Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
ccacher1

Native Slayer Propel 10

So, I currently paddle a stealth 9 due to store reasons because I cannot get a anything longer than 10 feet. I know, I know just store a bigger kayak...well that honestly isn't an option for me. That being said, I am in the market for a peddle kayak but the Hobie sport weight capacity is only 225lbs and the Native Mariner's capacity is only 275lbs. Then I saw the Native Slayer Propel 10 with a weight capacity of 500lbs... can this be right? I know people prefer the Hobie's over Native kayaks but this is really my only option for a peddle kayak. So, has anyone tested or bought a Native Slayer 10 yet? If so can you give me some feedback?

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-Propel/Detail
Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I wouldn't doubt it. Looks wide, stable and makes me want to get one! oex in sunset beach has a blue one on display, go check it out. The only downside I see to that kayak is storage. Other than that, i think I would get that kayak. Probably be able to haul ass too!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Slayer 10 is the biggest little kayak out. Very cool for that size. Try it at Mission Bay or Sunset Beach.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Slayer 10 is the biggest little kayak out. Very cool for that size. Try it at Mission Bay or Sunset Beach.
I feel like Native heard my cries for a shorter, high weight capacity, peddle kayak...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
kauaiboy04

Take a look and read this article.

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/features...ight-capacity/

There is no "real" standard way of measuring weight capacity throughout the entire industry. I'd just go and give a test paddle out like Andy said at any one of the OEX shops.

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
octico

Just my 2 cents ...

I came from a cycling world and really thought about getting one of those, but my understanding is they are prone to get tangle with weeds. If you are fishing local bays, where water is shallow and eel grass prevalent, you may run into problems.

I have never tested one so my opinion is only based on secondhand stories, like others have said go test one out before buying.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
taggermike

Reviews can be very helpful but You really have to paddle/peddle a kayak to know if it's for you. Like Andy said, that is a big small kayak. There are a bunch of good videos on youtube of the propel kayaks that are worth checking out. Let us know what your thoughts are after a test drive. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Toromike
Junior

I have the Native Mariner 12.5. and I will agree with OCTICO the prop does get tangled with eel grass. But it doesn't take long to clear out, and it not like to don't know it tangled you can feel the tension when you peddle. Very nice system, I have not had any problems.
Toromike is offline   Reply With Quote