barge? trolling for halibut? thanks for the tip.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
rpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
cool.. you mean just around the bait barge? trolling for halibut? thanks for the tip.
yup lol. actually a 5 inch big hammer and he caught a 23.5 butt. Other friend made bait of the smelt kind and first drop was a 22 sea bashhhh... Good luck! and post a report!! Reports of calicos non stop yesterday. I'm sure a couple strips of squid on a 3 inch big hammer and you and your Boy will have a blast!
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote