Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
sbsyncro

Agua Hediondas - worth $50 to fish there?

Hey all, I finally found the "perfect" (easy) place to park, put in, and paddle, within 15 minutes' striking distance of my client's office (where I visit every week Tue-Fri). The problem appears to be that the City of Carlsbad believes that their lagoon is so precious that they should charge $50 for an "extranjero" like me to float a kayak on it (or $12 a day). Well I guess that explains why there was so little boat traffic on it today while I snuck out there for a "test paddle". I guess the homeowners along the lagoon have a pretty sweet deal worked out with the City to reduce boating traffic on "their" lake, eh...?

The strong tidal flows look enticing, and there were a lot of bait fish jumping in the shallows. I even saw a couple of 12-14" fish jump clear out of the water after bait. Those were encouraging signs, but I'd love to know if the fishing there is worth me plunking down $50 for a stupid city permit (and going through the permit application process) for a few months' worth of fishing...

I know - a lot of you will say "Are you stupid, man? - why pay when you can fish the kelp for free!!?"

Well the problem is that I can't find a good beach launch with ample parking, easy access, and reliably small surf that is within a short distance of the Palomar Airport-area office. When I dash off at 5:30 or 6, I want max time on the water, and with a rental car and minimal gear, dealing with long carries, sand all over everything, etc. can be a real hassle. Worth $50 for a decent fishing spot, in other words...

Of course, I'm totally open to other suggestions.... :-)

Thanks!

Thanks,

Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Jim Sammons LJKF

I don't know if I would pay $50 but I do know that some nice halibut have been pulled out of there.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Just to clarify...there is also some big arse bat rays in there...that's where my son Clay got his first sleight ride.

That being said, I used to fish it, until the lad got bigger. There are some decent fish to be had, and used to be better, but they try to restrict you to either the W side of the 5 near the YMCA camp, or on the E of the 5 where they prefer you to be in the back end of the lagoon so as to not interfere with their $...which is ski boat rentals.
I use to have luck throwing lures at the entrance right under the 5 when there was a good tidal flow going.

As far as the halis go, those are caught at the oyster farm/WSB hatchery side of the lagoon, W of the RR tracks on Coast Hwy...and no yaks allowed there.

Hope this helps.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
sbsyncro

Thanks Clay - much obliged. Thanks for helping me "feed my fix" for a bent rod and tight line while visiting this fair area. I'll be practicing all C&R fishing (staying in a hotel), so hopefully I won't catch any 40# flatties - that would break my heart! :-)

If you see a guy bobbing around in an orange 9' plastic tub with a rod perched in his lap and no other gear, chances are it will be me - please paddle over and say Hi! :-)

If I can ever help with spots up Santa Barbara way, let me know.

-Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote