Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Halibut: Tide, Moon, Temp, or Time?

I've been doing a lot of halibut fishing for the past few years. For a while it was just lots of pounding sand any chance i have. Then my buddy was telling me how he logged BFT bite conditions and found a pattern. I have somewhat of a log as to when i caught fish in the past. according to my logs...

Time: when there is sunlight.
Tide: after a low tide, as tide fills in
Tide type: very minimal low to high (less than 3' water movement)
moon: not full or new moons as they have larger tide swings
temp: water temp 59-68 have all bit. although 61-63 seems best for larger fish as it kind of matches with their spawn season.

Has anyone ever tried to see any consistencies or patterns with halibut bites?
Old 08-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
YetiX
n00b

Following
Old 08-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
I've been doing a lot of halibut fishing for the past few years. For a while it was just lots of pounding sand any chance i have. Then my buddy was telling me how he logged BFT bite conditions and found a pattern. I have somewhat of a log as to when i caught fish in the past. according to my logs...

Time: when there is sunlight.
Tide: after a low tide, as tide fills in
Tide type: very minimal low to high (less than 3' water movement)
moon: not full or new moons as they have larger tide swings
temp: water temp 59-68 have all bit. although 61-63 seems best for larger fish as it kind of matches with their spawn season.

Has anyone ever tried to see any consistencies or patterns with halibut bites?
I have been looking for patterns, not for halibut, but for all species. When I worked on headboats, we would sometimes take Halibut at Catalina Island in the dark and because most of our fishing was during the day, that might be why most the Halibut were taken in daylight? While working on ships, the slack tides have always been the most productive times but that could be just because it is easier to present a natural-looking bait at those times?

Some people swear by this application.

https://www.fishingreminder.com/

Some species spawn on the full moons which even though it makes it easier for them to hunt at night, because of the spawning activities they are hungrier and feed more during the day.

So far my conclusion is the best time to go fishing is whenever you can!!!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:47 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

The halibut biting well on an incoming tide right after a low tide has been documented for cabrillo shallow water habitate. Halibut in cabrillo harbor want bait. its very difficult for me to get one on a lure. let've caught 1 halibut at night. on a squid strip while waiting for lobsters to crawl in the nets. We've dragged dines throughout our typical cabrillo areas at night and we strike out.

another thing i've noticed is the halibut will hit within 2 minutes after dropping a bait down. if we dont get bit.. we reel up and drop back down. I dont know why, but they seem to like getting baits bonking them on the head.

Things i've learned from other fish species....
Yt love current. Different locations have a preferred current (uphill or downhill)
BFT love moon phases and incoming tides + semi rough weather.
i've only caught 1 legal wsb in my life so I have no idea of their pattern.

we mainly hit cabrillo. a LOT. If any kayak guys out there see a 17' parker with a loud 85hp 2 stroke, a net and a gaff on the front rocket launchers of the T-top (dead giveaway of our boat), thats us. feel free to stop by and fish with us or if you need some bait just paddle/peddle over.