Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
fishingfool

Sorry about the wife but you mentioned her and i think you took something i said to be about her. believe me it was not met at anyway towards her.. Also don't forget that lake gregory feeds silverwood. so it must be contaminated also. I look forward to meeting you. I would comp you a boat and motor but you don't eat the fish. Well maybe you will change your mind. It's not often I get upse but I take pride at the work I do at the lake so please do not knock it. Catch a big one for me.
fishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #42
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfool View Post
Sorry about the wife but you mentioned her and i think you took something i said to be about. believe me it was not met at anyway towards her.. Also don't forget that lake gregory feeds silverwood. so it must be contaminated also. I look forward to meeting you. I would comp you a boat and motor but you don't eat the fish. Well maybe you will change your mind. It's not often I get upse but I take pride at the work I do at the lake so please do not knock it. Catch a big one for me.
Even if you proof is there I still wont touch that was sorry to say
But I will let you know next time I'm in town. I have to go threw there anyways to get to silverwood sunday but I will be there dusk till dawn
and hopefully it does good I caught a nice 8lb trout in November
Old 03-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #43
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #44
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR View Post

Old 03-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #45
Riskey Water

Sooo, what's wrong with some fish from the ocean ? I'm not knocking trout but SW fish just seem to taste better!!!
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #46
fishingfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-va View Post
Do you guys know any good launching place there? as i look at google map, looks like only the boat launching area....

Any other good launching area recommend? i try to avoid launch with all those boats...
Back on topic, wow... Min, I like to park and launch by the boat dock. I back my car down the hill and gear up right next to the water. This weekends tournament might have anglers there, but you'll get the idea. If you can park your car there, you can launch there. I don't know this to be the official policy, but no one has ever said anything to me.

I was out there last month in Catfish Cove off the north point, anchored up and had 1 stop shopping for 3 limits. That day they wanted powerbait with a contrasting worm and the good old inflated nighcrawler. We were in about 20' of water. They were also whacking the minijig on a drift that day, not much wind.

As for trolling a CD3/5/7, I like to use 4-6# test and troll at less than 2mph. On a pontoon or rental boat it's close to idle speed. Yup, sloooooow trolling has been effective for me.

I'd join you on Saturday, but have learned to stay away from tournament weekends due to the fishing pressure/crowds. I'll be down in NPH chasing spotties.

Good luck and post a report.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #47
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I love factual debates without facts by seemingly illiterate folks.

My outing to lake Gregory did reveal a good amount of feinds on the shore. My auntie also died in that lake so I won't be eating anything out of it but looks fun for catch and release. I'd be hard pressed to eat anything out of lake Perris or Newport harbor for that matter and have heard not so great things about the water quality at Silverwood.

If I had 8lb line and were tying on a 2-4lb leader about how long should I let it be. 5ft or so? I want to take my grandpa out for trout for his first yaking adventure.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #48
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by min-va View Post
Ok, i am having a BBQ this weekend, a friend asked if i can catch some trout....
But in fact, i never catch a single fresh water fish...

So my plan is to go Irvine lake to catch my first trout, i did some research online here and there, but to avoid skunk, i need some more information about this.

I am going to bring one rod only, i have a lot of saltwater setup, but guess they are way too heavy, my lightest setup is a spinning reel setup with 8lb line.

I saw people likes to troll rapala CD5/7 and powerbait.

Basically i have no question about trolling rapala, just like i troll in the bay for sw bass, right?

For powerbait, i think i am just going to add split shot and small size 6 hook, and let it drift?

Or you guys have any other good advise to help me catch my first trout?......
My go to Trolling baits for trout are In-line spinner roostertails, and gold cast masters, those never fail, they will catch trout.

If fishing bait, try a combo of Rainbow power bait on a treble hook and add either a night crawler, or pink power worm, and add some trout scent to it. Sounds like a lot to do, but it works, and don't be shocked if you hook catfish with this setup also.

As for BBQing trout, they are in the salmon family so some of them you will see that pink meat like salmon. Research the ceder plank BBQ method, you can even throw them right on the grill scaled, gutted, but leave the skin and head on. Grill for 15 - 20 minutes on medium heat. Below is a link for some more Trout cooking options.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._trout,FF.html

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #49
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
My go to Trolling baits for trout are In-line spinner roostertails, and gold cast masters, those never fail, they will catch trout.
Love seeing someone else besides me still going with the roostertails and cast master many people now days hate them!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #50
Hunter (The 80's Man)

I love the castmasters too,but they are alittle to heavy to troll from a kayak. a quick left just inside the gate and follow the road to the end takes you to cleghorn cove. There is a paved launch ramp for hand launching only not crowded,no boat traffic, better and closer parking. The setup is called a mouse tail or mexican top hat. basically a ball of powerbait for scent on a trble hook with a power worm on one prong hanging out for action. use contrasting colors. make sure you check the wind and don't get caught at the north end when it picks up. It's unusal if it's not blowing! Good Luck. rob

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #51
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter (The 80's Man) View Post
I love the castmasters too,but they are alittle to heavy to troll from a kayak. a quick left just inside the gate and follow the road to the end takes you to cleghorn cove. There is a paved launch ramp for hand launching only not crowded,no boat traffic, better and closer parking. The setup is called a mouse tail or mexican top hat. basically a ball of powerbait for scent on a trble hook with a power worm on one prong hanging out for action. use contrasting colors. make sure you check the wind and don't get caught at the north end when it picks up. It's unusal if it's not blowing! Good Luck. rob
they make 3 sizes of cast master but finding the right trolling speed for them is hard that's why rooster tails work great!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #52
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
Love seeing someone else besides me still going with the roostertails and cast master many people now days hate them!
I have been using those since I was 13 and have never stopped. They work, and that's all that matters. I don't know what it is but some think that if they are not throwing the most popular thing they are doing something wrong. I have seen people catch trout on small rapalas, but I stick with what I know gets numbers and even size. My larger fish have always been on the Roostertails.

Last time I was on lake Jennings about a month ago. My son and I could have limited out on trout in 1 hour trolling the roostertails, but I stopped so I could give him the chance to bait fish and see what if feels like to get a bite. He caught a trout and a catfish back to back all on his own. I didn't help him at all. He's 5, keep that in mind.

Stick with what works.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
Yakin

Quote:
I have been using those since I was 13 and have never stopped. They work, and that's all that matters. I don't know what it is but some think that if they are not throwing the most popular thing they are doing something wrong. I have seen people catch trout on small rapalas, but I stick with what I know gets numbers and even size. My larger fish have always been on the Roostertails.

Last time I was on lake Jennings about a month ago. My son and I could have limited out on trout in 1 hour trolling the roostertails, but I stopped so I could give him the chance to bait fish and see what if feels like to get a bite. He caught a trout and a catfish back to back all on his own. I didn't help him at all. He's 5, keep that in mind.

Stick with what works.
No joke I started to use cast master when i was about 8 but I been fishing since I was 2 1/2 but I am only 21 and I bed your son is a true addict after having fishing days with his idol especially catching numbers like that!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #54
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
No joke I started to use cast master when i was about 8 but I been fishing since I was 2 1/2 but I am only 21 and I bed your son is a true addict after having fishing days with his idol especially catching numbers like that!
Nick loves fishing. I can't wait to get him on the bay or ocean to get into some bigger and stronger fish.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #55
Yakin

Quote:
Nick loves fishing. I can't wait to get him on the bay or ocean to get into some bigger and stronger fish.
Love hearing that
Just watch the first time you take him out hes going to catch a huge WSB biggest all yeah!! then he will have something to brag about for 10 years haha
Your should bring him fishing at lake silverwood tomorrow with the rest of us for trout and stripers