Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

What is the meaning of "pelagic"?

I see this word used ad nauseam in fishing regulations. When I look up the scientific definition, it becomes difficult for me to understand exactly where I am allowed to fish, for which species.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/pelagic.html

Specifically, what fish are permitted and not permitted locally in San Diego under this wording:
  • Recreational Fishing:
    • Allowed Species: Coastal pelagic species, except market squid, by hook-and-line only.
    • Prohibited Species: All other living marine resources EXCEPT those listed above.
Then I read this:
  • Definitions:
    • Coastal pelagic species means any of the following: northern anchovy (Engraulis mordax), Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax), Pacific mackerel (Scomber japonicus), jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus), and market squid (Loligo opalescens).
Is this defined list of fish a partial subset of "coastal pelagic species" or is it an exclusive and complete redefinition for the purpose of those listed fish only, ... meaning that catching any other "coastal pelagic species" that are not specifically defined here as a "coastal pelagic species" a violation of regulations and punishable by law?

"Pelagic fish can be categorized as coastal and oceanic fish, based on the depth of the water they inhabit. Coastal pelagic fish inhabit sunlit waters up to about 655 feet deep, typically above the continental shelf. Examples of species include forage fish such as anchovies, sardines, shad, and menhaden and the predatory fish that feed on them."

Halibut are predatory and feed on anchovies, sardines, ...etc.

Are Halibut a coastal pelagic species? WSB? Yellowtail?

Or are we simply talking about bait balls, more or less, excluding squid?

[Depends on what the meaning of "is" is.]

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-29-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Well, there is the meaning, and then there is the DFG meaning. The real definition basically means suspended away from the bottom and the shore. Halibut are a Demersal species, meaning that they live most of their lives around the bottom. Although it gets a little complicated when they talk about benthopelagic fish which are part of the Demersal classification (basically suspended near the bottom). Pretty sure YT and WSB are considered Oceanic Pelagics. For Ca. and Federal rules purposes, Coastal Pelagics are basically bait only.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Mahigeer

My basic understanding is that the;

Bonito, mackerel, yellowtail, sardine, anchovies, tuna are called Pelagic.

They come and go from Baja to US.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
kayakfisherman

Don't forget: Market Squid are considered pelagic.

Does anyone eat those things?
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
Don't forget: Market Squid are considered pelagic.

Does anyone eat those things?
I tried cooking a Humboldt squid one year. I thought I would have a freezer full of squid steaks. It was not pleasant so I gave up on that idea.

I have always enjoyed small tender squid, cooked in a variety of ways. Octopus too.

Since DGF, in their infinite wisdom, has defined Market Squid as Coastal Pelagic, do you happen to have any favorite pelagic recipes for these?

EDIT: After dead squid languish in my sun-warmed bait bucket for half a day, they can get pretty nasty. I sometimes marinate those in Butt Juice. To my nose, at least, they smell fresher.
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Cure-Butt.../dp/B0010FVPJ4

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-30-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Well, there is the meaning, and then there is the DFG meaning. The real definition basically means suspended away from the bottom and the shore. Halibut are a Demersal species, meaning that they live most of their lives around the bottom. Although it gets a little complicated when they talk about benthopelagic fish which are part of the Demersal classification (basically suspended near the bottom). Pretty sure YT and WSB are considered Oceanic Pelagics. For Ca. and Federal rules purposes, Coastal Pelagics are basically bait only.
I always enjoy your knowledgeable contributions. If I met you as a fish & game warden, I could never argue with you and I would graciously accept any citation from you, with respect.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-30-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
My basic understanding is that the;

Bonito, mackerel, yellowtail, sardine, anchovies, tuna are called Pelagic.

They come and go from Baja to US.
I've heard pelagic described this way too, by fishermen, as migrating fish vs. local fish that don't migrate.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Zed
BANNED

In school, yellows were "in-shore pelagic" which is as descriptive as "jack mackerel". WSB were not considered pelagic. Tunas marlin swords dorado hoo --fish that are rarely if ever associated w land-- were labeled pelagic.

As long as its spelled out in the regs I dont care what theyre labeled as anymore. A sculpin isnt a sculpin, a wsb isnt a seabass and rock cod and ling cod arent cods. So just rely on dfgs interpretation of the language bite your tongue and fish.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
FullFlavorPike

I feel like the idea behind "pelagic" fish in the regulations is that they live freely in the water column: nearshore, offshore, or wherever. They aren't tied to any particular structure, be it kelp, rocks, reefs, grass, oil rigs, or whatever. Sure, they might aggregate there, but they are at home wherever. Ergo, a WSB and a YT, despite their different life cycles, share that common ground with bonito, dodos, and even marlin.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
octico

Problem solved ...

It's a clothing line

https://www.pelagicgear.com/

octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
Zed
BANNED

^Yeah they make the best gloves Ive used for paddling.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
In school, yellows were "in-shore pelagic" which is as descriptive as "jack mackerel". WSB were not considered pelagic. Tunas marlin swords dorado hoo --fish that are rarely if ever associated w land-- were labeled pelagic.

As long as its spelled out in the regs I dont care what theyre labeled as anymore. A sculpin isnt a sculpin, a wsb isnt a seabass and rock cod and ling cod arent cods. So just rely on dfgs interpretation of the language bite your tongue and fish.
Could not agree more with the last sentence. Not only that, but you have to know which way the DFG wind is blowing at the moment (because their interpretations will vary). Why WSB would not be considered Pelagic is interesting. As far as I know, there are only 2 other basic habitats, Demersal and Reef. Reef does not seem to fit, since they travel to different areas of structure and will follow schools of bait away from structure. I guess Demersal could fit, depending on how close is "close" to the bottom? The problem is that "Coastal Pelagics" are found in all the same areas? I think I will just call them a Demagic fish.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote