Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Live Bait Rigging Question

Easily the most exciting moments I've had in my kayak so far happened with live bait on my line.
I try to keep at least one live mack in the water the whole time I'm fishing at this point...

Was about to head to the tackle shop to re-up my terminal tackle, and have been chewing on a couple of things.

Lately I've been using the three way break-away http://www.in-fisherman.com/files/20...-Fisherman.jpg
and also ordered some three way swivels so I'm not tying directly to the top eye with my weight.

Yesterday I pulled in my (break away) rig and noticed the bait had twisted up around the weight.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening? (not using a spinning rod, so no line twist)

I'm also curious how many people prefer a carolina rig or something altogether different.

I'm also curious how much preference there is for a trap rig, especially with Halibut being so finicky about the way they take a bait on the troll.

I have the worst luck with treble hooks in general, and have been apprehensive to try lest they snag on everything.

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 11-28-2017 at 01:43 PM.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
GTboosted

I use 2 swivels and hardly get line twist. This set up also lets the biting fish pull without feeling the weight in some cases.

Like this but lighter line
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-I7NCmdtuC8/hqdefault.jpg

There is also sliding swivels with a plastic tube that might prevent line twist better but I have not tried it.
https://www.landbigfish.com/images/s...-HDSSwivel.jpg

For trap rigs I started with trebles but unless you are using only huge macs you will end up killing a bunch of bycatch or shorts. They either swallow the treble or it's so difficult to remove that you handle them for much longer. Two circle hooks facing the opposite direction is what I started using.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

Sliding Swivel! I like that idea. I might try that one.

Good to know on the treble hooks.

I was also looking at a sliding snell setup... Might try that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gKTBPeOio
Old 11-25-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
GTboosted

That's what I do for my two circle hooks. Admittedly I never snelled a hook before and all my pre tied rigs looked good. First day out I lost a fish to the rear snelled hook. Knot gave out. The bsb in my profile pic was also on the rear snelled hook so I guess I did some right lol
Old 11-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
taggermike

I've found the old school dropper loop keeps the bait and weight separated better than the 3 way swivel.

As for trap hooks, many good halibut anglers swear by them. But I've found traps get tangled and hung up more, injure the baits, catch more small halibut, injure the short halibut, and catch more junk/by catch. I no longer use them.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
EastLosYaker

I use these in size 1 or 1/0

https://smile.amazon.com/Riptail-Cra...vel&th=1&psc=1
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
Master-baiter

I used to do a break away, 3-way swivel for halibut live rigging. I realized there was a lot of line tangles and twists. I started using Carolina rig, with snelled stinger now. In my perspective, it's much more effective with less tangle/twists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Master-baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #8
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master-baiter View Post
I used to do a break away, 3-way swivel for halibut live rigging. I realized there was a lot of line tangles and twists. I started using Carolina rig, with snelled stinger now. In my perspective, it's much more effective with less tangle/twists.

I'mma give this exact thing a shot next time. Thanks!
Do you find there's a weight you prefer, or does it depend on current? I've been mixing up between 4 and 8 oz.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #9
Master-baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
I'mma give this exact thing a shot next time. Thanks!

Do you find there's a weight you prefer, or does it depend on current? I've been mixing up between 4 and 8 oz.

I use 1.5-2.5 oz depending on rod/bait size. Less snags and I find better hook up rate. 2oz is more then enough for anything up 70ft given it's not a horid conditions

Master-baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Flounder

For me it depends on where you are fishing

Heavy structure - traditional dropper off 3 way with 12" Leader weight on bottom loop.
MY SD GO TO: light Structure 3 way set up like dropper loop. 12" to sinker and a 4' floro leader. extra swivel on weight and on leader stops twist. middle loop holds long leader. Use a lighter cheap mono for the weight so it breaks off if caught.
Carolina aka my trash finder rig. Have fished this one with mixed results breaking off A LOT more like 5x and always loosing a lot of full rigs. I now use it only for pure sand areas or getting a mac to mid water column or if casting live bait out.

But still learning
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote