Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Johnny Hirn

Anyone YoYo fish off the yak?

Hello everyone.
I have yoyo fished off of charter boats before for yellowtail, however we were way out in very deep water dropping only once we marked some fish. I was wondering if you guys use this technique off the yak too and if so if the gear was the same (mainly the type of jig). I have heard of people using colt snipers and sometimes flat falls but that is it. Could you still use a salas 6x in say 60-80 feet of water or should I move to a smaller jig since I am inshore. Just looking to further expand my knowledge by picking your brains.
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
dpricenator

I wouldn't see why not. No reason not to have a 2nd rod in the water. I would first make some bait, and get a mac out on a fly line. Then while you drift of troll, drop the jig. The only thing with the YO-YO is that it's tiring. At least with a flatfall, you have time to rest while it falls. Since I slow jig it back up, allowing it to make more falls, as I bring it up the water column, the reeling part is much easier on energy conservation. I picked up a couple nice bass on the small shimano flatfalls, my last time in LJ. I'll be jigging the Hook UP Bait next time I am out. With a fly line mac out back.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Talk to Rossman, yes I know he is in Asuncion but that is about all he does. Down there most guys use 6Xjr in blue and white for yellowtail. Yes this works in La Jolla too. Many yellows each year at La Jolla caught on Salas jigs. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Talk to Rossman, yes I know he is in Asuncion but that is about all he does. Down there most guys use 6Xjr in blue and white for yellowtail. Yes this works in La Jolla too. Many yellows each year at La Jolla caught on Salas jigs. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Regularly. I would wager most guys on this board have yo-yo’d from their rig. I have experienced the same success as when I’m on a cattle boat too.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Love fishing the yoyo from the kayak! 2 rigs one deadstick and one grinding at a 45.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=iron
Old 02-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
steveooo

Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Bump. HOOOOKUUUUUPPPPP!

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Repeat.
Drop. Grind. Bump. HOOOOKUUUUUPPPPP!

Steve you been eating scrambled eggs again amigo. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Dingokevin

Yup

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
Mikey Likes It

Yo-yo YT For Me

I’ve caught 2 yellowtail on the yo-yo iron off the yak in La Jolla. First one was in 180’ of water that hit a scrambled egg colored Salas 6x jr halfway up on the retrieve. Second one was in 110’ of water that hit a blue white mackerel pattern Salas 6x halfway up on the retrieve. So much fun when you’re cranking and then all the sudden it stops and starts ripping line out.

Got the second one on video:

https://youtu.be/bCcO48o1RJU
Mikey Likes It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
Johnny Hirn

Wow. Thanks everyone for the replies and nice catches! Guess I will have to try it out my next time out. Just curious if there is any specific areas in which you prefer to yoyo fish (perhaps outside kelp beds, over structure, just wherever, etc).
Thanks again and all help is welcomed.
Johnny
Johnny Hirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Likes It View Post
I’ve caught 2 yellowtail on the yo-yo iron off the yak in La Jolla. First one was in 180’ of water that hit a scrambled egg colored Salas 6x jr halfway up on the retrieve. Second one was in 110’ of water that hit a blue white mackerel pattern Salas 6x halfway up on the retrieve. So much fun when you’re cranking and then all the sudden it stops and starts ripping line out.

45s to 55s on your video is EPIC!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

I got this one on sunday on a friends boat on a silver and chrome sumo jr heavy jig. Ill be trying saturday on the yak. Winter and spring definitely bite the heavy jigs.

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
EastLosYaker

Video is sick brother!

Quote:

EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #15
greenscales
greenscales

Quote:

Yes - YoYo works. However w/6X Jrs aren’t as fast of a sink. I like to cast, sink and retrieve them - get bit best after a 60-30 degree retrieve and first few seconds after putting it in free spool if I find where the fish are in the water column. Great for WSB & Calicos, but works too good if Bones and Barries are in the area. If in deep structure w/a lot of places to get snagged - faster sinkers w/siwash to get easier and go vertical - Tady 9s, Snipers, even older butterfly jigs w/top Hook.
I almost never make bait anymore / unless I know the fish are very scattered. Rather look for schools or structure and target them w/artificials. I can can cover more water, maybe piss a Yellowtail off and get a reaction bite on a jig vs. slow trolling a live bait w/hopes they see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
Bruntoj

Like previous posters have said, put out the fly line Mac and then keep busy with the yo-yo or flatfall butterfly. My favorite place at LJ is outside the kelp 80-120. This one was caught while fast retrieving the flatfall at The Bump in late January. 33lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote