Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
ashmoz

Santa Barbara Area

I'll be staying in Santa Barbara area for two/three nights in mid March - I wasn't planning to take the kayaks, but now I'm considering it. I'm not at all familiar with the fishing spots, launch areas, & so on. I would greatly appreciate any input!

-Ash
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
TJones

101 ex Santa clause lane. Park beach side . Jetty on left. I have never fished. I am on phone. Got to make it quick . Have couple more spots. Some really nice, like state parks up north , or goleta . Feel free to pm for info
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
ashmoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
101 ex Santa clause lane. Park beach side . Jetty on left. I have never fished. I am on phone. Got to make it quick . Have couple more spots. Some really nice, like state parks up north , or goleta . Feel free to pm for info
PM sent dude
Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
TJones

reply sent

good luck
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
ashmoz

Thanks for recommending Refugio. I fished the kelp beds just to the south of the campgrounds with my bro for about 4 hours and caught these... Central CA is fun!

Cheers
Ash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09155.jpg (86.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09201.jpg (77.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Dave k

Nice dude! I'm planning a trip up that way in the near future. Gotta love those lings!
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #7
TJones

Noooooooooo

Not from my secret spot. Congrats.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmoz View Post
I'll be staying in Santa Barbara area for two/three nights in mid March - I wasn't planning to take the kayaks, but now I'm considering it. I'm not at all familiar with the fishing spots, launch areas, & so on. I would greatly appreciate any input!

-Ash
I actually have family that lives in SB when you go Let me know I can take you to some amazing kelp beds. I normally camp inside the camp grounds so i have access to the beaches for easy launches let me know when your going
Yakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
TJones

i was on my cell when posted

had to make it short. can you give me more details please. did you see any fin bait ? how far did you paddle? when i went i just paddled to right kelp beds . i saw some large calicos. that was along time ago , close to 2 years ago, when i first got my yak. flipped it in surf right there. right now water is probably to cold for calicos. did you try and drag for halibut ? or troll for thresher? glad to see you came home with dinner. pm me , if you want to keep my secret spot on the hush , hush . tight lines.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
ashmoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
had to make it short. can you give me more details please. did you see any fin bait ? how far did you paddle? when i went i just paddled to right kelp beds . i saw some large calicos. that was along time ago , close to 2 years ago, when i first got my yak. flipped it in surf right there. right now water is probably to cold for calicos. did you try and drag for halibut ? or troll for thresher? glad to see you came home with dinner. pm me , if you want to keep my secret spot on the hush , hush . tight lines.
I fished the kelps on right for a little bit but didn't have a good feeling about it so I paddled to the kelps on the left in 20-30ft of water and fished with a 6" gulp grub on a 2oz warbaits jig. Saw lings follow the gulp up to the surface. No calicos though. I didn't have to paddle out much, probably about 200 yards and we just drifted around and inside the kelps. We got lucky and got the best conditions, no wind, small surf, and glassy water. I saw some bait fish on the surface too, but didn't bring my big game tackle nor irons, just wanted to do some kelp fishing.

The top piCture is the right kelp, and the bottom one is the left kelp, and two random dudes.

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right Kelps.jpg (33.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Left Kelps and random dudes.jpg (56.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
Enceladus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
I actually have family that lives in SB when you go Let me know I can take you to some amazing kelp beds. I normally camp inside the camp grounds so i have access to the beaches for easy launches let me know when your going
I have family in SB also and we go up frequently through out the year. I'm headin up next week for a few days but the wife is banning the kayak this trip. Maybe we can set up a trip this summer.
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enceladus View Post
I have family in SB also and we go up frequently through out the year. I'm headin up next week for a few days but the wife is banning the kayak this trip. Maybe we can set up a trip this summer.
Sounds good to me I will probably be going up sometime in April or May