Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Jig Sticks 101

I am in the market for a Jig Stick. I have no experience using one of these and am at a bit of a loss as to what to get. I know that personal preference has a lot to do with it but I would like to ask the experts in our little group for some advise. Here are the questions. If you have something to say, please weigh in.

Size? I know some like 8' others prefer 9'. What are the advantages of each.

Weight? If the target fish is YT or WSB, what weight range will be best.

Fiberglass vs Graphite? I know that there is a price difference but what is the difference in performance between these two options?

Action? Here I am really lost. Why would one choose a light, medium or heavy action?

Handle? I know that some of our most renowned experts prefer the cork handle versus the kind that comes with a built in reel mount. Why or why not?

Reels? I suspect that recommendations will be all over the map on this question. For the sake of keeping it simple, please assume that I am looking for the best value when it comes to price and performance.

Other variables?

Ok guys, here is where you can help out with the subtleties and your personal preferences. Have at it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
THE DARKHORSE

Jig-sticks suck.

I've heard those 7' medium action rods with a coffee grinder works well, though .
Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I don't get it Josh, I have watched you toss a piece of iron 70 yards with your setup. Is that huge rod of yours not a jig stick?

Whatever it is called, I need to better understand the gear options. I am just asking for some help here.

Bob
Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Hypoxic1

Josh has your number on this one Bob. I doubt he ever leaves the house without that pole vault he carrys around.
Funny, its not in the class he uses, but I was just given a a nice 8' Sabre rod that im going to practice with. My reel is a Torium 16.

Now Im sure Josh can cast one helluva lot longer than I will but that thing he carrys around is really dam big to swing.

Now go catch a fish.
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Billy V

I'm not answering until Josh tells you "the real advice" on a jig stick.
-I know he was envious of my 7' tiger w/4500 baitrunner
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
THE DARKHORSE

c'mon, Bob.

My reply was in jest, Bob. You know that. The fact is your questions, as important as they all are, would take five pages of text to answer. My best advice would be to go somewhere that has a large selection of jig-sticks and pull on them yourself. For the largest selection in San Diego I would suggest going to Dana or Seaforth landing. They have most every top brand jig-stick in stock.

I have a factory wrapped Seeker Ulua 93H, a custom wrapped Seeker Ulua 93H, a custom wrapped Calstar 100J with six inches cut off the tip, and a Super Seeker CJB100H with six inches cut off the tip. These are my favorite jig-sticks, but you might hate them.

Buy quality, a brand with a lifetime blank warranty. I prefer a 30lb-60lb line rating, as in rated for 40lb mono.

For you, Bob...a few blanks come to mind. Calstar has a nice 8' glass stick rated 30-60lb. This rod is a nice compromise for someone scared of going full length. From there, you might want to look at a Calstar 90J also, rated 30-60lb. Then, pull on the GG90J, same rating, but it's a composite graphite/glass rod. The Calstar GG90J has a signifigantly stiffer tip, but it's lighter and casts a little farther if you load it right. The first two Calstar rods here are made for throwing lighter irons: TadyC, Tady45, Candybars, smaller Megabaits and so on. The GG90J, with that stiffer tip can throw the lighter jigs and the larger jigs too, like say a Salas 7X.

I hope this helps, have fun shopping .
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Thanks Josh, I knew you were messing with me and appreciate your advice, but I really want to understand the whole thing about rod selection. Having me "pull" a rod at this point in my education is kind of like telling me to give Tiger Woods advice on club selection.

Hopefully someone in our clan will weigh in with answers to my questions.

Bob
Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Billy V

OK I see He answered.

After a brief period of using a 7' spinner to throw some small jigs, I was given a demonstration of what the long rod can do.
It didn't take any further discussion, the demonstration was clear.

Go Big or Go Home. If you want to throw big jigs like the 7x, or Heavier, you will need a 25-60, 30-50, 30-60 rod. Preferably 9ft. I do also have an 8' 6" Shimano Calcutta that I like very much as well.

I like a jig stick with a stiff tip, but this is going to be a personal preference area. In addition to the retailers that Josh mentioned I will also suggest going to Angler's Choice. They have a large selection of jig sticks in a variety of weights.

The rods I have been using "daily" for the last few weeks are a Phenix Black Diamond PSW909 XH 25-60 9ft. and a Shimano Calcutta 30-50 XH 8'6"
Both are composite (another personal choice) light, stiff, and strong.

Good Luck with your shopping, and take your time selecting a good one they are not cheap.
-Here is some verbiage on the long rod, I hope it will help shed some light.
http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont.../rods/0/0.html

-I recently installed a cork puppy on both sticks to displace the reel clamp pressure, and for additional holding power.

Last edited by Billy V; 11-08-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
Ocean-Angler

If you want something strong and LONG, cant beat a Kencor Graphite spiral

9' 30-80#
and its probably one of the lightest for its strength
I sell them for about $135 new

Billy, that clamp is bad ass!!!

heres some pics ( this is the 8'er)

Ocean-Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
Matt
Support your local pangas

For surface iron there really is only one word ULUA!!!

For the yoyo I use a heavy calstar rated 30-60 and a torium or a trinidad 16 or 20 they both work great, I also recently bought a daiwa saltist that I have been quite happy using!!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
j mo

I was just in Blue Water and they have a nice selection of Calstars- I saw one used 90j deck hand special for $200- it was in near perfect condition
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote