Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

DP 2/26 Report

Slow slow slow, but a beautiful day on the water! Got my launch from Baby beach a couple mins before 7 of course to glassy conditions, but made it out of the harbor and started heading for open water but past the break wall the swells were gnarly, and the current was uncooperative. Turned around and saw KevDawg and a couple of his BWE buds headed out to the pipe, and they graciously let me tag along..

60.5* Water Temp. and the bite was nonexistent,, a few bait balls went by here and there but other than that all we marked was kelp, didn't catch a thing not even on the sabiki :/ had to borrow bait.. But that did not matter because not even the cattle boats were catching..

Swells died down about 9 and after fishing around the break walls, we made out way to the Pipeline, 1 person caught a legal sculpin but that was it, slowly trolled our way in around 12 before the swells picked up again, and fished the harbor a bit, nothing, just another day on the water. Time to start fishing a little more south , Till next time!

Last edited by stevie951; 03-28-2016 at 10:28 AM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
joefish808

What was the water color like? Dirty green? A little blue? Reports have been that it's been dirty from Newport to past Dana point.:. I'm hoping that's changed, hoping to go out tomorrow. Thanks
joefish808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefish808 View Post
What was the water color like? Dirty green? A little blue? Reports have been that it's been dirty from Newport to past Dana point.:. I'm hoping that's changed, hoping to go out tomorrow. Thanks

Dirty green for sure, good luck my man, hit it early and hard! Bait barge is $10 a kayak scoop!!
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
joefish808

Ugh well that sucks. Nothing we can do about it. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice meeting you out there Stevie. Yeah, what a bummer day on the fishing. It was really SLOW. Either that or I just suck and should take up knitting or something!! I had something take my sardine on our way back to the wall and I tried being very patient since it was a 20lb flouro leader, but it eventually popped off taking my bait (didn't snap the line!!). And got one raked bait inside the harbor. Other than that, I had nada. Think I might hit up Newport next weekend. I wonder if the bait barge is back by now. See you around bro.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
octico

Yeah rough day fishing. It was nice meeting you Steve.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
fishpewrepeat
🐟

Thanks for the report better luck next time. Hey Silbaugh your arms weren't sore still from LJ? Lol that current was no joke lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishpewrepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpewrepeat View Post
Thanks for the report better luck next time. Hey Silbaugh your arms weren't sore still from LJ? Lol that current was no joke lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, no kidding LOL! Is this Geno? Nice meeting you last week and your wife too. Hit me up next time you head out there.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
Stuck20

Today wasn't much better. I fished capo reef and did manage 2 big sandies but the bite was extremely slow. Green waters and not much water movement, wind, or swell.
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Same here, slow this afternoon as well. I talked to a guy at the launch that said he caught 20-25 short bass outside the wall fly fishing so had hopes that fishing would be decent. Bait was hard to find but got what I needed at the Pipe, then searched the clearer water a bit outside the green for the flat kind but no luck. Didn't try for bass at all. Nice afternoon though with small swells, light breeze, and sunshine.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe

Last edited by alanw; 03-27-2016 at 08:28 PM.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
joefish808

So, yes, the water was definitely still green. A lot of casts for me fishing only lures, managed 2 calicos (one about 11 inches, the other barely legal) and a mackerel lol. All caught and released. You had to work for it today. No pelagics spotted like we're seeing in la jolla.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #12
fishpewrepeat
🐟

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Yeah, no kidding LOL! Is this Geno? Nice meeting you last week and your wife too. Hit me up next time you head out there.

Yea it's me nice meeting you as well that was fun hoping to get out this weekend to LJ but definitely open to heading your way one of these times also. I'll hit you up when I know for sure. Later
fishpewrepeat is offline   Reply With Quote