Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
StinkyMatt

Diamond Valley Big ones...

Thinking of fishing Diamond Valley for Stripers this Friday. Never been there before. If you been there, can you share some info? Place to launch a canoe, no sit on tops allowed.

Where would you target Stripers working the stocked trout?

Thanks for any info guys. Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Gino

Stripers like Shad

Shad School = stripers
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

If you want the big boys work the trout imitators like a bbz-1 in the fast sinking gloss trout. Its an 8" swimbait really heavy use a small surface iron rod with straight 20-30 mono. Troll with it along the outside of the launch ramp and move east towards the east damn in about 50 to 80 ft or 10 yds of shore and just keep moving they are similar in behavior to yellows. If you want the schoolie grade stripers then use a 1 oz kastmaster, a shad swimbait, or even swimbait you'd use for calicos. Cranks work to but remember keep moving cover lots of water. Its good right now so good luck!!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
kareem korn

I'll go friday. I kayak there most fridays. I'll pm you my #. The striper have slowed down from the last few weeks. But, they are still working the shad. Lots of bass hanging close still.

Tim
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
TT5150
Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
I'll go friday. I kayak there most fridays. I'll pm you my #. The striper have slowed down from the last few weeks. But, they are still working the shad. Lots of bass hanging close still.

Tim
I was just there...I live down the street. The shads were NOT working. Fish are flying everywhere, we used everything imaginable, then for fun busted out a spoon and whamo about 20 feet down some striper. The bites are active on the NE end, midde north near first restroom, and last week someone killed it smack in the middle of the west end!!! There trout are a plenty and funniest part is the bass were stealing all the top water stuff we used.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

thank you

Thanks for all the advice guys. Taking my Dad and my son. Dont plan on doing too much serious fishing myself. Will be tying hooks and landing fish for them! Matt
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
I'll go friday. I kayak there most fridays. I'll pm you my #. The striper have slowed down from the last few weeks. But, they are still working the shad. Lots of bass hanging close still. Tim
I've been considering going as well. Tomorrow it's blown out all day, but they are stocking trout tomorrow so if the forecast stays decent Fridays the day.

A couple questions: I've never fished DVL, don't they have to check your kayak? I was wondering how long it takes, and are there any extra fees.

Also I have a wood Sit inside, I've heard DVL is sit inside only.

Here's mine:

Would that be cool for DVL.

At Castaic I fish Mostly Huds,n BBZs etc...

Will they work at DVL?.... and if so which do you recommend?

Maybe I'll see you out there. Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
StinkyMatt

Friday

I got some additional info Jim. They do have to check every kayak, boat, etc. The inspection on a sit inside kayak should only take a few minutes and they give you a sticker. After you have a sticker you are ok for the future. The only thing that was a little weird, one source of info said that they do inspections starting at 6:30am the other(their website) that inspections don't start til 8am. If I am getting my boat inspected in line at 8am , I'll probably wont get on the water til close to 9am. A little late, I think.

Since there is going to be a chance of a little wind left over on Friday, I think my Dad and I will probably just get a half day rental for $45. (25% off if over 62, thanks Dad!)

Maybe I'll see you out there, I'll be the guy with the birdsnest arguing with an older guy and not catching fish Matt
Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Maybe I'll see you out there, I'll be the guy with the birdsnest arguing with an older guy and not catching fish Matt
LOL
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
cappo
Junior

Take some kastmasters, blue and chrome were killing the bass last weekend.
cappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

it gets windy every afternoon of every day really windy may want to fish the morning
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
kareem korn

I didn't go. It's been alittle too windy for a kayak last couple days. The inspection while in line is for the mussles and moisture only. The sticker inspection is a different and one time only thing.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote