Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
steveooo

La Jolla 7/27 PM Session

Went out for an afternoon session after work yesterday. Launched at about 4pm. Met a guy Josh on the water- Cool dude, should be a fish killer in no time.

Easy Spanish & Greenbacks all over. Minimal surf. A bit soupy out though.

I chased a bird school about a mile from the NW corner. Almost immediately I hook up on a spanish, unfortunately it was the wrong kind. It did work me for about 25 min though, and I got it to the boat 3 times before I cut the leader leaving him with about 6" of flouro.

Another bonus is that I got to try out my new Penis-Cam mount on my GoPro. Worked like a charm. Helmet cams are so yesterday...

Pre-warning- I make the vids for my own entertainment. If you get annoyed at guys that leave the clicker on , this very well could be the biggest waste 2 1/2 minutes of your life...

from Steveooo on Vimeo.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
jrenteri2045
SkunkMan

Hey steve it was nice meeting you yesterday. Thanks for all the pointers and hopefully we will fish again sometime. That video looks great, nice catch too bad i couldnt catch up to you on time to see it. lol ohh and love the clicker it makes the movie more exciting.
jrenteri2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
frugalfisher

I like it! Thresher Sharks from the kayak are always fun.

Nice work on the video.

I'd like to kill one for the grill after all my tuna runs out.
Wish I was pulling on that one, it looked big.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Love it.. Definitely looks like fun, nothing gets the Adrenalin going like a good solid run, no matter what is one the line.

I just want to know if that is a Sealine x20 or x40..

T's are up and down the coast right now but there are some huge models off Santa Cruz. A friend of mine trolling for salmon up there had something come in eat every bait in the water then it ate both down rigger balls and snapped them off thier cables the other day. Completely annihilated his Salmon gear: he lost both downrigger balls and a rod to them. Not to mention all the terminal tackle in the water.

I tell ya it makes me feel like taking a long drive with the skiff.

I've seen threshers do that here in the past during the May run at Newport, but it's been a while, over half a decade. Had a friend there back then that had the same thing happen while trolling big game gear. Even ate some surface baits on the short corner, he lost all but one with several 50Ws stripped.....; That said the fish he landed was a personal best over 400 pounds.

Those bigger offshore adult models are brutes, I love them, they really kick ass. I had one sound 1200 feet down off Rocky and had to follow her five miles before I could get her up on forty mono. After she was down over an hour she came up on her own and started jumping. Never could fo lifted her with the line alone, she was one hell of a fish.

Nice going on the juvi T. Congrats on the release. Means a lot to old shark farts like me.

A word of caution though.... Remember not everyone seeing this stiff is going to be cool or let them go, so the kayak fleet might want to be careful about posting a bunch of reports on the small T's on the web.

Fishing is slow offshore now, due to the cold water. The main mass of Albacore is way down still below the 1010 trench around the 295. That's more then a hundred miles run. Some PB guys are doing it and getting fish but most cant' do it, and it's been scratchy anyway. Lots' of guys looking for a local bite right now. PB guys watch this board (just look at the hits to response numbers) and they could come in and just slay those young T's in number. Offshore Threshers are hard to target but when they bunch up in close they can really hammer them. I've seen it first hand in the LA area. 40+ T's all under 200 pounds at the MDR ramp in a single day, taken out of a single cove off Malibu. Just not pretty.

Since the gillnets were forced outside we've seen a big rise in T numbers, when I got my 400+ they were extremely rare that size, now we see them every year. That said those Juvi T's are still easy targets and easy to over exploit. The gillnets can't get them now but hook and line guys can. I've written a lot about Threshers over the years, even articles, but I backed up on posting web info, just because they are so easy to target and exploit.

I'm not bashing your catch and release, or even report. Just saying there is more people can exploit at La Jolla then just homeguards or Seabass.

Good job! like I said it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
Gino

through the eyes of Steveo's Peen....

nice video!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
-scallywag-
Banned

I dig the camera angle and your salute to J.ceviche by leaving your bait clicker ON the whole time.

Last edited by -scallywag-; 07-29-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: i suck...
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
forefrazier

Way to go Steve! Can't beat an afterwork session pulling on some T~! Nice vid...Didn't know GoPro made a "penis mount". How did you keep it pointing up the entire time???
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Cool Video Steve , Nice catch
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefrazier View Post
Way to go Steve! Can't beat an afterwork session pulling on some T~! Nice vid...Didn't know GoPro made a "penis mount". How did you keep it pointing up the entire time???
It musta been a female shark. Kewl vid n music.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
rogersmith

thanks for sharing the video, awesome, if you get a minute, Id love to know more about the camera / mount as well. Your vid is remarkably steady for what appears to be a camera on a lanyard around your neck? Very cool.
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
wade

zZzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

really cool vid Steve!!!!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
TCS

Very cool. Makes me want to go fishin. Maybe tomorrow night.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
Regor
Greg

Great video!
That's it, mind made up, going out Friday AM.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #14
deepdvr

Nice vid steve!

I'm with Jim Day, be careful what you post, especially if its good. Even if you catch a 40 lb. YT, resist the urge to post it up.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Nic D

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
Nice vid steve!

I'm with Jim Day, be careful what you post, especially if its good. Even if you catch a 40 lb. YT, resist the urge to post it up.
posting is probably ok,,,, just wait a couple of weeks or until the bite dies
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
resist the urge to post it up.
Kinda kills the spirit of the "Fishing Reports" section, No?

Trust me, I don't post most times I go out because I know that the internet makes this a whole different ball game than what it was a few years ago. On the other hand, I see little harm in posting a timely report every once in a while that includes conditions, bait, etc. If there is never a time to do this, the entire site might as well be a Circle Jerk of Classifieds, Kayak Discussion, and a fan club for Josh...

Mod's, can we get a private forum for those that like fish reports?

The Post vs No-Post debate is old and tired and there probably isn't anything new to be said, so I'll stick with Matt's theory from a while back:

Originally Posted by Matt
"To those that share thank you, to those that don't fine by me, to those that whine about people not posting but have no fish reports of their own to share..............GO FISH!!!!!!"

Just so I can cater to those that appreciate posts, and for those that would like people to wait a while, Here is a WSB I caught a little while ago in the Pacific Ocean

Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #17
old_rookie

Awesome video. But I'd call that a chest-cam instead.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #18
fishes

Thanks for the report and the vid!

Is that an SL 30 or 40?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #19
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
thanks for sharing the video, awesome, if you get a minute, Id love to know more about the camera / mount as well. Your vid is remarkably steady for what appears to be a camera on a lanyard around your neck? Very cool.
The mount is the Go-Pro Chesty

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php...2&productid=16

Fun for a few times, but I'm not sure I'll really get my $39 worth out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishes View Post

Is that an SL 30 or 40?

Its a 40
Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
DOGHOUSE26

Great report and cool video with sound. Where did you mount the CD player and the hugh speakers to keep them dry, must be cool to fight a fish with the tunes blaring like that, I didn't think there was enough room on a kayak for entertainment electronics.
DOGHOUSE26 is offline   Reply With Quote