Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Asuncion 2014

26 November Sven, Buddha any myself hit the border at 6 am, 1 st stop FFM's, wow 5 whole minutes to process 3 of us. Paid right there, super fast and EASY. Off to BAJA. Met up with Zed and Ross at the COWBOY hotel in Guerro Negro after 3 pm. Day 2, we had a 2 hr and 20 minute drive to Asuncion. Stopped by Shari's place at La Bufadoro and got set for the San Roque house. Un loaded and guys hit the water. This drive can be done in 12 hours if everything goes well [no slow traffic}.

There were bigger fish here last December. YT 7-25 lbs, Dorado to over 10 lbs, Calicos and sand bass were available to over 20". Halibut were on the beach,but 30 " and under. Yellowfin croaker and short fin corvina were in the surf. Sven got a PB 11+ pound Sheepshead.

Have you ever cast a spoon in the surf at night under a FULL MOON?? Maybe Jeff or Sven can chime in about their night walk on the beach. Me I caught a cold and was out of it for a few days, BUTT.............................................

So I am fishing outside the surf beach break in 8-10 feet of water casting into the surf line. I hooked to a 30" butt just outside the beach break. He got me into 8 foot deep water and a nice breaker snuck up behind me. WOW over the falls I went! I held on to the rod BUTT it did not survive. It busted about 1 1/2 inches below the ferrule. So I think I need a new butt section. The tip seems fine, it was my FAVORITE jig rod. It was a 2 piece rod, I now have a three piecer and it was my "go to" rod for Baja. So after crashing on the beach I called it a day. Spent 3 hours cleaning sand out of my Threasher and a couple Calcutta 400's. Beautiful day on the water and lesson learned, if you fish the surf line you might just get caught.

Trip back to San Diego was un eventful. Yes this trip will be on the schedule AGAIN for next year. Hope to see you there. Happy Holidays.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

So I guess it wasn't as good huh?

O' well...

Glad you guys made it there and back safe.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
buddha

In some respects it was better. Bigger sheepshead, big calicos as always, better surf fishing lots of short fin corvina and big yellow fin croakers. Also dorados were caught none last year. Except for one day the weather was really good.

Good company as always.

These trips are more than about fishing.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
So I guess it wasn't as good huh?

O' well...

Glad you guys made it there and back safe.
Thanks Tony, they cannot all be great trips, but they are all better then we see up here and always fun for me.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I'll just add to this thread with my input on the trip.

My son and I left early morning on the 26th. We had planned on spemdimg the night in the El Soccorro area just south of San Quintin. However we got there about noon and could not couldn't bare the thought of spending the next 24 hours there and not tearing everything down and going fishing

Name:  IMG_1103.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  51.4 KB

So we carried on and ended up camping at Punta Baja, down the road and over some washboard for a couple hours. Nice spot for camping and easy kayak launch if you are interested.

Name:  IMG_1114.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1115.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1113.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  83.2 KB

We left there about 10 am and were pleasantly surprised that the washboarded road had been graded overnight and we were the first tracks on the freshly graded road. We arrived at our hotel in Guerrero Negro at 2:00 pm on the 27th and Bob Jeff and Sven arrived an hour later. Spent the night there and headed out to Bahia Asuncion the next morning. Arrived at Bahia Asuncion at 11:00 am and picked up the key to the San Roque cabin and unloaded our stuff.

I must say that i was very lax in properly recording this trip. I normally keep a detailed diary of the daily activities which I did not do this time; and I normally take a good number of pictures which I did not do this time.

Here are a few pics.

We caught about 7 of these:

Name:  IMG_1119.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  42.1 KB

Caught a couple of these. This is a PB for me.

Name:  IMG_1123.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1124.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  41.9 KB

I caught one of these off the beach. I'm rather proud of this one. About 30" which is a pretty good sized southern Baja halibut. It fed us well too.

Name:  IMG_1127.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  44.6 KB

All the days sort of ran together for me but we had different levels of success every day. Always 3 to 6 YTs in our group, albeit not of the size we experienced in January. Fun, nonetheless. Big chunky calicos were ubiquitous. Lots of scrappy corvina and yellowfin croakers and small halibuts in the surf. BIG Bonito.

Took a walk down the beach and took a shot back towards the cabin.

Name:  IMG_1130.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  30.2 KB

That's about all I have for now. I know Zed took a bunch more photos and I'm sure he will add some narrative here or start a new thread.

Great place, great food and great company. Can't ask for much more.

If anyone mentions that I got my truck stuck in the surf, you should question any and all input that person has on this trip.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
Tuff guy

Looks like fun, I have to go down and try that sometime
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
svendawg

my story

This is my story:
Great trip with a good bunch of guys. We did some serious fishing around Iisland San Roque and at San Roque Point.
Fishfinder sceen went blank on day three which forced me to start paying attention to the signs much more than I usually do. It even made me fish areas I would not normally fish because I could not return to the marks I had on my GPS.
Calico were big, 17" to 19". Sometimes they got into the way of yellowtail fishing.
On the last evening there, we fished the beach from 9:00 pm till midnight for some non stop Croaker action fishing crocodiles

First Dorado on a kayak, caught by trolling a megabait popper
Name:  DSCN2120.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  82.0 KB

Personal best 11.2 pound Sheepshead. The fillets came home with me but the head was boiled down to make stock for clam chowder soup we had one night
Name:  DSCN2127.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  60.5 KB

A days catch of yellowtail caught on megabaits in approx 200 feet deep water
Name:  DSCN2128.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  55.8 KB
Name:  DSCN2125.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  88.9 KB

Zed hooked up to a yellowtail
Name:  DSCN2131.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  59.1 KB

Hotel San Roque
Name:  DSCN2135.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  82.5 KB
Name:  DSCN2134.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  81.8 KB

Svendawg's luxury suite
Name:  DSCN2132.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  92.0 KB

Just for he record I didn't see any truck stuck in the surf. There were no pictures so it DIDN'T HAPPEN
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
If anyone mentions that I got my truck stuck in the surf, you should question any and all input that person has on this trip.
Nor did he lose a dodo off the gaff on the way into the hull of his Trident.

STAY! Good truck.

Got one of these and 3 jacksmelt off of Pta Baja on mussel lips.

Saw these after Catavina. Hey look, 3 ass' asses!

Saw lots of these.

Caught 7682 of these.

Found a few of these.

On these.

Spent the first 1/2 day and the subsequent 2 days paddling and casting like a lunatic for these. Finally I tied on a more than decade old pili popper, and cast out as a test of distance and action. It worked well, and a curious dorado chased it to the boat. I cast again 90deg to my R and two pops and a miss, third pop and 2 are fighting over it and it came tight. Small but tasty.

Sheepheadhead.

"I got some yellows and a dorado" beer.

Clicked off a lot of miles and cranked a lot of yards, 100-200ft at a time. Wasn't wfo but it was interesting enough to keep at it. Water was Bombay blue and we could see structure in 60+ft. Flyers were the only bait around.

I enjoyed the trip and company. I'm glad Bob you're getting better from your cold, and Sven too. We were worried about you, Sven. You slept the clock around on our departure day. Glad you bounced back for moonlight walks on the beach with your rod. Heh.

Hasta proxima.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

really good stuff, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

For some poeple a slow week in Baja can still turn out to be a GREAT trip which you will remember for the rest of your life. Do some research, get a few friends together and DO IT!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Looks like it turned out to be a good trip! Yellows, calicos, big sheephead, halibut, yellowfin croaker....

and SVEN caught a yellowtail?!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
cabojohn
PROBATION

Nice hat. purdy kewl seeing the lures used to catch them different feesh Troy. (love the pili popper)
Awesome report & pics.

Rossman- air them tires waaaay down and your golden on the washboard roads and soft sand...
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #13
Zed
BANNED

Lol
Sure he is.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
walrus

Mako, sorry to hear you were sick but, it still sounds like you had a blast.

Rossman, I'd make a joke about a couple of old goats, but, it hits too close to home. Actually I kinda expect to see beast in your reports, congrats.

Sven, looks like you got everything you were looking for at Las Encandatas and more. Nice Job.

Zed, I expected to hear about the truck in the surf from you? Nice fish and well done.

Baja or Bust 2015!! coming soon thanks to Makobob.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Zed
BANNED

What truck in the surf?
Old 12-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
What truck in the surf?

Sounds like plausible deniability to me, much like when I out fish my fishing partner(s). So who am I to argue?
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Nor did he lose a dodo off the gaff on the way into the hull of his Trident.

STAY! Good truck.

I seem to remember a wave throwing spray over the side of a truck, but I had gone over the falls a few hours earlier and might have been hallucinating, that is my story and I am sticking to it!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #18
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I like fishing with these guys. What happens in Bahia Asuncion stays in Bahia Asuncion
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #19
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Looks like a helluva time. Thanks for the report....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #20
alanhighhand

good report and nice picture thanks for sharing.
alanhighhand is offline   Reply With Quote