Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
fishinfreak

Glowing Stuff in the Bay?

so i took my inflatable out tonight at humphreys to watch a concert with my family. on our way back to our slip, in about 10 feet of water, i saw multiple glowing worm-like things on the surface. they looked very thin (paper clip thin) and short (the largest was about an inch). they glowed green just like a glowstick you would use for hooping or yaking. they cruised through the water in a spiral motion, and the wake they left was illuminated green just like their bodies. over a course of 100 yards i saw about 4 of these dudes on the surface. unfortunately i did not have a camera with me to snap a shot of them. anyone have any idea of what they could be???
fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
TT5150
Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
so i took my inflatable out tonight at humphreys to watch a concert with my family. on our way back to our slip, in about 10 feet of water, i saw multiple glowing worm-like things on the surface. they looked very thin (paper clip thin) and short (the largest was about an inch). they glowed green just like a glowstick you would use for hooping or yaking. they cruised through the water in a spiral motion, and the wake they left was illuminated green just like their bodies. over a course of 100 yards i saw about 4 of these dudes on the surface. unfortunately i did not have a camera with me to snap a shot of them. anyone have any idea of what they could be???

Not the best answer available but this is what I remember from High School . The plankton in the water can create that affect when something activates them. Also some animals glow. Google bioluminescene, there are quite a bit of creatures that glow.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
umtduckhead

try googling dinoflagellates .... these also are the cause of Redtide.
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
fishinfreak

i know that bioluminescence is often caused by something disrupting the water (kayak paddle, bubbles, a boat's engine) but these guys were just chillin on the surface doing their own thing, without any disruptance. when i went over them with the inflatable, however, they stopped glowing and we could not see them anymore. seemed kinda like the opposite of bioluminescence. instead of disrupting something to make it glow, it glowed until it was disrupted.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Natural Fish Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
i know that bioluminescence is often caused by something disrupting the water (kayak paddle, bubbles, a boat's engine) but these guys were just chillin on the surface doing their own thing, without any disruptance. when i went over them with the inflatable, however, they stopped glowing and we could not see them anymore. seemed kinda like the opposite of bioluminescence. instead of disrupting something to make it glow, it glowed until it was disrupted.
some fish are able to produce this in order to attract other marine life for food. The Angler fish that you see in Finding Nemo, that's a good example of what they use that light for. The light will attract other and then the fish will eat them as they get close enough. Again some fish can create this at any time.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

those things are out there year round, and they frequent that area with the "nuclear worms"
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
taggermike

Sorry for the lare post but I just saw the question. Those are glowing polychete worms (segmented worms). Or more correctly they are the reproductive segments of polychete worms. The worms live in burrows in the bay mud and cannot leave thier holes to spawn so each year they grow extra segments that hold the sperm and eggs. They cut these segments, called epitokes, loose at certain moon phases. The epitokes rise to the surface and whirl around to mix the eggs and sperm. Why they glow I don't think any one knows. Many marine polychete reproduce this way and in some south Pacific Islands the epitokes, called palolo worms, are collected and concidered a delicacy. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
fishinfreak

wow mike thanks for the insight. i guess i was just lucky to be out there at the right moon phase! it was the first quarter that night so that may be the right moon phase for it to happen!?! i'm definently going to bring my camera out there next time and get some shots of them if they're out there again