Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
asystole

Fish Identification

Was doing some spear fishing the other day along the South Carlsbad State campground and was on my way in. I was in about 8 feet of water, sandy bottom and noticed off to my left a rock about the size of a microwave oven. Sitting on the sand next to the rock was a very nice size fish. Taking a closer look I noticed it was a very large grouper, I would guess about 16 to 18 pounds. It was kind of a light cream color with tan colored circular markings. I just admired it and watched it watch me, didn't take a shot because I wasn't sure what it was and I thought it was pretty cool seeing a fish that large in the close to shore, maybe he was a resident.

When I got home I looked up some different fish online and the closest thing I could find was a Broom Tail Grouper. Does that make sense, could it be that is the fish I saw? Let me know what you think. Have never seen this type of fish in these waters before.
asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
kantstudien

There are resident Broomtail Groupers in both La Jolla and Redondo Beach. They are protected in CA, but it is pretty cool you got to see one!
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
roby
CEO of Team Roby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZp3RvcWb18

Go to 3:30
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
steveooo

These

Grow up into these.

Sounds like they fit the description?