Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
YakDout
Brandon

Question about hobie bait tank.

Can anyone tell me what style of fuse and what amperage is used for the stock hobie bait tank?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

There is no fuse
Old 12-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
mrJB

I think what Andy is telling you is that the tank has no fuse... Put a 3 amp fuse at your battery (positive lead), fuse type will depend on your fuse holder.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

There is no fuse in line from the pump to the battery?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

There is no fuse unless it has been added after the fact. Are you trouble shooting?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Kind of, I purchased a bait tank timer to get some prolonged battery use (Kayakfishingsupplies) . I tried to wire it in yesterday and thought I had it correct..

When I plugged the battery into the harness with the bait tank switch off, the bait tank started running with the timer working, when I flipped the switch up, the pump started running continuously. I then proceeded to change to wires that I thought could be the culprit and when I plugged the battery in my bait tank started smoking, and BAD. The positive leads to the timer fried and I heard a pop, which I'm guessing was the fuse. I was going to try to solder two new positive leads on the timer to see if it still works, but the fuse that was installed in the wiring I'm guessing needs replaced. There was a lot of corrosion around the fuse as well as waterproofing material, so I'm unsure as to what needs to go in. I'm guess 2.5-3amps?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

3 amp fuse should be ideal
Old 12-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Roger, thanks a lot!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
pbb

How much time are you getting with your battery that you need more?

Have you considered a new battery?

My battery has never run low, but maybe you are able to spend more continuous time on the water than I can usually get away for.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
crazywakeboarder

Do you have a one way valve at the pump? The hobies will drain if the pump is off
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
How much time are you getting with your battery that you need more?

Have you considered a new battery?

My battery has never run low, but maybe you are able to spend more continuous time on the water than I can usually get away for.

I recently purchased a new battery, and at the end of my 10-12 hour day usually my pump isn't even running anymore. Figure I can double the battery length with running 20 seconds on, 20 off.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
Do you have a one way valve at the pump? The hobies will drain if the pump is off

I would set the the timer to a short enough duration that it wouldn't lose much water , 10-20 seconds max
Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
ironcross6921

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I would set the the timer to a short enough duration that it wouldn't lose much water , 10-20 seconds max
Go get a swing check valve, I go here to get mine. http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/.../~ps=20/~srt=1 I never have to worry about my tank draining.
ironcross6921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

For fishing mackerel, I think you will be ok with the timer switch cycling, but if you fish sardines you will likely have a good amount die off.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

Ok thanks for the advice guys, I may install valve and look into a bigger aH 6 volt battery. Too many times recently has my bait tank along with the bait died. Usually happens late in the afternoon, right when the fishing gets hot.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
at the end of my 10-12 hour day usually my pump isn't even running anymore. Figure I can double the battery length with running 20 seconds on, 20 off.
You should stop spending so much time on the water!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
You should stop spending so much time on the water!

My recent move from the coast to temecula has me wanting to get the most out of my days on the water. Less trips to the ocean but more hours per day. The complexity of this theory, actually lets me get away from the girlfriend and fish a little more than before. Some real science behind it but I won't get into that right now....
Old 12-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
There was a post way, way, baaaacck, in the innovations thread that showed how to put a 90 elbow at the discharge end of the pump and a short length of pvc (~6 inches) pointing upward so that the tank will not drain below the opening of the short pipe. And you have to determine the correct length of pipe for your bait tank to maintain the proper water level for operation.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #19
TJones

anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
There was a post way, way, baaaacck, in the innovations thread that showed how to put a 90 elbow at the discharge end of the pump and a short length of pvc (~6 inches) pointing upward so that the tank will not drain below the opening of the short pipe. And you have to determine the correct length of pipe for your bait tank to maintain the proper water level for operation.
chime in on pics?
what size battery are you using yak ? 10 amp? or 7-8 amp? i cut the terminal connections off an old battery that went dead. and i reconnected it to a new 10 amp battery that i purchased from the main interstate distribution hub . around 22$ bucks i think . the hobie batteries are excellent choice of course . carrying a second battery during a long 14 hr summer day is a good option. i made a few mods to the tank myself . i screwed on a flex hose about 10 ' long .it was purchased from home depot .i can easily reach down and grab hose to syphon and prime tank ,or blow on hose to help clear debris . i also purchased end cap to seal hose , which enables me to prevent water from flowing out . if interested in pics , let me know . this whole idea and creation was another users invention . thanks . this mod has no effect on macs being disturbed because it curls around bottom of tank . no harm , no foul .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

I have a 10 amp hour battery, been through 2 now and they don't last as long as I need them for. How long can you go with those macs in your tank without new oxygenated water?