Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Subarualmen

Transducer mount... is this right?

Hey all! Bought a stealth 14 a few days ago. Today I've got around to inspecting it and this made me very nervous... it's the transducer mount behind the rear scupper. It is drilled in. I stuck my hand inside and can feel the screw... not sure how I feel about it. What do you think?

Subarualmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

Not the way I would have done it but if it doesn't leak and the ducer doesn't catch on anything then just keep an eye on it. Putting a good layer of goop on the inside and trimming the screws so nothing catches on them would be a suggestion. Keep an eye on it for cracks and don't rest the weight of the kayak on a point close to the mount to avoid stressing it too much
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

That sucks looks like the guy u bought it off of was to lazy to find the right screws...you can goop the inside and outside and ever season check and reply if needed...or you can take it off and patch the area from the inside with a plastic welder and then put the right screws in the recessed nuts...the second way would be the best way but more labor intensive
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
Subarualmen

Yeah I definitely don't want to sink. What kind of goop would be the best? I want to also reseal the livewell pump.

Thanks all
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Marine goop
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:09 AM   #6
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
First off (this is just my opinion) I would take my kayak to OEX SSB (the nearest to me and familiar with Andy's work ) and while there also check with him get his input or just have him change the transducer around and mount on the inside for a "wet mount" and seal the holes.
If I decided to leave it on the bottom, I might think about replacing the screws with bolts & well nuts for break away purposes in case it catches on rocks or other obstacles while launching/landing.
Or you could leave it on the outside and worry about tearing off the transducer or damaging it or (cracking) your kayak if your transducer hits something while launching/landing or just cruising around, also worrying about having a fish dive under your kayak and wrapping around it.
Just my .02
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #7
rhyak

I would goop it up.

Should be pretty flat and be really hard for it to catch.

Couple buddies with the same set up.

Switching the screws to nuts and bolts would not be hard get some marine goop and you should be good.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
ccacher1

I'd take the screws out and either fill the holes with goop / epoxy putty ...then get the correct bolts and bolt the transducer on properly. I have a stealth and its great having the transducer directly in the water as opposed to through hull.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

First time I have seen that, not sure why the molded in inserts were not used except not wanting to run to the hardware store. I would goop the inside where the screw heads are.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

3M 5200

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #11
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

If it were mine I would just leave it. Chances of ripping a screw out are almost zero. Even if a screw came out it would probably take an hour to fill with water through a hole that small and you'd have plenty of time to bail out.

If I were worried about it I wouldn't use goop, I'd pull out the soldering iron and weld it shut.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
Subarualmen

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on the screws. I will epoxy them and put putty over the epoxy to be safe. I'm a little nervous to solder plastic.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarualmen View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep an eye on the screws. I will epoxy them and put putty over the epoxy to be safe. I'm a little nervous to solder plastic.

Thanks a bunch!
Welding plastic takes some time, but it's not difficult. I recommend before you even take it out, seal around the area the best you can with epoxy and goop as you've stated, let those set and dry, and then fill the hull full of water and see if anything leaks out. If not, then you should be good to go.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Subarualmen

Thanks Jimmy. Where is the best place to get this epoxy and goop. Want to make sure I purchase the correct kind

Much apprecited
Christian
Old 12-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarualmen View Post
Thanks Jimmy. Where is the best place to get this epoxy and goop. Want to make sure I purchase the correct kind

Much apprecited
Christian
You can get the goop from OEX online or in store, you can also order it on Amazon. West Marine would be a good location for the Epoxy. I've also been told that the JB Water weld works well on the inside of the kayak.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote